Graduate Division

International Graduate Students

The items on this page must be submitted in addition to all other required admissions material. Please see the Application Checklist of the program for which you are applying for specific information.

International Graduate Student Information

International students must provide documentation of financial support to be eligible for an F-1 student visa, which is issued by the US State Department. The estimated budget is determined by the UH system Financial Aid Office and reflects the decisions made by the UH Board of Regents. UH Hilo requires financial support documentation as part of the application.

The amount of financial support is determined by the number of credits required by the graduate program. The Estimated Cost of Attendance reflects full time enrollment of 12 credits per academic year (two semesters), and includes anticipated living expenses. Some programs require students to take more than 6 credits per semester and some programs require students to enroll in summer courses. The amount of financial support that must be provided during the application process will reflect the number of credits required by the applicant's choice of programs. International students must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credits each semester until the program is completed to stay in compliance with the US State Department regulations for students on F-1 visas. Though the required financial documentation requested reflects one year of enrollment, graduate programs take 2, 3 or more years to complete. Please budget accordingly.

Please complete the confidential financial statement (PDF) for international graduate students and include it with your application materials to the UH Hilo Graduate Division.

The tuition and fees listed above do not reflect the costs for the Pharm. D. program. See the tuition and fees page for more Pharm. D. information.

International Transcript Information for Graduate Program Applicants

All graduate program applicants with a bachelor’s degree granted by a non-US institution are required to submit the bachelor’s degree transcript for professional evaluation by a credential evaluation service affiliated with NACES, the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services . The general evaluation with grade average, not the course-by-course evaluation, is sufficient.

Transcripts which are printed in languages other than English must be accompanied by an official translation. Some colleges and universities provide an English translation as well as the original transcript in the country’s language. Please check with your school. Request that the transcript, the official English translation (if needed) and the official evaluation are sent directly to UH Hilo's Graduate Division.

Transcript translation and evaluation require time for processing and delivery to UH Hilo. Please be mindful of your program's priority application deadline so that your application and all application materials arrive at UH Hilo by the deadline for optimal consideration of your acceptance.

English Language Proficiency Exam Scores

International applicants whose native language is not English, or who have not attained a baccalaureate or higher degree from an English-speaking institution, also must submit TOEFL or Cambridge IELTS scores.

Minimum Score Requirements:

  • TOEFL 550 (paper based), 213 (computer based), or 79 (internet based).
  • IELTS score must be 6.0.

Students with degrees from colleges whose language of instruction is English need not submit TOEFL scores.

← Back to Graduate Education