Graduate Council Minutes, 10/24/2008
Dan Brown, Kenny Simmons, Chuck Langlas, Jene Michaud, Ken Morris, Cathy Zenz, Kerri Inglis, Kathleen Stacey, Michael Shintaku, Rich Biffle, Kathryn Besio
Minutes approval – Approved
- Mahealani Jones will be on program committee; Nina Buchanan is approved as additional member.
- Cathy Zenz is on curriculum committee/ advisory / ex officio
Report of Ka Haka Ula meeting between Chuck Langlas, P. Castille & L. Huong, Peter Garrod (Manoa Grad Division)
Meeting regarding outside members on PhD committees. Suggested that there be a fourth member who is outside Ka Haka Ula but on UHH faculty and who assumes an overseer role during the PhD process.
- At Manoa, Grad Division assigns to that role someone from a list of approved faculty
- If changed at UHH, PhD committee would be 4 members, 2 of whom from KHU, 1 is from another UHH department and an external examiner from another institution
- Questions from Grad Council about committee membership and concerns about how the proposed 4th member would proceed
- What would the outside member do?
- Students should have a say as to who is on their committee
- Suggestion that we get more information from Manoa before we take any action
- Dan Brown, Kenny Simmons, Chuck Langlas and Ken Morris will follow up.
- Provisional vs. established graduate program reviews. What’s the policy for provisional review?
- Separate process from established review
- BOR policy re: provisional programs and it’s a smaller process than our process for established programs
DB thinks grad counsel should use BOR procedures for provisional review with involvement of Graduate Council.
Review process for provisional programs follow BOR policy.
- Motion: C. Langlas moves that Grad Council requests to have a role in reviewing graduate programs from provisional to established status as set out by BOR policy, with recommendations reported to the Vice Chancellor.
- Ken Morris seconds
- Motion passed 8 0 0
Item 5 postponed until next week
Chuck Langlas raised the issue regarding ILL and whether faculty and grad students are going to have to pay for ILL charges.
Mainland & overseas for ILL: charges for graduate students but not for faculty. $3 book, $1 article beginning August 2009
If you don’t pick up ILL book & system loans, a fine is charged.
- Dan Brown reminds everyone to write in library support in grants – journals.
Meeting Adjourned 1:10 pm
Submitted by Kathryn Besio