Graduate Council Agenda, October 22, 2009
- Acceptance of Minutes from the October 8, 2009 meeting
- Discussion of proposed admission requirement change for the the M.A. in Hawaiian Language and Literature: add an additional requirement for admission, "submit a sample undergraduate academic paper (by preference written in Hawaiian)."
- Discussion of proposed minor Program Modification for the M.A. in Indigenous Language and Culture Education: omit from the program the current graduation requirement #8, "Passing scores on required PRAXIS examinations," and make it instead a requirement for admission to the program.
- Initial discussion of the program review for the China-US MA Program for change from “provisional” to “established” status. (See the program’s self-study and the report of the Graduate Council’s Program Committee.)
- Discussion of the process for adoption of a Charter for the Graduate Council. At its meeting on May 8, 2009 the consensus was that the Graduate Council would have two readings open to all faculty for discussion and revision, followed by a vote of all UHH tenure track faculty. If approved by the faculty, the proposed Charter would be forwarded to the UHH Congress for their review. The Council needs to now decide on the mechanics of the drafting of the Charter, such as appointment of an ad hoc committee to draft a Charter. A preliminary document was drafted by Dan Brown last year intended to be used as talking points for last year’s discussions.
- Other new business.