General Education Requirements
Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements at UH Hilo: Fall 2011 - Summer 2018
These requirements are for students using catalogs between Fall 2011 and Summer 2018. Students entering UH Hilo in Fall 2018 or later see the General Education Requirements beginning Fall 2018.
Please check effective dates for courses: you must have taken a course during a semester when it was certified for GE to have it count as GE.
Prior Academic Years
- Students Using Catalogs Prior to 2011: Please consult the appropriate catalog for requirements.
Student and Advisor Resources
- Advising Center: List of GE/Integrative Requirements and Certified Courses: Fall 2011, Fall 2012, Fall 2013, Fall 2014 and Fall 2015 (PDF)
- Advising Center: Advising Checklist of GE Basic, Area, and Integrative Requirements (PDF)
- Which Catalog Can I Use?
- Faculty-Generated Worksheet of GE requirements (PDF)
Forms for Students
- Catalog Declaration Form (PDF)
- How to request a course substitution or waiver of requirement
Using STAR to Track Academic Progress
Information about General Education
- Why Is General Education Important for You?
- Goals and Outcomes of General Education at UH Hilo
- Basic, Area, and Integrative Categories and Criteria
- FAQs about the New Requirements
- UH Hilo Transfer Policy (PDF)
- UH Hilo Policy on Catalog Choice and Retroactivity (PDF)
- UH System Agreement on Transfer of GE Core (Basic and Area) Requirements (PDF)
- UH System and UH Hilo Congress Approval of Revised GE Program 2008 (PDF)