Course Design and Development
Design Your Course in Nine Easy Steps!
Review Best Practices for Teaching Online Courses to get valuable guidance on the development of overall course organization, syllabi, learning objectives, student engagement, and assessments.
Login to Laulima and choose the course's tab.
Develop and upload a Syllabus that includes contact and office hours information, course attendance and expectations, university policy and service statements, technical assistance information, and a course schedule.
This Syllabus Template will provide a good foundation with helpful sample text that you can modify for use in your course. It includes the above referenced syllabus information, plus course completion requirements and a course schedule you can fill in.
Samples of University Policy and Service Statements including:
- Academic Advising
- Academic Success
- Disability Services
- Mental Health/Suicide Prevention
- Title IX
Add a Welcome page to your course to provide students with important information.
- This Homepage template will provide a good foundation with helpful sample text that you can modify and add to your course.
Add Tools for course content delivery, communication, assignments, exams, and more.
Two weeks prior to the semester send out an email to students with important information about your course:
Using the UH Hilo Quality Online Course Design Guidelines, successfully complete the review of your online course with Cindy Yamaguchi and obtain the Quality Online Course Design Certification for your course.
For more assistance:
- Contact Cindy Yamaguchi (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Request Assistance from Laulima Admin .
- View Laulima's General Help files .
- Check these Helpful Articles.
Laulima Fix-its and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Access helpful solutions and FAQ's from your peers - Send Cindy Yamaguchi your questions and solutions.
- Communications - Includes giving students access to Discussions on a specific date or time.
- Grading - Covers how to fix Gradebook so dashes don't make student grades higher.
- PowerPoint - Includes advice on tools to deliver your PowerPoints online and fixing problems.
- Syllabus - Covers how to get your online students to read your Syllabus.
- Testing - Includes how to set an exam for just one student.
- More Laulima FAQs