Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Information for Students Seeking BA in Psychology Through Distance Education
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Psychology Department has been awarding Bachelor of Arts degrees in Psychology for more than 40 years. We provide our more than 250 undergraduates with a well-rounded comprehensive education in key branches of Psychology. Many courses are delivered in both face-to- face and on-line formats to facilitate degree completion of our majors. Any student admitted to UH Hilo may enroll in our Psychology online classes if they meet course prerequisites and if seats are available at the time of their registration. We no longer restrict our Psychology online classes to a limited number of students admitted to a DL-Program from a limited geographic area as was done in the past.
Students wishing to pursue a BA degree in Psychology from UH Hilo from a distant location by taking only online Psychology classes are advised of the following:
- You should complete the UH Hilo general education requirements prior to entry to UH Hilo. UH Hilo general education requirements may be fulfilled by completing an AA degree from a community college, or by completing specific general education Basic and Area course requirements.
- Once you have completed the UH Hilo general education requirements, you may apply for admission to UH Hilo and declare Psychology as your major. If you meet course prerequisites, you may be able to enroll in UH Hilo online courses, including those offered in Psychology and from other UH Hilo departments. Keep in mind that your registration time is based on your class standing (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior) which may result in online classes being filled before your designated registration time.
- You may enroll in online classes from UH Mānoa, UH West Oʻahu, and UH Maui College to complete:
- courses applicable to the UH Hilo Psychology major
- upper division course credits (you need a total of 45 upper division credits - upper division PSY major courses will apply to this requirement)
- additional credits to reach a total of 120 credits required for the BA degree
- Credits taken at other campuses within the University of Hawaiʻi System may be counted to determine your enrollment status as long as the courses are required for your degree at UH Hilo. Before they can be counted, the courses must be approved by an academic advisor. You must complete a Prior Authorization for Transfer Credit for Financial Aid Form (PDF) and submit a signed copy to the Financial Aid Office.
- Effective Fall 2015, students will be required to maintain at least six (6) credit hours of enrollment at UH Hilo during the Fall/Spring terms (at least (3) during the Summer term) to be eligible for a Prior Authorization for Transfer Credit for Financial Aid.
- If you are enrolled in classes at an institution outside of the University of Hawaiʻi System, a consortium agreement must also be completed with the other campus.
- Contact the UH Hilo Financial Aid Office for more information about being a multiple campus registrant and being eligible for UH Hilo financial aid.
- You will need a total of 30 UH Hilo credits to earn a UH Hilo degree (so you must complete 30 credits from UH Hilo classes).
- You will need a minimum of 10 credits for the Psychology major (of the 41 credits required for the Psychology major) from UH Hilo.
- You will be assigned a Psychology faculty member as your advisor who you may consult with at any time regarding courses and degree completion.
- We have a large number of Psychology majors and very high demand for our online Psychology classes. As a result, there may be semesters when you are not able to enroll in a UH Hilo online Psychology class and must enroll instead in an online class from another UH Hilo department or from another UH campus. However, keep in mind that you must be enrolled for at least one credit from UH Hilo to maintain your status as an active UH Hilo student.
Students pursuing their BA degree in Psychology from UH Hilo solely through online courses do not have enrollment priority in online courses. As a result, completing your Psychology BA degree through only online courses may be difficult. However, through a combination of online courses from UH Hilo and other UH campuses you may indeed be able to complete the degree requirements for a BA degree in Psychology from UH Hilo.
For more information about how you might be able to complete your BA degree in Psychology “from a distance” through online courses from UH Hilo please:
- Review the Psychology BA Degree Requirements
- Contact Dr. Cheryl Ramos , Coordinator of Undergraduate Studies, Department of Psychology to discuss your academic history (e.g. courses already completed, progress toward completing UH Hilo general education requirements) and your interest in the Psychology BA degree from UH Hilo.
Mahalo for your interest in a BA degree in Psychology from the University of Hawaiʻi Hilo.
Adam A. Pack , Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Department of Psychology