English Language Travel Study Program
Welcome to the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo's English language travel study program.
Imagine! Your students improving their English language skills while discovering the Big Island of Hawaiʻi — its friendly people, colorful cultural diversity, natural beauty and rich Hawaiian heritage.
The customized program for university groups includes English classroom instruction and in-the-field practicum, an introduction to Hawaiian culture, history and crafts, and the opportunity to explore our Big Island of Hawaiʻi and make friends with many of its people including host families.
We guarantee that after two weeks your students will be able to:
- shop for poi and kim chee in an American supermarket
- pronounce King Kamehameha
- order a loco moco for lunch at a local-style restaurant
- tell the difference between aʻa and pahoehoe
- chat about hobbies, pets, music or sports with new friends
- use the telephone to order a pizza or call a taxi
- do the shaka
- dance hula
- ask for directions and navigate downtown Hilo by following street signs
- take home improved English language skills and many, many memories and photos
Our customized English language travel study programs include:
- Airport lei greeting and orientation
- Welcome dinner
- English language classroom instruction for which students receive a certificate of completion
- English practicum and field trips
- Hawaiian culture and crafts instruction
- Conversation partners
- Weekend excursions
- HomeStay opportunities
- Farewell function
Your students will spend their weekends exploring the Big Island with its colorful cultural diversity and rich Hawaiian heritage:
- our approachable and fascinating active volcano in Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park
- the Kona Coast with its ancient Hawaiian temples and contemporary resort shops
- the white sand beaches of the Kohala Coast
- Hilo and its friendly small town atmosphere with a tropical flair
- the waterfalls, tropical gardens, and quaint country towns of the Hāmākua Coast
Programs can be designed to run from two weeks to three months. Housing options vary depending upon availability but include University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo dormitories, off-campus student housing apartments, hotels or HomeStay. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served in campus dining halls. Picnics, box lunches, a welcome function and farewell banquet, Hawaiian buffet and local style treats are also part of your students' travel study experience.
The minimum number of student participants is 15 and the maximum is 30. We require one accompanying faculty member for every 30 students.