UH Hilo Analytical Laboratory
Welcome to the Web Site of the UH Hilo Analytical Laboratory
The UH Hilo Analytical Laboratory was established in 2003 with a National Science Foundation EPSCoR grant. Our mission is to support research at the University of Hawaii. Our primary focus is supporting ecological research and water quality studies. We provide analytical services for researchers throughout the University of Hawaii System as well as Federal and state agency research projects in the State of Hawaii. We also provide analytical services for visiting researchers from other universities. We have established an Analytical Revolving Fund with the Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii (RCUH). The laboratory is managed by Tara Holitzki under the direction of Dr. Tracy Wiegner.
Our facility is located in the Marine Science Building at the University of Hawaii Hilo. The services provided by the laboratory include:
- Nutrient analyses of water samples using a Lachat Quikchem 8500(Lachat, Hach Company)
- Total organic carbon and total nitrogen analysis of water samples by high-temperature combustion using a TOC/TN Analyzer ( Shimadzu TOC-V , TNM-1 )
- Particulate carbon and nitrogen analyses of soils, sediments, plant materials, plankton and filters using high temperature combustion ( Costech Elemental Analyzer )
- Stable isotopic analyses of particulate carbon and nitrogen for soils, plant materials, plankton, filters, and animal tissue samples using an Isotope Ratio Mass Spectrometer (Thermo-Finnegan Delta V IRMS )
- Elemental analysis of major and minor elements in water, plant materials, soils and sediments, and animal tissue using an ICP-OES Spectrometer (Varian Vista MPX )
- Nutrient analyses of KCl soil samples using an AutoAnalyzer (AAI
, Pulse Instrumentation, Labtronics )
To submit samples:
- Complete the Sample Submission Form
- Email completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
New lab logo!
To purchase t-shirts:
- $15 each
- Stop by the lab or contact email@example.com to order your shirt today!
We now accept all major credit cards! There is a 3% fee on invoices > $1000
About This Website
This web site was provided by the Faculty Website Development Project of EPSCoR-UH Hilo-CERE at University of Hawaii at Hilo, under the grant from EPSCoR, Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research, Hawaii which is funded by the National Science Foundation. The page design and XHTML/CSS coding for this entire web site is the works of Kohei Miyagi who graduated with a major in Computer Science at the UH Hilo.