The application process is used to inform the PIPES Selection Committee about your background, your interests, and your skills. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Upon review of your completed application and materials, you will be notified of your application status. If you are selected as a semi-finalist, a personal interview will be conducted by the PIPES Selection Committee. Note: It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure all materials are submitted by the program deadline.
What to Submit
Step 1: Online Application Form
* A message will display after you've successfully submitted your online application.
Step 2: Additional Application Materials
In addition to completing the PIPES Online Application, the following materials must be submitted to the PIPES Office by fax, mail or email. All application materials must be received to be considered for the program.
- Essay Response: Write a statement that addresses each of the following:
- Describe your academic and career interests and goals/objectives and how participation in the PIPES Program will help you achieve those goals/objectives;
- Tell us what motivates you to work on environmental issues in Hawaii;
- Let us know why you feel you are particularly qualified for this program; and
- Provide details of any experiences that you feel are relevant to your application (Note: previous experience is not required for selection).
- Resume: Please send a current resume that includes the following information:
- Current and past work experience
- Related volunteer experience
- Education and course work experience related to environmental topics
- Past awards or honors
- Related hobbies (i.e. free diving, hiking, etc.)
- Faculty Recommendation Forms: Two (2) completed Faculty Recommendation Forms are required. Fill out the top portion of the Faculty Recommendation Forms before giving to your references. It is your responsibility that these are submitted by the deadline.
- Transcript(s): You must submit a copy of your latest transcript. Unofficial transcripts are accepted.
- For Freshman Applicants-please submit a copy of your high school transcript if you have completed less than two semesters (or three quarters) of college.
- For Transfer Applicants- please also submit transcripts from your previous institution(s).
When to Submit - Application deadline is FEBRUARY 28th!
2013 program online applications are now available!
Where to Submit
Additional application materials must be submitted to the PIPES Office.
All application materials must be received to be considered for the program.
You may mail, fax or email your application materials to:
University of Hawaii at Hilo
200 W. Kawili St.
Hilo, HI 96720