Luoluo Hong, PhD, MPH
Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
- Who is your Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs?
- What Does the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Do?
- Important Division of Student Affairs Documents
- Division of Student Affairs Committees
- Important Information for Students
- Information for DSA Faculty Specialists
- Student Affairs "Town Hall" Meetings
- Luoluo's Presentations Available for Download
Meet the VCSA Office staff team!
In photo, from left to right: Luoluo Hong; Gerald DeMello, Director of University Relations; Dr. Marcia Sakai, Interim Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs; Dr. Kenith Simmons, Interim Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs; Dr. Don Straney, Chancellor; and Gail Makuakane-Lundin, Interim Executive Assistant to the Chancellor. Photo taken at opening of the new Sciences & Technology Building on August 2, 2011.
Luoluo has served as UH Hilo's Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs since January 1, 2008. Before arriving at UH Hilo, Luoluo served as Dean of Student Affairs at the West campus and as Associate Professor of Women's Studies at Arizona State University; as Dean of Students at the University of Wisconsin-Madison; as Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs & Dean of Students at Shepherd University; and as Director of Wellness Education & Outreach and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Kinesiology at Louisiana State University. She earned a BA in Psychology from Amherst College in 1990, a Master's in Public Health degree in Health Promotion & Policy from Yale University in 1992, and a PhD in Educational Leadership & Research from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge in 1998.
In August 2010 Luoluo also became an Associate Professor in the College of Pharmacy here at UH Hilo; she teaches HON 100 each Fall semester and taught SOC 394/WS 394 in Spring 2012. In addition, she serves as the faculty advisor for two student organizations: Circle K and The Guild of Games. A copy of her biography can be downloaded by clicking on the link.
Some Interesting Facts About Luoluo
|PC or Mac?||Both - I have an iMac desktop and a PC laptop, plus iPhone 4 and iPad Mini|
|Favorite food?||Thai, Japanese, Indian, Greek, Italian, Mexican, French, Chinese, Korean, Cajun, Creole...is it food? Then I like it!|
|Hobbies?||PC gamer - World of Warcraft (my "main" is a level 90 human warlock who can cast Shadow Bolt in 2.42 seconds; I also have a level 85 draenei hunter and a level 80 night elf death knight as my "alts"), plus Civilization V, Diablo III, Sims 3, Starcraft II|
|Children?||Three cats - Puck, Phoenix & Kona|
|Favorite movie?||Lord of the Rings trilogy|
|Favorite TV shows?||Game of Thrones, Glee, and True Blood|
|Number of times changed major in college?||Seven - first biology, then physics, then math, then music, then English, then Women's Studies, then psychology|
|Coke or Pepsi?||Neither - I drink tea, hot or iced|
A member of the Chancellor's senior leadership team, the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs provides vision, leadership, direction and accountability for non-instructional and co-curricular activities, programs and services that contribute to student development, learning and success. Her role is to focus on enhancing the student experience at UH Hilo, as well as ensuring that the student perspective is accounted for and heard by administration in their decision-making.
Photo to right: Dr. Hong & HON 100 guest faculty with Fall 2012 freshman cohort of Chancellor's & Dorrance Scholars (taken December 2012)
At this time, Luoluo has identified the following goals and priorities to emphasize:
- Provide effective vision, leadership, oversight, direction and management for the Division of Student Affairs during a time of fiscal challenge;
- Lead efforts to gradually improve the access, engagement and retention of first- year students, as well as improve graduation rates, in particular for Native Hawaiian and other historically underserved students;
- Build and sustain stronger partnerships and collaborations between Academic Affairs and Student Affairs in support of initiatives to enhance student success;
- Provide leadership for effective enrollment management planning and implementation so as to meet University strategic priorities and fiscal goals;
- Serve as an advocate for policies, practices and programs which enhance the student experience, foster student learning/development, and encourage student involvement;
- Serve as a consultant/resource for faculty and administrators on issues of student-related policies, student intervention and student support, etc.;
- Identify and secure opportunities to increase student residential hall capacity, and improve the quality of student life at UH Hilo;
- Serve as a liaison with the University of Hawaii System and with other UH campuses on student life issues.
- Play an integral role in public relations, local outreach and development efforts to increase UH Hilo’s positive impact in the community.
Job Description for the Vice Chancellor:
- Current job description for the VCSA - officially on file with Office of Human Resources
- Proposed/updated job description for the VCSA - draft pending review and approval
- Division of Student Affairs Policy Memo Regarding Consultation & Risk Management for Recreational Sports Events and Student Health & Wellness Programs (October 2012)
- *UPDATED* Division of Student Affairs Organization Chart - Note: only includes VCSA's direct reports and their deputies, if applicable (revised March 2013)
- Division of Student Affairs Expenditure Priorities, Biennial Years 2011-13
- Chartered Student Organizations' Spending Priorities (Approved August 2011)
- Division of Student Affairs Emergency Communications Protocol (revised September 2008)
- Division of Student Affairs Vision, Mission & Operating Principles (revised January 2009)
- Division of Student Affairs Interim Strategic Plan, 2010-2012 (finalized October 2010)
- Division of Student Affairs Implementation Matrix in support of the UH Hilo 2011-15 Campus Strategic Plan (updated June 2012) - individual unit plans are available separately
- Division of Student Affairs Selected Contributions, 2008-2010 (updated quarterly)
- Division of Student Affairs Budget (FY 2007-08 thru FY 2010-11)
- Office of Student Affairs Strategic Plan Overview, 2007-2010
- Office of Student Affairs Selected Accomplishments, 2000-2007
- Enrollment Management Implementation Team (contact Luoluo Hong, Chair, for more information)
- Professional Development Committee (contact Elenita Hopkins, Chair, for more information)
- Social & Community Building Committee (contact Tim Moore, Chair, for more information)
- Student Affairs Strategic Planning & Implementation Team (contact Luoluo Hong, Chair, for more information)
- Financial Aid & Scholarship Advisory Committee (contactJeff Scofield, Convenor, for more information)
- University Dining Services Advisory Committee (contact Miles Nagata, Convenor, for more information)
Develop your leadership skills by getting involved in decisions that affect students and helping to improve the student experience. We have one of the most active student governments in the UH System. Visit the UH Hilo Student Association (UHHSA) website to learn more!
- Quick Reference Guide for Common Student Concerns/Questions
- Information about campus closures and "Green Days"
- Important information following the Spring 2011 earthquake & tsunami in Japan
- UH Hilo Code of Student Conduct
- UH Hilo Information About Academic Dishonesty
- UH Hilo Catalog
- UH Hilo Fall Convocation New Student Pledge
- UH Hilo Graduation Rate for Fall 2005 Cohort (posted in compliance with the Student Right-to-Know Act, Public Law 101-542, Section 668.41)
- UH Hilo Student Rights & Responsibilities
- UH Hilo Student Academic Complaint Policy
- UH Hilo Alcohol & Drug Policy
- UH Hilo Resources for LGBTIQ Students & Their Allies
- *REVISED* UH Hilo Sexual Assault Policy for Students
- UH Hilo Statement of Philosophy on Student Fees
- UH Hilo Student Housing Survey, Executive Summary (October 2011)
- UH System Sexual Assault Policy & Procedural Guidelines
- UH System Average Student Persistence & Graduation Rates (posted in compliance with the Student Right-to-Know Act, Public Law 101-542, Section 668.41)
Contact Andrew Polloi, Advisor, for more info.
- Division of Student Affairs Departmental Personnel Committee Policy & Procedures
- Division of Student Affairs Guidelines for Contract Renewal, Tenure & Promotion
- Notice of Arbitration Decision, Hawaii Labor Relations Board (March 2011)
2009-10 Academic Year
- Thursday, October 1, 2009 at 3:00 - 4:30 PM (UCB 127) - download the agenda & handouts
- Friday, November 20, 2009 at 3:00 - 4:30 PM (UCB 127) - download the flyer & talking points
- Friday, February 5, 2010 at 3:00 - 4:30 PM (UCB 127) - download the flyer
- Friday, April 16, 2010 at 3:00 - 4:30 PM (UCB 127) - download the flyer
- Thursday, June 24, 2010, 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM (Naniloa Resort) - download the flyer and PowerPoint presentation from the 1st Annual Divisional All-Staff Retreat
2010-11 Academic Year
- Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 2:00 -4:00 PM (UCB 127) - download the flyer, handout for the Strategic Pre-Planning Listening Session, and summary notes from the listening session
- Friday, December 3, 2010 at 2:00 - 4:00 PM (UCB 127) - download the flyer
- Friday, February 11, 2011 at 2:00 -4:00 PM (UCB 127) - download the flyer
- Friday, April 29, 2011 at 2:00 - 4:00 PM (UCB 127) - download the flyer
- Thursday, June 23, 2011, 9:00 AM - 4:00 PM (UH Hilo Campus Center) - download the program from the 2nd Annual Divisional All-Staff Retreat
2011-12 Academic Year
- Friday, October 14th, 2011 at 2:00 - 4:00 PM (Campus Center 301) - download the flyer
- Friday, December 2nd, 2011 at 2:00 - 4:00 PM (Campus Center 301) - download the flyer
- Friday, February 10th, 2012 at 2:00 - 4:00 PM (Campus Center 301) - download the flyer
2012-13 Academic Year
- Thursday, October 25th, 2012 at 2:30 - 4:30 PM (Campus Center 301) - download the flyer
- Friday, December 7th, 2012 (Campus Center 301) - download the flyer
- *NEW* Friday, April 12th, 2013 (UCB 127) - download the flyer
- NASPA Annual Meeting | Leading on the Edge: The Future of Violence Prevention on Campus | March 10, 2008
- Maryland Coalition Against Sexual Assault Statewide Conference | From Crisis to Courage, From Fear to Hope:Fostering Violence-Free & Socially Just Communities | October 17, 2008
- Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs Annual Conference | We've "Come A Long Way Baby" ...and We Still Need "Some Boots for Walking!" | May 20, 2009
- Guam Coalition Against Sexual Assault & Family Violence Annual Conference | Engaging Men in Sexual Assault Prevention and Engaging the Community in Sexual Assault Prevention | August 14, 2009
- 34th National Conference on Men & Masculinity and Oregon Attorney General's Sexual Assault Task Force Roots of Change: Men, Sex & Justice Conference | Engaging Young Men as Agents of Change in Sexual Violence Prevention Keynote Program and Breakout Session | October 28, 2009
- American College Health Association Annual Meeting | Health Promotion Hot Topics: Why Campus Health Is Indispensable to the Academic Mission - Making the Case, Parts I & II Presentation Slides and Supplemental Materials | June 2, 2010
- Hawai'i State Department of Health Sexual Violence Primary Prevention (SVPP) Community Action Seminar | Shifting Our Paradigms, Transforming Our Communities | September 22, 2011
This site was updated April 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM HST.