Professional Development Resources
- All UH Hilo faculty are eligible to apply for Travel Awards, the Research Relations Fund and Seed Money Grants. These programs are administered by the UH Hilo Research Council. For information, see Intramural Programs.
- Academic Professional Development Program website. Information about grants, conference attendance, distance educators, sabbaticals, support for dossier creation, and faculty development for new faculty.
- The Professional Development Committee assesses faculty and staff professional development interests and needs; plans and implements activities in support of faculty and staff development; creates an annual budget and action agenda; develops guidelines for the distribution of funds allocated for faculty and staff professional development; allocates funds for proposed faculty and staff development activities; reviews and evaluates the effectiveness of faculty and staff development activities.
New Faculty Orientation
- August 18: Ho‘okama‘āina (orientation). Experiential introduction to the natural environments, history and culture of Hilo. The excursion is presented by the Hanakahi Council of UH Hilo. This event has been postponed this year.
- August 19: New Faculty Orientation. A brief introduction to many topics to assist new faculty in preparing for a successful semester, such as an introduction to the library services, ADA compliance and support for students with disabilities, and Laulima (the UH Hilo course management system) for face-to-face, blended/hybrid, and online courses. New Faculty Orientation Schedule for Fall of 2014.
- August 20: Wahi Pana O Hilo. Educational day-long tour of Hilo with faculty, staff and students from UH Hilo and Hawaii Community College. Group immersed in Hilo environments, shown the significance of wahi pana, encouraged to contribute to the well-being of the Hilo community through service activity. More info: see the flyer, read a story about his year's Wahi Pana O Hilo at UH Hilo Stories, see photos on Chancellor Straney's flickr photostream.
- August 6: Huakaʻi Uluākea: Wahi Pana O Hilo. Experiential orientation where new faculty engage directly with Hilo environments, come to understand the significance of wahi pana, contribute to the well-being of the Hilo community through service activity, learn mele and fundamentals of lei making, and share within a collective. Itinerary, packing suggestions, and map.
- August 19: New Faculty Orientation with Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Matt Platz, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Randy Hirokawa, library staff, selected directors and technology specialists. Held at the Kilohana Student Succes Center, Mookini Library. Revised Schedule.
- August 20: Ho‘okama‘āina (orientation) with UH Hilo's Hanakahi Council, Native Hawaiian administrators, faculty, staff and students welcoming new faculty to the university and larger Hilo community. The orientation will include a traditional welcome and an experiential tour with introduction to natural environments, history and culture of Hilo. Schedule. More info: Photos of this event are on Chancellor Don Straney's flickr photostream; story is on Chancellor's Blog.