Professional Development Resources
- All UH Hilo faculty are eligible to apply for Travel Awards, the Research Relations Fund and Seed Money Grants. These programs are administered by the UH Hilo Research Council. For information, see Intramural Programs.
- The Professional Development Committee assesses faculty and staff professional development interests and needs; plans and implements activities in support of faculty and staff development; creates an annual budget and action agenda; develops guidelines for the distribution of funds allocated for faculty and staff professional development; allocates funds for proposed faculty and staff development activities; reviews and evaluates the effectiveness of faculty and staff development activities.
New Faculty Orientation
Fall 2013 New Faculty Orientation:
- August 6: Huakaʻi Uluākea: Wahi Pana O Hilo. Experiential orientation where new faculty engage directly with Hilo environments, come to understand the significance of wahi pana, contribute to the well-being of the Hilo community through service activity, learn mele and fundamentals of lei making, and share within a collective. Itinerary, packing suggestions, and map.
- August 19: New Faculty Orientation with Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Matt Platz, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Randy Hirokawa, library staff, selected directors and technology specialists. Held at the Kilohana Student Succes Center, Mookini Library. Revised Schedule.
- August 20: Ho‘okama‘āina (orientation) with UH Hilo's Hanakahi Council, Native Hawaiian administrators, faculty, staff and students welcoming new faculty to the university and larger Hilo community. The orientation will include a traditional welcome and an experiential tour with introduction to natural environments, history and culture of Hilo. Schedule. More info: Photos of this event are on Chancellor Don Straney's flickr photostream; story is on Chancellor's Blog.