Building Community and Partnerships
This page is under construction. When complete, it will house a user friendly web portal to the many outreach activities at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo campus. This web-based platform will allow faculty and other stakeholders, such as members of the local community, to easily grasp all of the university’s many initiatives and quickly locate the program that interests them the most.
In June 2013, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Matthew Platz convened an informal Outreach Council made up of faculty and staff that is meeting once a month to brainstorm about this project. The first task of the council is in exploring the full range of UH Hilo initiatives that should be represented on the web site. This may naturally reduce the duplication of efforts and facilitate the forging of timely alliances around events and sponsored grant activity.
Discussions of the council also include the possibility of a calendar of outreach events, a “Find a Faculty Member” index by field or expertise, and an outreach open house.
Members of the informal Oureach Council include:
- Kainoa Ariola-Sukisaki, Interim Director of Kīpuka Student Support Services
- Farrah Gomes, Interim Dean of the College of Continuing Education and Community Service, and Director of the North Hawai‘i Education and Research Center
- Tom DeWitt, Associate Professor of Marketing, and Director of the Office of Applied Learning Experiences
- Maria Haws, Assistant Professor of Aquaculture
- Karla Hayashi, Instructor of English, and Director of Kilohana Academic Success Center
- Ka‘iu Kimura, Executive Director of ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center
- Gail Makuakāne-Lundin, Interim Executive Assistant to the Chancellor
- Curtis Nishioka, Director of Admissions
- Noe Puniwai, Education Technical Specialist
- David Sing, Executive Director of Nā Pua No‘eau Center for Gifted and Talented Native Hawaiian Children
- Sharon Zeigler-Chong, Director of the Pacific Islands Program for Exploring Science, and Unit Leader of the Hawai‘i Cooperative Studies Unit
- Jan Zulich, Professor and Chair, School of Education