Advising Policies and Forms
Academic regulations are listed in detail in the university catalog: hilo.hawaii.edu/catalog
After students acquire all necessary signatures, most forms are to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office for processing and can be found online at:
Modification requests. A creative advisor can help students to identify transfer courses and substitute courses that might count towards GE, graduation, or the major and/or that might enable the student to graduate somewhat earlier than planned. For CAS, CHL, an CoBE, the student and advisor should complete a Request for Modification of Academic Requirement, available from college or division offices or on-line at hilo.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/records/documents/RevisedModification_ff.pdf
For modification of a major, minor, or certificate requirement, the signature of the department or program chair is required; for a GE or graduation requirement, the signature of the dean or college director is required.
Queries about discrepancies or missing coursework on transfer credit evaluations should be directed to the Admissions Office.
- Declaring or changing a major. Students are encouraged to declare a major upon earning 55 credits. The appropriate form is available at division or college offices or online at hilo.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/records/documents/Changeof Major_ff.pdf
- Declaring a catalog year. Effective Fall 2011, students transferring in to UH-Hilo from another UH System Campus, are eligible to continue their educational career under the catalog year in which they entered the UH System, provided there has not been a break in enrollment (more than 1 semester, excluding summer). Students my choose to use one catalog for the major requirements and a different catalog for the General Education and Integrative requirements. Eligibility for selected catalog(s) must be verified by the Office of the Registrar. The Catalog Declaration form is available at the the Office of the Registrar or on line: http://hilo.hawaii.edu/registrar/documents/Catalogdeclaration.pdf
- Graduation application. While it is the student’s responsibility to submit the application for graduation in a timely manner, early in the semester preceding the semester of graduation, the advisor can encourage her to do so. The graduation application form is available at the Office of the Registrar or in college and division offices, and on line: hilo.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/records/documents/degreeapp_ff.pdf
The form is submitted to the Business Office with payment for processing.
- Graduation in absentia. Students sometimes have occasion to go to another institution during their last semester or last year of college and complete their degree requirements there. They can apply to graduate in absentia from UH Hilo. The graduation in absentia form is available at the Office of the Registrar, the offices of deans, directors, and divisions or online at hilo.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/records/documents/degreeapp_ff.pdf
If graduation in absentia involves the National Student Exchange, students must also work with UH Hilo’s NSE Coordinator at x47389 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Course Overload Request. Students can take up to 18 semester hours per semester, however students wishing to take more than 18 semester hours must request permission. The appropriate form is available at division or college offices or at
- Prior Transfer Authorization Forms. Students are able to receive prior authorization for credits to be earned at other institutions. This arrangement may involve the National Student Exchange or Education Abroad Programs. The appropriate form is available at the Office of the Registrar or online at: hilo.hawaii.edu/forms/TransferCreditAuth.pdf
- Academic Bankruptcy. Students may declare academic bankruptcy for one semester at UH Hilo. The student’s cumulative GPA will be recalculated to exclude ALL grades from the bankrupt semester, however the grades from that semester will remain on the transcript. Copies of this form are available at the division or college offices or at the Advising Center
- Withdrawals. Students wishing to partially withdraw from courses can use the MyUH Portal to do so, however they should be made aware of the withdrawal deadlines of the semester. These are stated in the Academic Calendar, posted at hilo.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/records and in the inside front cover of the current university catalog.
- Complete withdrawals (from all courses) can be processed until the last day of instruction of the semester. The form is available at the Office of the Registrar and online at:
Updated July 2012--JK