Aloha! Visiting college campuses is an important factor in choosing the right college and we're glad you're planning a visit to the University of Hawaii at Hilo.
As a residential campus featuring a liberal arts focus, UH Hilo attracts students from across the state, the US and abroad. The campus is located approximately three miles from the Hilo Airport and is within close proximity to movie theaters, shopping malls, and convenience stores.
Depending on what your needs are we offer multiple types of tours.
- Individual & Family Tours for prospective students and their families.
- Group Tours for schools, community organizations, or other groups between 10-50 people.
- UH Hilo Faculty / Staff Tours for those new members of our University 'ohana.
Most of our tours for students will include:
- An Individual meeting with an Admissions Counselor
- A walking tour of campus highlighting classrooms, residence halls and research facilities led by one of our student Tour Guides. (Don't forget to bring comfortable shoes).
We also offer Deluxe Tours for Individuals & Families which may also include:
- A meeting with faculty from your intended major
- A first-hand experience of a class in session
- Note that deluxe tours are only available during the academic year and are not available on non-instructional days.
To Request a Tour...
To request a tour please fill out the online Tour Request form. Once we receive your request, we'll contact you to confirm the date is available.
We will provide you with a pre-confirmation email during our summer dates (May 16 - August 8) until we receive the schedules of our summer student tour guides. We know planning to visit Hilo takes addtitional planning, please continue to request for campus tours and we will confirm your date as soon as possible. Mahalo and we appreciate your understanding.
Individual & Family Tours are available Monday - Friday at the following times:
- 9:30 am - 11:00 am
- 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
- 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
- 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Individual & Family Deluxe Tours are available Monday - Friday at the following times:
Please note: Deluxe Tours are not available during Winter Break (Dec.21-Jan. 8)
- 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
- 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm
Group Tours are available Monday - Friday at the following times:
- 9:30 am - 11:00 am
- 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
UH Hilo Faculty / Staff Tours are available Monday - Friday at the following times:
- 9:30 am - 10:30 am
- 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
- 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm
- 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
If any of the above times don't fit your schedule, when you request a tour let us know what alternative times would work for you. Depending on when our student Tour Guides are available, we may be able to find a time to have you join us for a visit.
Please note that we do not offer tours on days that the University is closed (weekends, state holidays, etc.)
On the day of your tour you should plan on arriving a few minutes early.
When you arrive enter through the main entrance off of Kawili st. Give the Security Officer your name and they'll show you where to park.
The Tours will begin at the New Student Programs office in the Student Services Center E-101on the first floor of the building.
Unfortunately, there are some times that we're not available to give you a guided tour of our beautiful campus (after hours, weekends, holidays, etc.). Therefore we've created the next best thing, a Self-Guided Tour Packet.
To go on a Self-Guided Tour of UH Hilo:
- Print the Tour Packet or download it to your mobile device
- Come to the UH Hilo Campus
- Start your tour at the Student Services Center as indicated on the map in the packet
- Follow the yellow path on the map on page 4 of your packet
- The numbered red dots indicate stopping points along the way and the blue dots are points of interest that can be seen from some of these stops, of course you're welcome to check them out as you go as well.
- Your path through the Residence Halls may be a little confusing as there are lots of buildings and paths. We've included an enlarged map of the area on page 3 so you don't get lost, along with some detailed information about all the different housing options on campus
- If after you've completed your tour of campus, you have questions or want to meet with someone to talk about the admissions process or anything else, please don't hesitate to sign up for a regular tour when we're open and we'd be glad to get all of that set up for you
Enjoy the walk!
Aloha and welcome. We invite you to visit our beautiful campus and the unique physical environment that the Big Island has to offer. UH Hilo is located in the town of Hilo, on the East side of the Big Island. If you're staying in Kona, It takes about two and a half hours to drive across the island, which may not seem as long due to the scenic drive and the amazing beauty along the way.
If you are an adventurer, you must experience our island's unique features such as the world's most active volcanoes, snow capped mountains in winter, extraordinary beaches, and lush green valleys.
Our island weather ranges from sunny days, occasional trade winds, tropical rainfalls to rainbow filled days and stellar nights. Hilo's array of exotic flora is enriched by our generous annual rainfall.
Ranked as one of the best Farmer's markets in the country, the Hilo Farmers Market is a must see for anyone who loves food. The Farmers Market really explodes on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
One of the most unique features of the Big Island are the Volcanos. Be sure to stop by the Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park and check out "the glow" in the evening.
Take time to experience our multi-cultural activities featuring canoe regattas, hula competitions, arts/crafts fairs and other entertaining activities offered year round.
There are numerous opportunities to feast on the different foods found only in Hawaiʻi. We encourage you to try our assortment of "local-style" mixed plates and discover your favorite dish from poke ("po-keh") to the world famous Loco-moco and spam musubi to Kalua Pig.
To schedule a tour of the Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy, please give them a call at (808) 933-2909 or an email at email@example.com.