Importance of International Education
Study Abroad Home > Families > Importance of International Education
Importance of studying abroad
Studying abroad provides many advantages students can gain, such as:
- Broadening world views and ways of thinking by experiencing different cultures firsthand.
- Benefiting students with future career opportunities by providing more life experiences and personal connections.
- Complementing and accelerating fluency in speaking, reading, and writing foreign languages.
- Providing an alternative academic experience by taking courses not offered elsewhere while earning credits towards graduation.
- Providing opportunities for leadership development through interactions with different cultures.
- Providing opportunities for personal growth and development by gaining self confidence and life experience.
Semester at Sea– Worldwide
Minor: Business Administration
"The learning experience on SAS is phenomenal! Imagine reading an article about the apartheid in South Africa for a class discussion, waking up the next morning and travel through Cape Town seeing and feeling the familiarity of what you read . It is the kind of thing that neither a textbook or classroom can provide. As the first Samoan student from UH Hilo on SAS I encourage all my Pacific Islander peers to study on SAS. Jump out of your comfort zone and fall in love with the world!"
Seinan Gakuin University, Japan
Major: Japanese Studies
“For me it was like a dream, I never thought that I would be able to have the chance to travel to a foreign country. The time I spent in Japan is one I’ll never forget. I’ve made friends from all over the world and throughout this whole experience, I have learned so much about different cultures, lifestyles, values, and myself. I hope one day I’ll be able to return, see everyone again.”
Castellano en Peru, Peru
“Overall, studying abroad in Peru is an experience that I have learned so much from, which has led me to grow as a person and develop new cultural and personal values.”
Victoria University, Australia
Major: Marine Science
“While I was studying at Victoria University in Wellington, I joined as many clubs as I could, to get out and meet new people and explore the country. On weekends I mingled with the locals, “kiwis”, and during breaks I travelled the islands. It was hands-down one of the greatest experiences of my life and if I ever had the opportunity to do it again, it wouldn’t even be up for debate in my mind.”
Will be posted soon!