Study Abroad FAQs

Please excuse the dust while we redesign our website. You can still visit our old site in the mean time. This new site will be ready May 2013.

Study Abroad Home > Prospective Students > Application FAQs

Choosing a Program and Application Process FAQs

  • When should I go?
  • What is the difference between a direct exchange program and an indirect exchange program?
  • When is the UH Hilo Study Abroad application deadline?
    February 1st for Spring
    October 1st for Fall and Academic Year
  • How do I upload my transcript to the study abroad application?
    Sign into your star account and click on transcript and choose “campus transcripts by semester.” Click on the “PDF” tab and slide the cursor to the bottom right of the document and click on the save button. Return to your application and upload the transcript that you initially saved.
  • Can I go abroad for more than one semester? Is there a maximum?
    Yes, you can go abroad up to a maximum of 2 years
  • How early can I start applying?
    Applications are one year in advance.
  • Does CGEE offer summer programs abroad?

Eligibility FAQs

  • Is there a minimum amount of credits I need to have to go abroad?
    Yes, you need a minimum of 24 college credits before you depart
  • Is there a minimum required GPA?
    Yes, you must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
  • I want to apply as a Freshman to study abroad my Sophomore year but I do not have the minimum requirements. What should I do?
    You can still apply! We will do a GPA check at the end of your first semester to determine your eligibility.
  • Do I have to speak a foreign language?
    No, most of our partner institutions have courses in English.
  • My program requires two semesters of a college-level language — what does this mean?

Credit FAQs

  • Will all the courses that I take be awarded UH Hilo Credit?
    All courses that you take on a “Direct” Exchange program will be transferred back to UH Hilo. You will need to complete a Course Approval form to determine what they transfer back as.
  • Is there a limit on the number of units I can transfer to UH Hilo?
    No. But you will need to take a least 12 US equivalent credits when you study abroad tp remain a full-time student.
  • Can I earn credit for my major/minor on a study abroad program?
  • Can I participate in programs not offered by UH Hilo and still receive credit?

Overseas Travel

  • What’s a visa and will I need it?
    A VISA is an official document allowing you permission to enter a specific country for a period of time. For most study abroad programs that are longer than 90 days, you will need a VISA. Usually you can travel on a tourist VISA if your program is less than 90 days.
  • How do I apply or renew my passport?
  • When should I book my airline ticket?
    Only book your airline ticket when you receive your acceptance letter from your Host University.

Cost and Financial Aid FAQs

  • Can I use my financial aid and other scholarships I receive here at UH Hilo for my program?
    You can use all your federal financial aid except for work study and you can use scholarships for your study abroad program unless it specifically says you can not.
  • When do I have to pay tuition to UH Hilo?
    If you are going on a direct program you must pay UH Hilo tuition before the deadline specified by UH Hilo.

Health FAQs

  • Do I need medical insurance?
    For certain universities it is required. However, if it is not we still recommend that you apply for travel insurance. Ask your advisor about ISIC travel insurance!
  • Do I need to get any vaccinations before I go?
    Each country has their own requirements. Review the Host University application or Host country VISA application to see if you need any vaccinations. You can also do some research outside of the applications.