Students in Service
Are you doing a practicum, internship, student teaching hours, service learning hours or clinical hours for your degree? Do you want to make a difference in your community? Could you use $1000+ to help pay for your education?
‘Students in Service’ is a part-time AmeriCorps/Hawai'i Pacific Islands Campus Compact Program that offers scholarships in the form of educational vouchers to college students who do community service.
AmeriCorps is a valuable opportunity for students who want to participate in regular volunteer work in their community. Students commit to a certain number of hours of volunteer work. Once those hours are complete they receive an educational voucher that can be used for any educational expenses (student loans, tuition, books, ect.).
Who is eligible?
- Students at an eligible Higher Education Institution enrolled at least half time.
- Any student who volunteers in a non-profit organization (not for pay)
- Any student who is receiving Federal Work Study and is in a service position.
- This includes all Nursing, Medical, Dental, Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, Student Teaching, Health Promotion, Service Learning and Social Sciences students who do clinical, practicum, service learning or student teaching in a service setting within the community.
- You must be a US citizen, US National, or Legal Permanent Resident Alien.
|Term of Service||Minimum Number of Service Hours||AmeriCorps Education Award|
Federal/ State-funded Work-Study positions that are service-related are the only paid positions eligible.
How does it work?
- Log onto http://www.studentsinservice.org
- Complete the Pre-Service Orientation and click on "print the questionnaire"
- Keep the Pre-Service Orientation questionnaire for enrollment purposes and keep a copy of everything for your records
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and schedule an in-person orientation. Individual orientations can be done on a case-by-case basis
- Go to FORMS link on the left hand side of the page, print out the Enrollment Package and bring it with you to the orientation session
- Choose a Term of Service (300/450/900 Hours)
- Enroll in the program and begin serving your community
Tupou Koenig, Program Coordinator
UH Hilo Campus Center Rm.316