Become a Peer Assistant! Apply today!
- Complete the online referral for job # 19180-A3, (print a copy to turn in)
- Log onto the SECE** website to access the online referral for the job.
University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
Minority Access & Achievement Program Office SSB office 203
**SECE is an online student employment system.
- Create a SECE profile.
- Be a currentl enrolled UH Hilo studen registered for a least six-semester credits.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Must have a current Federal Work Study Award (applies to students who are eligible for Federal Work Study)
Peer Assistant Job Description
A Peer Assistant works in the Minority Access & Achievement Program office specifically with the Peer Assistant Linkages and Support (PALS) Program.
The Peer Assistant position is one that requires excellent organization and communication skills, teamwork, a positive attitude, and the ability to empower and motivate first year underrepresented students at UH Hilo.
Peer Assistants provide assistance and support to underrepresented students who are incoming freshmen and transfer students in the College of Arts and Sciences and College of Agriculture.
- Regularly contact students to ensure academic, personal and social adjustment.
- Mentor and role model positive academic success skills.
- If possible, provide tutoring in various subjects
- Make appropriate referrals to on-campus resources as needed.
- Disseminates pertinent information to students about academic policies, financial aid, and other university activities.
- Organize and conducts support group sessions (RAP sessions).
- Facilitate group discussion on academic and personal support issues and skills (i.e. time management, study skills, self development, communication).
- Maintain and submit accurate contact reports of interactions with students.
- Plan and participate in social, cultural and recreational activities and projects as assigned.
- Assist with recruitment activities.
- Perform various administrative office duties such as filing, copying, typing and all other duties assigned.
- Work collaboratively with the team of other Peer Assistants.
Ability to work independently; knowledgeable of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo system (policies, procedures, requirements, activities); sensitivity, knowledge, and ability to relate to student of under-represented ethnic groups, demonstrated ability and interest in working with minority students; ability to communicate and relate effectively with people; ability to advise and tutor in specific majors congruent with PALS participants; able to work on some weekends and evening hours; sophomore status and above at UH Hilo; must maintain high academic standards and remain in good academic standing.
Other Pertinent Information
Recruitment will be based on the specific majors of the incoming students.
Rate of Pay
A-3 - $9.45 per hour.