UH Hilo Home > Student Affairs > International Student Services

The International Student Services Office will help you understand Immigration regulations and avoid Immigration problems. The US government agency responsible for enforcing immigration laws is now called the Department of Homeland Security (DHS); it used to be called the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). We have copies of Immigration regulations and we can contact Immigration officials when necessary to help answer your questions.

Though we work closely with Immigration, we are not enforcers of Immigration law. It is our job to explain the regulations to you and help you understand what your legal options are in any situation. The International Student Advisor serves as the “Designated School Official” at the University of Hawai'i at Hilo, meaning that Immigration has granted her the authority to sign Immigration forms such as the I-20. We release information to Immigration only as required by US law. See your I-20, page 2, for more details on your F-1 status.

Back to International Student Services home.