Support Groups and Group Counseling
We are currently recruiting members for the following Spring 2016 Groups:
- LGBT Support Group - Email for more information
- ASD Support Group -Email for more information
- Managing Emotions & Relationships Workshop - Email for more information
- Nontraditional Student Support Group- Email for more information
- Respectful Relationships - Email for more information
- Acceptance and Commitment
- Women's Therapy Group
- New to UH Hilo
- Assertiveness Training
- Anger Management
- Anxiety Support
If you are interested in signing up for any of these groups, please email Counseling Services.
Group counseling usually consists of 1 or 2 counselors and 3 - 8 participants who are committed to weekly group sessions that are 1- 1 1/2 hours long. Participants can speak or share as much or as little as they like.
Students may join a group because they are experiencing a personal difficulty or because they seek personal growth and development. Participation in group counseling can be very beneficial for many common student concerns, and there are specific benefits of group counseling that individual counseling cannot offer.
Benefits of Group Counseling:
- Increased support network
- Decreased feelings of being alone with one's problems
- Learning from others perspectives
- Feedback from others
- Increased confidence from supporting and encouraging others
All group participants agree to group norms to create a safe, comfortable environment for everyone. One of the most important agreements is that all participants maintain confidentiality and do not share to anyone outside the group about who is in the group, or about what happens in the group.
Understanding Group Therapy from the American Psychological Association
Counseling Services are free and confidential for all UH Hilo and Hawaii CC students.
We welcome questions, comments and feedback about our webpage: firstname.lastname@example.org.