What does it mean to be "Exploratory"?
Exploratory Students have the freedom to examine all possible majors before declaring something that is a perfect match for them. Rather than coming to UH Hilo with a predetermined path or major that may change later, Exploratory students first investigate all possible majors, and then settle into that perfect academic area that they are certain is right for them. Exploratory students treat their General Education courses as if on a shopping spree, trying on courses that sound interesting and learning more about the best fits! They use all of the campus resources available to them, including their assigned advisor in the Advising Center, and Career Development Services, to help them decide. They talk with professors, friends, etc. about classes that they find interesting. They continually reflect on what their path should be so that they’ll have their perfect major by the time they have to declare. And most importantly, Exploratory Students are not afraid to venture into the unknown: they explore possible majors that they may have never even thought about before! What an exciting path Exploratory Students get to take!
- Incoming exploratory students, be sure to go through the online advising guide in preparation for spring 2013.
- Did you know your advisor is on Laulima? We post announcements and links to resources for exploratory students!
- We're on Facebook and Twitter!
Important Information for General Students
- All exploratory students who will have earned 55 semester hours
a major before registering for your next semester.
- If you already know what you plan to major in, please come in to meet with your advisor and we can help you fill out the form before you submit it to the Office of the Registrar.
- If you don’t yet know what your major will be, you have a number of resources at your disposal: You can make an appointment to meet with your advisor, visit the Career Development Services for career exploration, or the Counseling Center (808) 974-7399.
General "To-Do List"
Before scheduling an appointment with an advisor to discuss major exploration, we request that you do the following:
- Go through these advising resources for exploratory students.
- Use the General Education area requirements (Humanities, Social Sciences, and Natural Sciences) to explore the majors. Take exploratory courses in areas you find interesting after reviewing the course descriptions in the undergraduate catalog.
- List courses you've taken at UH Hilo that you've enjoyed. Why did you enjoy these courses?
- Go through the undergraduate catalog and read through the different disciplines and majors. List down the majors you do not want to study and the majors you could select.
- "Talk story" with the professor of a class you find interesting to find out more about the major.
- Attend events around campus. You may find a subject or area you'd like to study after attending one of these events. Most campus happenings can be found on the News and Events website of the UH Hilo and many events are sponsored by academic clubs.
- Visit the Career Development Services for Career Assessment and Exploration.
- Meet your Advisors