Academic advising is necessary to ensure timely academic progress, so students are strongly encouraged to meet with their assigned advisor once every semester.
For incoming students, you will not be assigned to an advisor prior to enrolling at UH Hilo, however you will have opportunities for advising during key events prior to registering for classes. You will need to speak with a faculty advisor during Orientation to make sure you are enrolling in all necessary classes for your degree.
Once you are enrolled, you are assigned to a faculty advisor 3 weeks into the start of your first semester. Again, only in your third week of your first semester will you be assigned a faculty advisor, however you will be able to meet with professional advisors and faculty advisors from your department prior to the first day of instruction.
- Students with declared majors
- The UH Hilo Admissions Office will list your major as what you indicated on your online application and list it in your acceptance letter. You will be assigned to faculty advisors who are specialists in your major department 3 weeks into the semester. Faculty advisors will be able to assist you with requirements, such as general education, major, and graduation requirements. They are specialists in their fields of study, so they may be able to answer questions about employment and educational opportunities in the field. Your advising will be handled entirely by your academic department.
- Students who have not declared a major or are exploratory.
- If you indicated that you were "undecided" or "undeclared" on your online application, the UH Hilo Admissions Office will designate you as "General" and the Advising Center will assist you with designing a program of study to meet the General Education requirements while exploring major fields as it relates to your educational and career goals. You will be assigned to one of the professional advisors in the Advising Center. If you have declared a major, but are really exploratory, please let the Admissions Office know.
Finding your Faculty Advisor
You'll find the name of your faculty advisor in MyUH 3 weeks into the semester. If you need to speak with a faculty advisor in the interim, you may request to see one at the following locations, based upon your major.
- Once logged in to MyUH, click on “”Check Registration Status” in the left column, under the heading, “Registration”.
- The current term will need to be selected, so for this semester.
- Your faculty advisor's name is listed on the page, under the heading, “Advisor Information”
In STAR for Students:
- Once logged in to MyUH, click on “”STAR Degree Check/View Transcript” in the left column.
- Once STAR is opened up, click on the “From Your Advisor” tab.
- Your faculty advisor name will appear in the far left column (General Information), under the “Academic Advisor” heading. Your faculty advisor’s email address is linked to facilitate email contact.