Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Who is my advisor?
- How do I contact my faculty advisor? Help!
- Am I freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior?
- How do I change my major?
- Do I need to take Placement Exams?
- I look at my STAR Degree check and notice a bar graph saying I'm 98% complete with my General Education, even though it says all areas are complete in my academic journey. Which one is correct?
Students with majors are assigned to a faculty advisor in the major department. Undeclared students are assigned to a professional advisor in the UH Hilo Advising Center
You can find your faculty advisor by:
- Logging in to MyUH and click on "Check your Registration Status". Your faculty advisor's name will appear under the "Earned Credits" section.
- Logging in to STAR for Students and click on the "From your Advisor" tab. Your faculty advisor's name and email address will appear.
- Using Advisor Search to find your faculty advisor.
Once you find the name of your faculty advisor, you can search for them through the online directory. The online directory will provide you with your faculty advisor's email address, office location, and office phone number. Go to your faculty advisor's office and check their weekly schedule placard, which they post on the door of the office. They should indicate their office hours on the placard, which is when they are available for walk-in. If your schedule conflicts with their office hours, be sure to contact them to see if you can schedule an appointment.
Your standing is based upon the number of EARNED semester hours you've currently accumulated. This does not include semester hours you are currently taking.
- Freshmen - 0-24 semester hours completed
- Sophomores - 25-54 semester hours completed
- Juniors - 55-88 semester hours completed
- Seniors - 89 or more semester hours completed
The act of changing your major is a simple one, but before you do, you're welcome to visit the UH Hilo Advising Center to discuss why you've decided to change your major before taking the plunge. We want to ensure that you avoid jumping into another major if you're not entirely sure about it.
There are a variety of placement exams that UH-Hilo students may be required to take, depending on their chosen major, their previous academic history, and other factors. To see if you need to take placement exams, read the descriptions of each. Placement exams
I look at my STAR Degree check and notice a bar graph saying I'm 98% complete with my General Education, even though it says all areas are complete in my academic journey. Which one is correct?
If, under your academic journey tab, you see all areas are either "Complete" or "Waived", you follow what you see under the "Academic Journey" tab.