Advising Center - Division of Student Affairs
Kainoa Ariola, Director
Phone: 932-7776, Fax 932-7775
The mission of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Advising Center is to promote student learning by assisting students in the development of educational plans and that are compatible with their career/life goals. Students are empowered to take responsibility for their own decisions. The Advising Center delivers high quality advising in a caring, personalized atmosphere and also provides timely and accurate academic resources, materials and information to the campus community.
- Serve as the primary advisor for "General" or undecided students.
- Update the following publications: Bachelor's Degree Planbook; A Guide for Students on Advising and Registration; UH Hilo web sites on Academic Advising, and Degree Requirements.
- Communicate advising matters with the UH Hilo community on a regular basis via the ohana listserv.
- Meet with students who have been re-admitted after being dismissed to help them succeed, and conduct "Strategies for Success" workshops.
- Work with the New Student Orientation Office to plan and carry out orientation, advising, and registration each semester and collaborate with faculty to facilitate placement testing.
- Plan and conduct development sessions for new and continuing faculty and peer advisors and serve as a resource to faculty advisors.
- Refer students to campus resources related to their needs.