International Students

UH Hilo Home > Student Affairs > Admissions

seeking edVenturers

Students from the Center for Global Education and Exchange
Students from the Center for Global Education and Exchange


Complete and return the application form or the online application to apply for admission. Incomplete applications will not be considered past the deadline. Complete applications must have transcripts and test scores (please see below for more details). Your application must also include the supplementary information form available on this page.

Application Fee & Mailing

Submit the $50 US application fee by international postal money order, a check drawn on a US bank or complete the Credit Card Payment Form.This fee is non-refundable and should be paid each time you apply. A form to pay the fee by credit card is available for download in the Adobe Acrobat format. Submit the form by mail, fax or e-mail attachment.

Money orders and checks as well as other required documents should be mailed to:

University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
200 W. Kawili St.
Hilo, HI 96720-4091 USA
Attn: Admissions Office


Transcripts from all previous schools and colleges are required. Official transcripts must be sent directly from each school to the Admissions Office.

International High School Students

High School students must have official high school transcripts and test scores sent directly to the Admissions Office.

Official certificates of qualifying exams are required depending on the country of origin. Admission is based on above-average (75%) performance in high school and/or qualifying exams. For detailed requirements please visit the High School Student page.

If you are a high school graduate, ask the registrar to send an official copy of your transcript. Transcripts not in English will require a certified English translation. Students who attended a three-year high school may be required to send a transcript from your junior high school.

International College Students

If you attended college, please have an official transcript sent to the Admissions Office. Transcripts not in English will require a certified English translation. If you want to transfer credits, your college must send course descriptions of the courses you have taken. The descriptions must be in English or be accompanied by a certified English translation. Graduate Students see Transcript Evaluation Services.

Official transcripts are required from each college or university attended. Admission is based upon a 70% average. Students who have attended college less than one year should also submit their secondary school academic records. For detailed requirements please visit the Transfer Student page.

International Graduate Students

Students must document their ability support themselves financially by completing the confidential financial statement for international graduate students (supplementary information form for graduate students). The amount of support varies depending on the graduate program. The financial support requirement is for those students who will enter the U.S. on the F-1 student visa. Students may submit their financial sponsor's current bank statement, in any currency, or bank verification of the availability of funds to document financial support. Completed forms and documents may be sent by mail, fax or e-mail attachment. Note, that the figures listed above are estimated expenses and may not accurately reflect personal spending requirements.

Estimated student expenses are determined each February by the UH system Financial Aid Office and reflect the decisions made by the UH Board of Regents. Please visit the tuition and fees page for more information.

International Transcript Information for Graduate Students

Beginning with Fall 2008, all graduate program applicants with international transcripts are required to send these transcripts for professional evaluation by one of the following credential evaluation service providers listed below.

Please assure that a transcript, in the original language as well as an English translation (if available) is sent directly to UH Hilo. Transcripts which are printed in languages other than English must be accompanied by an official translation. Some colleges and universities provide transcripts in both languages. Please check with your school.

Transcript Evaluation Agencies Phone Fax
ECE (Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.)
P.O. Box 92970, Milwaukee, WI 53202-0970
(414) 289-3400 (414) 289-3411
International Consultants of Delaware, Inc.
3600 Market Street, Suite 450, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2651 USA
(215) 243-5858 (302) 737-8756
IERF (International Education Research Foundation, Inc.)
Credential Evaluation Service, P.O. Box 3665, Culver City, CA 90231
(310) 258-9451 (310) 342-7086
Foundation for International Services
14926 35th Avenue West, Lynwood, WA 98087
(425) 248-2255 x120 (425) 248-2262
WES (World Education Services, Inc.)
P.O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station, New York, NY 10113-0745
(212) 966-6311 (212) 966-6395

Application deadlines

  • Fall: June 1st
  • Spring: November 1st
  • Recommended dates for F-1 applicants and International Exchange students:
    • Fall: March 1st
    • Spring: October 1st

Prospective F-1 students are encouraged to apply early to allow time to complete the visa application process. Once a student has been accepted they must apply for an F-1 visa, complete I-901 Form and pay the SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information) fee to US Immigration and Customs Enforcement. They then have to schedule an embassy interview, obtain the visa and travel to Hilo in time for registration. More information on the visa application and the SEVIS fee can be accessed online at I-901 SEVIS Fee website.

Supplementary Information form for International Students

Prospective F-1 visa students who apply online must complete and transmit the Supplementary Information Form for International Students. In Section C, the financial support requirement is $37,232 US. The completed form may be first faxed to the Admissions Office before mailing the original.

Pacific Island Exemption

Citizens of an eligible Pacific Island district, commonwealth, territory, or insular jurisdiction, state, or nation which does not provide public institutions that grant baccalaureate degrees may be allowed to pay 150% of the resident tuition. These currently include the following: American Samoa, Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Futuna, Kiribati, Nauru, Niue, Republic of Belau, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Soloman Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, and Wallis.

See the required documentation to qualify for the exemption.

SAT, ACT or National Exam

Students whose native language is English should send official results of the SAT, ACT or an equivalent national exam, such as international baccalaureate, A'Level exams.

English Proficiency

If you are a non-native speaker of English, you may submit an official copy of your TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, ACT or an equivalent national exam to the Admissions Office. Students with a test score equivalent to the TOEFL 500., may be admitted directly into a degree program at UH Hilo providing the academic requirements have been met.

Applicants who meet the academic requirements but have no test results, or test results below 500., may be admitted first as General Studies majors in the English Language Institute (ELI) to prepare for academic study at the University.

Once students arrive at UH Hilo, non-native speakers of English must take the English Proficiency test and the Writing Placement Exam prior to registration. Student performance in these tests will determine course placement.

English Language Institute

Students who meet the University's academic admission requirements and have not taken a test of English, or who have a score of less than 500, can enter the English Language Institute first as preparation for academic study at the University. The student examinee copy of the test results can be faxed to Admissions. This will speed the processing of your application while we wait for the official copies to arrive.


EducationUSA is a global network of more than 450 advising centers supported by the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs at the U.S. Department of State. EducationUSA centers actively promote United States higher education around the world by offering accurate, unbiased, comprehensive, objective and timely information about education institutions in the United States and guidance to qualified individuals on how best to access those opportunities. For more information about this organization please visit:

Visit educationUSA website for more information about this organization

Please e-mail the Admissions Office for assistance with the application process.