Running Start and Early Admission
High school students may be concurrently enrolled at UH Hilo through the Running Start or Early Admission Programs.
Running Start has approved UH courses established by the Department of Education which will also apply towards high school graduation. Since they are UH courses, they will also apply towards a degree at UH Hilo. Please visit the Running Start web site for more information.
Early Admission allows students to take any course at UH Hilo as long as they have met the placement or prerequisite requirements for the course. These classes count towards a degree at UH Hilo but do not apply towards high school graduation.
Many Running Start students continue taking classes at UH Hilo through the Early Admission Program.
- Academic (college prep) grade point average of at least 2.5 with a combined score of 900 on the Reading and Math sections of the SAT.
- Recommendation from high school counselor (or counselor signature on Running Start Application).
Complete and return the application form while also having the following sent to the Admissions Office:
- Official SAT/ACT scores
- Official high school transcripts
- Letter of recommendation or signed Running Start application from counselor.
- Running Start applicants should provide a copy of the RS application to their high school registrar.