Research at UH Hilo

UH Hilo Home > Research at UH Hilo

Research at UH Hilo

Photograph of Dr. Matthew PlatzSupport for research and scholarly activities at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo is coordinated by a Research Office, led by Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Matthew Platz (pictured).

The UH Hilo Research Council, whose members are appointed by the vice chancellor for academic affairs for three-year terms, is the chief recommending body for the vice chancellor. The council administers the intramural grant program, proposes policies and procedures for extramural grant activities by the campus, and advises the vice chancellor on matters concerned with research and grant activity. The UH Hilo Research Council is chaired by Ken Hon, professor of geology.

Grants for faculty and staff at UH Hilo are administered by the Research and Project Development (RAPD) Office that forms a part of the Research Office.

Notice: Beginning Feb. 16, 2012, the use of myGRANT became mandatory for all proposal submissions for all UH campuses.

More information.

Important Links

UH Hilo actively supports research and scholarly activities by faculty, students and staff. The university has steadily increased its extramural grant activity, while also establishing an intramural grant program to foster faculty and staff development.

Information on grant activities at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo may be found at the following sites:

A description of the procedure for submitting an extramural grant proposal at UH Hilo is here.

A description of what to do once you have been awarded an extramural grant is noted here, and what to do once you have received an intramural grant is described here.

Limited general use research space is available both on and off campus. Faculty must apply for use of the space on an annual, competitive basis. The application form for this space is available at: Research Space Application Form.

Information about Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) can be found at: the UH system research integrity site. The University of Hawai‘i is registered with Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) for use of their interactive, online platform on the Responsible Conduct of Research.

More UH Hilo Information

Undergraduate Research & Training Opportunities may be found at:

Some potentially useful information for grant proposals may be found at:

UH System Information

The following sites have information about Institutional Review Boards (IRBs):

The following web sites have information about UH policy on research and scholarly misconduct:

The University of Hawaiʻ Office of Research Services has a web site that may be helpful.