University of Hawai‘i at Hilo faculty conduct place-based, applied research of short- and long- term benefit to the people of Hawai‘i Island and the state. For example:
- UH Hilo faculty do world class research on indigenous languages that helps promote the revitalization of the Hawaiian language and culture.
- Tropical conservation biology and environmental sciences researchers study the history of evolution of species in Hawai‘i, the impacts of climate change on land and in coastal waters, and do research on ways to mitigate climate change and pollution.
- The astronomy faculty have access to the world’s finest telescopes on Mauna Kea and their goal is to have the best undergraduate astronomy program in the world.
- UH Hilo faculty in the College of Agriculture, Forestry, and Natural Resources, in a growing partnership with the emerging four-year program in engineering, are doing research on alternative energy and agribusiness.
Some of UH Hilo’s laboratories include:
- Agricultural Farm Laboratory: 110-acre farm for teaching & research
- Analytical Laboratory: Supporting ecological research & water quality studies
- College of Pharmacy Laboratories: Labs for every researcher at the college to actively pursue their research interests
- Geoarchaeology Laboratory: Non-destructive analyses of basalt & volcanic glass artifacts
- Hawaiian Medium Laboratory Schools: Hawaiian language immersion education
- Hilo Core Genetics Facility: Service laboratory with technical training sessions in genetics, DNA sequencing, DNA fragment separation, and detection services
- Laboratory for Exercise Science: Research on human physiological, anthropometric, biometric systems
- Price Lab: Studying genetics & adaptations of birds & insects in Hawaiʻi
- Scanning Electron Microscopy & Analysis Lab: Multidisciplinary lab (Contact Jason Adolf)
- Spatial Data Analysis & Visualization Labs: Specializing in advancing Hawaiʻi-based scientific research through utilizing the latest technology for spatial and temporal analysis and visualization.
Learn more about faculty research and scholarly activity at Keaohou, an online publication of the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo.
Learn more about Undergraduate Research and Training Programs.