Veterans Benefits

UH Hilo Home > Office of the Registrar> Veterans Benefits

Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs for additional information.

Veterans who are continuing students must complete the Veteran Enrollment Verification form and contact the Office of the Registrar after completing each semester's registration in order to continue receiving benefits.

Yellow Ribbon Program

The Yellow Ribbon Program is currently closed for 2014-2015.

Our institution has the opportunity to certify 3 eligible UH Hilo students for the 2014 -2015 academic school year under the Yellow Ribbon Program. These openings are currently filled for the 2014-2015 academic year.

To apply for the Yellow Ribbon Program with UH Hilo, you must submit a Yellow Ribbon Application which is only available if the program has open enrollment.

You can find information about the program at the GI Bill Website.

Program Certifications: All programs available to veterans/children of veterans are certified through the UH Hilo Office of the Registrar. If you are eligible for assistance through these programs, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

The Office of the Registrar does not provide information regarding types of benefits and does not determine eligibility. Please contact the appropriate VA Office for benefit information.

UH Hilo VeteransQuestions concerning eligibility should be directed to the Veterans Administration by calling 1-888-GIBILL1 (1-888-442-4551) or going online to

Claims for VA Education benefits must be submitted online via VONAPP (Veterans On-line Application website).

Vocational Rehabilitation participants should contact the Department of Veterans Affairs, Vocational Rehabilitation, Rehabilitation Counselor, Sophia Newman by calling (808) 433-0560 or emailing

On-campus Disability Services are available through the Disability Services (DS) office. For more information visit the DS web site, or visit the DS office.

Additional Resources

American Military Veterans Scholarship

This is an annual scholarship awarded to a current military veteran or honorably discharged veteran or parent, sibling, child or grandchild of a current or honorably discharged veteran. All applications for the scholarship must include the military veteran's, associated with the request for scholarship, DD-214 or if not available, a sworn affidavit attesting to the name, branch of service, years served and honorable discharge or current military enlistment of the veteran.

Quick Phone Guide

For answers to your questions, please call the appropriate VA department :

  • Education: 1-888-442-4551
  • Monthly Verification of Attendance: 1-877-823-2378
  • Work Study: 1-918-781-7878
  • Direct Deposit: 1-877-838-2778
  • Other VA Benefits: 1-800-827-1000

Veteran's Outreach in Student Services Center (SSC)

Maricar Souza of the Hilo Vet Center is available to assist with veterans benefit information. Her SSC, Room E-231 office hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday, 9am to 2pm.

The Vet Center provides veterans with the following services:

  • Many types of counseling, including counseling for re-adjustment, sexual trauma, bereavement, and marital and family concerns
  • Individual, family, and group counseling
  • Resources for veterans in need
  • Employment help
  • Federal work-study program
  • Education benefits information
  • Peer-to-peer counseling

Employment at the Hilo Vet Center

The Hilo Vet Center is seeking student work-study applicants for office clerk positions. Interested veterans and/or dependents of veterans should contact Jobe Leialoha at the Hilo Vet Center at (808) 969-3833.

WAVE Self-Service Options

Students receiving the Montgomery GI-Bill Active Duty or Selected Reserve are able to use the WAVE application to:

  • Submit a monthly verification of enrollment
  • Report a change in enrollment
  • Change a mailing address
  • Change a direct deposit
  • View current benefit information
  • Sign up for monthly reminder messages
  • Determine if there is any “paperwork” pending at VA

The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008

The VA started accepting applications for the Post-9/11 GI Bill on May 1, 2009. The VA issues Certificates of Eligibility for eligible applicants and began making payments August 1, 2009, the first day benefits can be paid under this law.

Veterans, service members, reservists, and National Guard members with active duty service since September 11, 2001, may be eligible for this benefit. Individuals may apply online through the GI Bill website.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill marks the most expansive increase in veterans education benefits since World War II. Not only does it provide eligible individuals with college tuition assistance, but for many participants it also provides a housing allowance, a stipend for books and supplies, and the option of sharing these benefits with family members.

Information about the new program and VA’s other educational benefits can be obtained through the web site or by calling 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). Download the VA pamphlet.

Study Abroad Programs under the Post-9/11 GI Bill

Thinking about participating in a study abroad program? You may qualify for assistance through the Post-9/11 GI Bill. For information on tuition and fees, housing, books and supplies under Post-9/11 GI Bill, contact the VA directly at (888) 442-4551.

To learn more about programs available through UH Hilo, visit the Center for Global Education and Exchange website or the National Student Exchange website.

Notification of Compliance Survey

To all students receiving VA educational benefits: A VA compliance survey is being conducted at this school. Although a VA representative will not be physically available on the campus, you are encouraged to contact the VA directly at (888) 442-4551 with any comments or concerns you may have about this school.

Contact Us

To contact the UH Hilo Office of the Registrar, email Questions regarding other University of Hawaiʻi campuses should be directed to the appropriate campus contact.