AANAPISI Campus Jobs
AANAPISI (pronounced “Ah-nah-pee-see”) stands for “Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions.” UH Hilo is designated as an “AANAPISI” institution because of our large numbers of Asian American and Pacific Islander students. We have been awarded a grant from the U.S. Department of Education that includes providing opportunities for students to engage in “high impact” activities to help you remain in and graduate from UH Hilo.
The “high impact” activities include working on in various units/offices throughout campus; serving as a research assistant with a faculty member or working in an internship; and providing service to the community in various capacities, such as tutoring and mentoring students in the Hilo community.
The highest priority to participate in the program is based on the following criteria:
- UH Hilo classified undergraduate student
- Pacific islander ethnicity
- Financial need (as demonstrated through the FAFSA financial aid application)
- UH Hilo students (HCC students not eligible)
- enrolled at least half-time
- minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- maintaining satisfactory academic progress
- students whose home campus is not UH Hilo (e.g., HCC students)
- graduate and post-baccalaureate students
- students who have previously earned a baccalaureate degree
- Native Hawaiians do not qualify for the purpose of this grant
Opportunities are available on a rolling basis; there is no deadline. Please note that students who are deemed eligible to participate in the program are not guaranteed a position.
Pacific Islander students who complete ONE of these workshops will be given priority consideration for any of the AANAPISI-funded jobs or the HELP positions. Participation in this workshop does NOT guarantee placement, but you will not be considered until you have completed one of them.
- Fall, 2013
- Monday, 9/9/2013, 11:00 - 12:00 pm, PISC
- Tuesday, 9/10/2013, 2:00 - 3:00 pm, PISC
- Thursday, 9/12/2013, 4:30 - 5:30 pm, PISC
- Fall, 2013
We appreciate your help in completing the anonymous surveys to help us improve services and programs at the PISC. Participation in this survey is voluntary.
- Pacific Islander Student Online Survey >link to online survey
- Volunteer in Community Service
- March, 2014 - TBD
- Job Placement Online Evaluation > Coming soon
How to Apply
Steps to apply for a position if you meet the above eligibility requirements:
- Job Listing - Check our job listing of AANAPISI-funded positions on our website and choose the position that you most qualify for or meet your interest.
- Cover Letter - We recommend you put together a cover letter addressed to the supervisor listed on the job listing position. (Tip: What's a cover letter?)
- Resume (Required) - Attach a Word or PDF version of your most update resume. Be sure the resume is updated. (Tip: Five Resume Tips for College Students).
If Offered a Job...
You will need to visit the RCUH Hiring Procedures for forms to bring to the Pacific Islander Student Center.
Contact Vid Raatior (firstname.lastname@example.org), 808-933-3817 or come by the PISC in Campus Center 307.