Our AANAPISI grant funds opportunities for Pacific Islander students to engage in “high impact” activities. Among a variety of “high impact” activities are our Highly Engaged Learning Positions (HELP) in which students are employed on and off-campus; serving as a research assistant with a faculty member or working in an internship; and providing service to the community in various capacities, such as tutoring and mentoring students in the Hilo community.
The highest priority to participate in the student employment program is based on the following criteria:
- UH Hilo classified undergraduate student
- Pacific islander ethnicity
- Financial need (as demonstrated through the FAFSA financial aid application)
- UH Hilo students (HCC students not eligible)
- enrolled at least half-time
- minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA (exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis; contact the Director for more information)
- maintaining satisfactory academic progress
- students whose home campus is not UH Hilo (e.g., HCC students)
- graduate and post-baccalaureate students
- students who have previously earned a baccalaureate degree
- Native Hawaiians do not qualify for the purpose of this grant
Opportunities are available on a rolling basis; there is no deadline. Please note that students who are deemed eligible to participate in the program are not guaranteed a position.
Pacific Islander students who complete ONE of the HELP Job Training workshops will be given priority consideration for any of the AANAPISI-funded HELP placements. Participation in this workshop does NOT guarantee placement, but you will not be considered until you have completed one of them. See Events Calendar for HELP Wanted - Job Training.
How to Apply
Steps to apply for a position if you meet the above eligibility requirements:
- Step 1: HELP Wanted - Job Listing - Visit our HELP website (www.help.pacificstudents.org) to search for current job openings. Select a position(s) and go to step 2.
- Step 2: Apply for HELP - Fill out the HELP Student Application Form and email it along with your current resume to Vid Raatior (firstname.lastname@example.org). Be sure the resume is updated. (Tip: Five Resume Tips for College Students). You may be called in for an interview.
- Step 3: Get Hired - Once you've been selected for the position, then you will need to fill out the employment paperwork through the Research Corporation of University of Hawaii (RCUH). Visit the RCUH Hiring Procedures>>
Once RCUH has approved your employment...
You will be sent an email from RCUH and the PISC with the start date of your position and a job orientation at the PISC.
Contact Vid Raatior (email@example.com), 808-932-7718 or visit him in his office in Campus Center 311, across the lobby from the PISC.