The Island Time is a monthly gathering at the Pacific Islander Student Center (PISC) at UH Hilo that is part social, part cultural awareness, part talk-story time. Hosted by each of the Pacific Islander student organizations at UH Hilo / HCC, Island Time is an informal way for the Pacific Islander students to introduce their organization, their island, and some aspect of their culture with the campus community and anyone interested.
Schedule of Gatherings
- Friday, February 8, 2013 hosted by the Tupulaga O Samoa Mo A Taeao (The Samoan Club) featuring the Samoan cultural practice of the ava ceremony.
- Friday, March 8, 2013, hosted by the Wa’ab Student Organization (WSO) focusing on the traditional art of navigation featuring student accounts of their experiences growing up on Satawal, the home of the late world renowned master navigator Mau Piailug.
- April 19, 2013, hosted by the Marshallese Iakwe Club (MIC) featuring the Ineon – Art Exhibit a successful community art project involving the Marshallese people in Ocean View.
- Friday, September 6, 2013 kick-off Island Time for the 2013-2014 academic year co-hosted by all the Pacific Islander student organizations as part of the HELP Symposium (http://hilo.hawaii.edu/pisc/programs/help.php) and the new Welcome Dinner for the new Pacific Islander students at UH Hilo.
- Friday, October 4, 2013 hosted by Kosrae Hilo Organization (KHO) in partnership with the larger Kosrae community of Hilo with the theme: ‘Transformation of Traditional Values in Today's Modern Kosrae."
- Friday, November 8, 2013 hosted by the Pohnpei Kaselehlie Club and their elders from the larger Pohnpeian community in Hilo featuring a demonstration of the sakau ceremony, Pohnpeian food displays, handicrafts.
- Friday, January 10, 2014. (Tentative) Debuting the Island Time television program on Na Leo O Hawaii public access channel 54. The program will feature the Media Team from UH Hilo and Waiakea Intermediate School in which they will talk about the Media Team work, discuss upcoming shows, show a select number of the digital storytelling videos shown on Na Leo Hawaii Channel 54.
- February 7 & 8, 2014 – February’s Island Time will be dedicated to the annual International Nights sponsored by the International Student Association.
- March 14, 2014 - Join the Palauan students from UH Hilo and HCC who are members of the Ngelekel Belau student organization for a fun and informative evening of Palauan culture, arts, crafts, performances, and other displays.
- April 4, 2014 - Host: Chuukese Student Association
- May 1, 2014 - Host: PISC
Island Time on Television
The Island Time television program on Na Leo O Hawaii public access channel 54. The goal is to expand Island Time through the mass media featuring Pacific Island cultures, events, leaders, activities, interviews…all produced through the eyes and experiences of Pacific Islander students at UH Hilo and Waiakea Intermediate School. To achieve that goal, the Pacific Islander Student Center has partnered with Ken Okimoto from the Nā Leo ʻO Hawaiʻi public access television in Hilo, Robert Bowman the Tech RT from the Hilo-Waiakea Complex Area, Jermy Uowolo, president of the Hawaii-based Micronesians United – Big Island (www.mu-bi.org) organization to create a way to produce a news magazine television show for, with, about Pacific Islanders in Hawaii.