The So-shin Kai and the Okinawan Koto in Hilo - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The So-shin Kai and the Okinawan Koto in Hilo
Location: ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center Moanahoku Room
Join Darin Miyashiro, Shizuko Akamine, and members of the So-shin Kai for this entertaining and educational performance. Presentation will focus on the Okinawan koto tradition in Hilo as established by group foundress Midori Matayoshi and as perpetuated by current leader Shizuko Akamine. Examples of Okinawan koto music from classic works to folk songs will be demonstrated with special guest Gary Oshiro on uta-sanshin. Darin Miyashiro, koto instructor at UH Manoa, is currently working with Shizuko Akamine and the So-shin Kai through the Hawaii State Foundation on Culture and the Arts Apprenticeship Program. Free event sponsored by Kinzo and Fumiko Nishimura Cultural Fund. RSVP required: hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/ccecs/registration/freecourses.php
For more information, contact: email@example.com 974-7664
What's also happening?
- Honoring Diversity Workshop
- "Honoring Diversity for a Caring and Inclusive Campus" April 1st. 2015 in Campus Center Rm 301 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM **Continental Breakfast Provided** This workshop promotes an understanding of diversity that creates cultural ...
- Positions Available for Kanilehua Art and Literary Magazine
- We are currently looking for creative and hardworking UH Hilo students to fill the positions at Kanilehua Art and Literary Magazine. ...
- Nominations Being Accepted for Ka Lama Ku Recognition Awards
- Nominations for the Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Recognition Awards Now Being Accepted for 2014/2015 School Year by students, faculty, staff and community members. ...
- UH Hilo Food Drive
- 1 can, 2 can, 3 can, MORE! It's time for UH Hilo's annual canned food drive to help out our community partner, the Hawai'i Food Basket. ...
- Volunteers Wanted for an E-cigarette Study
- Volunteers Wanted for an E-cigarette Study Hello University of Hawaii students, We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. ...
- Note Takers Needed--FALL 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.