The So-shin Kai and the Okinawan Koto in Hilo - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The So-shin Kai and the Okinawan Koto in Hilo
Location: ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center Moanahoku Room
Join Darin Miyashiro, Shizuko Akamine, and members of the So-shin Kai for this entertaining and educational performance. Presentation will focus on the Okinawan koto tradition in Hilo as established by group foundress Midori Matayoshi and as perpetuated by current leader Shizuko Akamine. Examples of Okinawan koto music from classic works to folk songs will be demonstrated with special guest Gary Oshiro on uta-sanshin. Darin Miyashiro, koto instructor at UH Manoa, is currently working with Shizuko Akamine and the So-shin Kai through the Hawaii State Foundation on Culture and the Arts Apprenticeship Program. Free event sponsored by Kinzo and Fumiko Nishimura Cultural Fund. RSVP required: hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/ccecs/registration/freecourses.php
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 974-7664
What's also happening?
|Week of July 13, 2014||Next →|
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Applications for 2018-2019
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Applications Are you a US citizen interested in studying abroad while conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2018 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2018 or the academic year ('18-'19) you need to submit your application by October 2, 2017. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration NOW OPEN!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.