The So-shin Kai and the Okinawan Koto in Hilo - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The So-shin Kai and the Okinawan Koto in Hilo
Location: ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center Moanahoku Room
Join Darin Miyashiro, Shizuko Akamine, and members of the So-shin Kai for this entertaining and educational performance. Presentation will focus on the Okinawan koto tradition in Hilo as established by group foundress Midori Matayoshi and as perpetuated by current leader Shizuko Akamine. Examples of Okinawan koto music from classic works to folk songs will be demonstrated with special guest Gary Oshiro on uta-sanshin. Darin Miyashiro, koto instructor at UH Manoa, is currently working with Shizuko Akamine and the So-shin Kai through the Hawaii State Foundation on Culture and the Arts Apprenticeship Program. Free event sponsored by Kinzo and Fumiko Nishimura Cultural Fund. RSVP required: hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/ccecs/registration/freecourses.php
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 974-7664
What's also happening?
- Advising for Spring 2015
- In preparation for spring 2015 course registration, be sure to meet with your assigned advisor between November 19-26. You can find your advisor in MyUH and in STAR. ...
- Seeking Vendors for the 2015 Hoʻolauleʻa!
- The 2015 Hoʻolauleʻa Committee is seeking vendors for our 20th annual event. The event is on Saturday, January 17, 2015 from 12:00pm to 8:00pm in the Performing Arts Center Parking Lot on UH Hilo campus. ...
- Board of Student Publications (BOSP) 2014-2015 Applications
- The Board of Student Publications (BOSP) is a Charted UH Hilo Student Organization that oversees the three (3) UH Hilo publications, Ke Kalahea, Hohonu, and Kanilehua and we are filling current vacancies on the Board: If you're interested in ...
- Volunteers wanted for an e-cigarette study
- We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. The purpose is to interview e-cigarette users on reasons for starting, dual use of conventional cigarettes, and opinions on potential legislation. ...
- APIASF Scholarship
- The APIASF General Scholarship is open to Asian American and Pacific Islander students who will be enrolling or are currently enrolled in a U.S. accredited college or university as a degree-seeking undergraduate student in Fall 2015. ...
- International Nights 2015 Seeking Performers
- The UH Hilo International Student Association invites students to perform in International Nights 2015! The shows will be held on February 6 & 7, 2015 at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. ...
- College Goal 808
- College Goal 808 is designed to help students and their families navigate the student financial aid process. The event offers free assistance in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. ...
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2015-2016 and Scholarship
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2015-2016 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2015. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.