The So-shin Kai and the Okinawan Koto in Hilo - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The So-shin Kai and the Okinawan Koto in Hilo
Location: ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center Moanahoku Room
Join Darin Miyashiro, Shizuko Akamine, and members of the So-shin Kai for this entertaining and educational performance. Presentation will focus on the Okinawan koto tradition in Hilo as established by group foundress Midori Matayoshi and as perpetuated by current leader Shizuko Akamine. Examples of Okinawan koto music from classic works to folk songs will be demonstrated with special guest Gary Oshiro on uta-sanshin. Darin Miyashiro, koto instructor at UH Manoa, is currently working with Shizuko Akamine and the So-shin Kai through the Hawaii State Foundation on Culture and the Arts Apprenticeship Program. Free event sponsored by Kinzo and Fumiko Nishimura Cultural Fund. RSVP required: hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/ccecs/registration/freecourses.php
For more information, contact: email@example.com 974-7664
What's also happening?
- International Buddy Program
- Become a buddy for a new international student! We are looking for students, especially students from Hawaii and the US mainland, to volunteer as a buddy for a new international student in the fall. ...
- Epic Origami at 'Imiloa
- 'Imiloa will explore the art and science of origami in its new temporary exhibit, Epic Origami, which will run from July 5 through September 27, 2015. ...
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.