Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series
Location: Wentworth 1
Mahiʻa: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner
Hi‘ilei Kawelo will present her lecture, “Mahiʻa: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner,” from 2–3:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 10, at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo, Wentworth 1, and from 5:30–7 p.m. on Friday, April 11, in the Keauhou Ballroom III at Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa at Keauhou Bay. Both lectures are free and open to the public.
Kawelo is the executive director of Paepae o He‘eia, a small non-profit that cares for the 88-acre traditional Hawaiian fishpond in He‘eia on O‘ahu. Her practice is that of a wahine lawai‘a (fisherwoman), specific to the Kane‘ohe Bay area. Born in Kailua, O‘ahu, with ‘ohana (family) in nearby Kahalu‘u, Kawelo says it was her family’s dependence on the bay for sustenance that led her to where she is today, and that momentum and opportunities to engage the community through the fishpond led to the creation of Paepae o He‘eia in 2001.
“The He‘eia ahupua‘a (land division) may well be one of the few ahupua‘a on the island of O‘ahu where the connection between land and sea is still maintained and is actively being restored,” Kawelo said. “Paepae o Heʻeia’s work at the fishpond relies on the work of others in the ahupua‘a such as Papahana Kuaola and Kako‘o ‘Oiwi.”
A graduate of Punahou School, Kawelo received a bachelor’s of arts degree in zoology and a certificate in the marine options program from the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa. She previously worked at the Oceanic Institute for five years in the Fisheries and Environmental Sciences Program/Stock Enhancement Program.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 932-7418
What's also happening?
|Week of April 6, 2014||Next →|
- International Buddy Program
- Become a buddy for a new international student! We are looking for students, especially students from Hawaii and the US mainland, to volunteer as a buddy for a new international student in the fall. ...
- Software Systems for Astronomy July 25-August 5
- Mark your calendar for July 25 - August 5, 2016 (tentatively set) for the second annual Software Systems in Astronomy two week intensive class offered by Professor Albert Conrad. ...
- Students and alums: Set up your online career portfolio now!
- Have you signed up for College Central, UH Hilo's internship and employment placement site? www.collegecentral.com/hilo-hawaii/ Your college degree isn't a golden ticket to a dream job. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.