Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series
Location: Wentworth 1
Mahiʻa: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner
Hi‘ilei Kawelo will present her lecture, “Mahiʻa: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner,” from 2–3:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 10, at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo, Wentworth 1, and from 5:30–7 p.m. on Friday, April 11, in the Keauhou Ballroom III at Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa at Keauhou Bay. Both lectures are free and open to the public.
Kawelo is the executive director of Paepae o He‘eia, a small non-profit that cares for the 88-acre traditional Hawaiian fishpond in He‘eia on O‘ahu. Her practice is that of a wahine lawai‘a (fisherwoman), specific to the Kane‘ohe Bay area. Born in Kailua, O‘ahu, with ‘ohana (family) in nearby Kahalu‘u, Kawelo says it was her family’s dependence on the bay for sustenance that led her to where she is today, and that momentum and opportunities to engage the community through the fishpond led to the creation of Paepae o He‘eia in 2001.
“The He‘eia ahupua‘a (land division) may well be one of the few ahupua‘a on the island of O‘ahu where the connection between land and sea is still maintained and is actively being restored,” Kawelo said. “Paepae o Heʻeia’s work at the fishpond relies on the work of others in the ahupua‘a such as Papahana Kuaola and Kako‘o ‘Oiwi.”
A graduate of Punahou School, Kawelo received a bachelor’s of arts degree in zoology and a certificate in the marine options program from the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa. She previously worked at the Oceanic Institute for five years in the Fisheries and Environmental Sciences Program/Stock Enhancement Program.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 932-7418
What's also happening?
10a SAC- Cupcake Bar
10a SAC- Cupcake Bar
5:30p ALEX Etiquette Dinner
6:30p Take Back the Night
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
9:45a Vulcan Dash
- University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association
- Want to make a difference? Get involved with the University of Hawaii at Hilo Student Association (UHHSA)! We act as a liaison between the student body and the college administration through active collaboration with faculty, the University ...
- Student Life Center
- The Student Life Center will be CLOSED on Monday, Sep. 7th, 2015 (Labor Day).
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Applications
- Are you a US citizen interested in studying abroad while conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2016-2017 academic year. ...
- Epic Origami at ʻImiloa
- ʻImiloa will explore the art and science of origami in its new temporary exhibit, Epic Origami, which will run from July 5 through September 27, 2015. ...
- Yellow Ribbon Program: One Slot Available
- I am pleased to announce that a slot has opened up in the Yellow Ribbon Program here at UH Hilo. This program is designed to help pay the difference between the highest in-state tuition (which is what the VA allots) and non-resident tuition. ...
- RISO Orientation and Funding Workshop
- Interested in reapplying as a Registered Independent Student Organization (R.I.S.O.) for the 2015-2016 school year... ...
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship Applications
- UH Hilo students of Asian American and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity who are US citizens, nationals or permanent residents (or citizens of the FSM, Palau or the Marshall Islands) are eligible to apply for the APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship for the ...
- Calling all Female Students! Join the SISTA Project!
- The SISTA Project is an all-women’s empowerment group designed to empower women of all ages to use positive life skills. ...
- 20th Annual Make A Difference Day
- Make A Difference Day is an annual event that will be on Saturday, October 24, 2015. As we have since 1995, we will be focusing on UH Hilo campus projects, including, gardening, weeding, general maintenance and campus beautification. ...
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
- UH Hilo Bike Share Program
- The University Concierge by New Student Programs is proud to offer UH Hilo's new Bike Share Program! All current students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to borrow a bicycle to run errands around town. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- UH Hilo welcomes the newest service to support our university and community ‘ohana. Introducing The University Concierge. Located on the first floor of the Student Services Center, The University Concierge is a gateway for campus information. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.