Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series
Location: Wentworth 1
Mahiʻa: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner
Hi‘ilei Kawelo will present her lecture, “Mahiʻa: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner,” from 2–3:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 10, at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo, Wentworth 1, and from 5:30–7 p.m. on Friday, April 11, in the Keauhou Ballroom III at Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa at Keauhou Bay. Both lectures are free and open to the public.
Kawelo is the executive director of Paepae o He‘eia, a small non-profit that cares for the 88-acre traditional Hawaiian fishpond in He‘eia on O‘ahu. Her practice is that of a wahine lawai‘a (fisherwoman), specific to the Kane‘ohe Bay area. Born in Kailua, O‘ahu, with ‘ohana (family) in nearby Kahalu‘u, Kawelo says it was her family’s dependence on the bay for sustenance that led her to where she is today, and that momentum and opportunities to engage the community through the fishpond led to the creation of Paepae o He‘eia in 2001.
“The He‘eia ahupua‘a (land division) may well be one of the few ahupua‘a on the island of O‘ahu where the connection between land and sea is still maintained and is actively being restored,” Kawelo said. “Paepae o Heʻeia’s work at the fishpond relies on the work of others in the ahupua‘a such as Papahana Kuaola and Kako‘o ‘Oiwi.”
A graduate of Punahou School, Kawelo received a bachelor’s of arts degree in zoology and a certificate in the marine options program from the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa. She previously worked at the Oceanic Institute for five years in the Fisheries and Environmental Sciences Program/Stock Enhancement Program.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 932-7418
What's also happening?
|Week of April 6, 2014||Next →|
- Board of Media Broadcasting Open Positions
- The UH Hilo Board of Media Broadcasting has two open positions for the 2017-2018 academic year. These positions will have an open application process until they are filled. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- UH Hilo Mentoring Recognition Award!
- Having a great mentor is critical in student success and we'd like to know who has been your mentor here at UH Hilo. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo’s brand for student retention and graduation. We communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Follow us on social media or regularly check our website (hilo.hawaii. ...
- Spring 2018 Legislative Internships
- Do you love politics? Have you ever wanted to learn firsthand about how laws are made? Internship opportunities in Hawaii State Senator Kai Kahele's Honolulu Office and Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz's Honolulu and Washington DC Offices. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.