Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series
Location: Wentworth 1
Mahiʻa: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner
Hi‘ilei Kawelo will present her lecture, “Mahiʻa: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner,” from 2–3:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 10, at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo, Wentworth 1, and from 5:30–7 p.m. on Friday, April 11, in the Keauhou Ballroom III at Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa at Keauhou Bay. Both lectures are free and open to the public.
Kawelo is the executive director of Paepae o He‘eia, a small non-profit that cares for the 88-acre traditional Hawaiian fishpond in He‘eia on O‘ahu. Her practice is that of a wahine lawai‘a (fisherwoman), specific to the Kane‘ohe Bay area. Born in Kailua, O‘ahu, with ‘ohana (family) in nearby Kahalu‘u, Kawelo says it was her family’s dependence on the bay for sustenance that led her to where she is today, and that momentum and opportunities to engage the community through the fishpond led to the creation of Paepae o He‘eia in 2001.
“The He‘eia ahupua‘a (land division) may well be one of the few ahupua‘a on the island of O‘ahu where the connection between land and sea is still maintained and is actively being restored,” Kawelo said. “Paepae o Heʻeia’s work at the fishpond relies on the work of others in the ahupua‘a such as Papahana Kuaola and Kako‘o ‘Oiwi.”
A graduate of Punahou School, Kawelo received a bachelor’s of arts degree in zoology and a certificate in the marine options program from the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa. She previously worked at the Oceanic Institute for five years in the Fisheries and Environmental Sciences Program/Stock Enhancement Program.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 932-7418
What's also happening?
10a SAC- Cupcake Bar
10a SAC- Cupcake Bar
5:30p ALEX Etiquette Dinner
6:30p Take Back the Night
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
9:45a Vulcan Dash
- University Dining Services Survey
- Take the University Dining Services SURVEY and you will be entered to WIN One of Two $150 Gift Cards in Dining Points! Your feedback is important and we want to hear from you! Take the Survey Online at: http://vcil. ...
- Seeking Vendors for the 2015 Hoʻolauleʻa!
- The 2015 Hoʻolauleʻa Committee is seeking vendors for our 20th annual event. The event is on Saturday, January 17, 2015 from 12:00pm to 8:00pm in the Performing Arts Center Parking Lot on UH Hilo campus. ...
- Volunteers wanted for an e-cigarette study
- We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. The purpose is to interview e-cigarette users on reasons for starting, dual use of conventional cigarettes, and opinions on potential legislation. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.