Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series
Location: Wentworth 1
Mahiʻa: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner
Hi‘ilei Kawelo will present her lecture, “Mahiʻa: Revitalization of the Fishpond Practitioner,” from 2–3:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 10, at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo, Wentworth 1, and from 5:30–7 p.m. on Friday, April 11, in the Keauhou Ballroom III at Sheraton Kona Resort and Spa at Keauhou Bay. Both lectures are free and open to the public.
Kawelo is the executive director of Paepae o He‘eia, a small non-profit that cares for the 88-acre traditional Hawaiian fishpond in He‘eia on O‘ahu. Her practice is that of a wahine lawai‘a (fisherwoman), specific to the Kane‘ohe Bay area. Born in Kailua, O‘ahu, with ‘ohana (family) in nearby Kahalu‘u, Kawelo says it was her family’s dependence on the bay for sustenance that led her to where she is today, and that momentum and opportunities to engage the community through the fishpond led to the creation of Paepae o He‘eia in 2001.
“The He‘eia ahupua‘a (land division) may well be one of the few ahupua‘a on the island of O‘ahu where the connection between land and sea is still maintained and is actively being restored,” Kawelo said. “Paepae o Heʻeia’s work at the fishpond relies on the work of others in the ahupua‘a such as Papahana Kuaola and Kako‘o ‘Oiwi.”
A graduate of Punahou School, Kawelo received a bachelor’s of arts degree in zoology and a certificate in the marine options program from the University of Hawai‘i at Manoa. She previously worked at the Oceanic Institute for five years in the Fisheries and Environmental Sciences Program/Stock Enhancement Program.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 932-7418
What's also happening?
|Week of April 6, 2014||Next →|
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship Apply for the APIASF AANAPISI scholarship! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $5,000 awards. ...
- UH Hilo New Student Survey by NSP
- Aloha to all our newest Vulcans! Each year, the New Student Programs (NSP) office seeks feedback from the students to better its events and services. ...
- Critical Language Scholarship Available
- The Summer 2018 Critical Language Scholarship application is now available. Spend eight to ten weeks abroad during the summer learning Azerbaijani, Bangla, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Punjabi, Swahili, Turkish, Urdu, Arabic, Persian, Chinese, ...
- LGBTQIA Student Support Group
- LGBTQIA Student Support Group LGBTQIA Student Support Group LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) Support Group is for UH Hilo students who are questioning or identify as members of the LGBTQIA community. ...
- ASD Student Support Group
- ASD Student Support Group The ASD Support Group is for students who are part of the Autism Spectrum community. The purpose of the group is for members to get support from others in a safe, confidential setting. ...
- Fall 2017 Support Groups
- Counseling Services Present: Fall 2017 Counseling & Support Groups All UH Hilo students are welcome! There is no charge for our services. All services respect your privacy and confidentiality. ...
- Support for Students with Disabilities Group
- The Support Group for Students with Disabilities is for students with physical, learning, psychiatric or other disabilities. ...
- Women's Support Group
- The UH Hilo Counseling Center Women's Support Group, is for female students that are seeking to provide and receive support from other like-minded women, please join us for a time of healing, sharing and empowerment. ...
- New to UH Hilo Support Group
- Transitioning to Campus Life can be difficult. Students new to the University of Hawaii at Hilo are invited to join us for a time to connect, share and get support in your new journey. ...
- The Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Series
- The Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Program at Campus Center introduces the Student Leadership Series with a Certificate of Leadership for UH Hilo students who complete and attend 7+ leadership trainings. ...
- APIASF General Scholarship
- Apply for the APIASF General Scholarship for the 2018-2019 school year! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $20,000 awards. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.