Eia Hawaiʻi: Kapa Oliveira, Naming Practices - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi: Kapa Oliveira, Naming Practices
Location: Campus Center 301
Mai Kekahi Kapa a i Kekahi Kapa Aku:
Environmental Kinship and Kanaka Naming Practices
Katrina-Ann R. Kapā‘anaokalāokeola Nākoa Oliveira will explore Kanaka (Native Hawaiian) naming practices and environmental kinship that transform spaces into personalized places, revealing the level of thought and intention that is given, especially to the naming of place. She will show how traditional naming practices are an important aspect of the culture and how outside influence shave affected naming practices over time.
Oliveira is the director of Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language and an associate professor of Hawaiian at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. She holds a Ph.D. in geography with cultural geography as her area of specialization. She is a former fellow ofthe East-West Center, First Nations’ Futures Program, and Mellon-Hawaiʻi fellowship program. Her research includes Hawaiian geographies, epistemologies, and language acquisition methodologies.
For more information, contact: Mandaya@hawaii.edu 932-7418
What's also happening?
Holiday observed: Presidents' Day
5:45p Learn to Swing Dance
- International Nights Tickets on Sale
- Tickets for the annual International Nights performances are now on sale! The shows are scheduled for February 6 and 7, 2015. Tickets can be purchased at the Performing Arts Center Box Office, Tuesday-Friday from 9-1. ...
- College Goal 808
- College Goal 808 is designed to help students and their families navigate the student financial aid process. The event offers free assistance in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. ...
- Pre-Valentine Concert with Kris Fuchigami
- Accomplished ʻukulele artist, Kris Fuchigami returns to ‘Imiloa’s Planetarium stage with special guest and award-winning artist, Brittni Paiva. Ticket includes pupus at 5:30 p.m. in Atrium, and concert at 7 p.m. under planetarium stars. ...
- PIPES 2015 Summer Internships - Online apps available!
- If you're a student looking for an exciting summer internship opportunity with agencies and organizations who work in conservation science, natural resource management, and environmental education then check out our PIPES 2015 program. ...
- UH System Common Scholarship Application 2015-2016
- The University of Hawaiʻi System Common Scholarship Application will be available online for the 2015-2016 academic year on December 1, 2014. ...
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2015-2016 and Scholarship
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2015-2016 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2015. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.