Eia Hawaiʻi: Kapa Oliveira, Naming Practices - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi: Kapa Oliveira, Naming Practices
Location: Campus Center 301
Mai Kekahi Kapa a i Kekahi Kapa Aku:
Environmental Kinship and Kanaka Naming Practices
Katrina-Ann R. Kapā‘anaokalāokeola Nākoa Oliveira will explore Kanaka (Native Hawaiian) naming practices and environmental kinship that transform spaces into personalized places, revealing the level of thought and intention that is given, especially to the naming of place. She will show how traditional naming practices are an important aspect of the culture and how outside influence shave affected naming practices over time.
Oliveira is the director of Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language and an associate professor of Hawaiian at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. She holds a Ph.D. in geography with cultural geography as her area of specialization. She is a former fellow ofthe East-West Center, First Nations’ Futures Program, and Mellon-Hawaiʻi fellowship program. Her research includes Hawaiian geographies, epistemologies, and language acquisition methodologies.
For more information, contact: Mandaya@hawaii.edu 932-7418
What's also happening?
Holiday observed: Presidents' Day
5:45p Learn to Swing Dance
- SAC Four Leaf Clover Hunt
- On March 10–14, 2014, you will see Four leaf clovers posted all over the UH Hilo campus. Collect as much as you can and bring them to the Student Activities Council (SAC) Saint Patricks Day event held on March 17th, 2014.
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2014-2015
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2014-2015 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2014. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
- Global Lens Film Series
- The Global Lens film series returns to UH Hilo this spring! The series a critically acclaimed showcase of award-winning, independent narrative features from around the world. ...
- SAC: Plaza Market Monday
- During the Spring semester, UH Hilo's Student Activities Council (SAC) will sponsor Plaza Market Monday every 2nd and 4th Monday from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. ...
- Swing Dance Club
- Swing Dance Club meets Fridays, 5:45-8:00 pm at the Old Gym! Come join us for a night of instruction, fun, free dancing... and swing!