Eia Hawaiʻi: Kapa Oliveira, Naming Practices - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi: Kapa Oliveira, Naming Practices
Location: Campus Center 301
Mai Kekahi Kapa a i Kekahi Kapa Aku:
Environmental Kinship and Kanaka Naming Practices
Katrina-Ann R. Kapā‘anaokalāokeola Nākoa Oliveira will explore Kanaka (Native Hawaiian) naming practices and environmental kinship that transform spaces into personalized places, revealing the level of thought and intention that is given, especially to the naming of place. She will show how traditional naming practices are an important aspect of the culture and how outside influence shave affected naming practices over time.
Oliveira is the director of Kawaihuelani Center for Hawaiian Language and an associate professor of Hawaiian at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. She holds a Ph.D. in geography with cultural geography as her area of specialization. She is a former fellow ofthe East-West Center, First Nations’ Futures Program, and Mellon-Hawaiʻi fellowship program. Her research includes Hawaiian geographies, epistemologies, and language acquisition methodologies.
For more information, contact: Mandaya@hawaii.edu 932-7418
What's also happening?
|Week of February 16, 2014||Next →|
Holiday observed: Presidents’ Day
- LGBTQIA+ Support Group
- LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) Support Group is for UH Hilo students who are questioning or identify as members of the LGBTQIA community. Group meets once a week for 1 hour throughout the semester. ...
- Support Group for Students with Disabilties
- The Support Group for Students with Disabilities is for students with physical, learning, psychiatric, or other disabilities. ...
- RISO Registration Form now Available
- Attention UH Hilo Students: The CCS office is now accepting RISO registration forms for the 2016-2017 school year. For more information or to view the application and requirements please visit the RISO webpage: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Career Connections
- The Career and Academic Advising Center is hosting a series of information sessions called Career Connections this spring semester. These sessions will feature businesses and employers and allow students to interact in a more intimate setting. ...
- 2017 UH Hilo Annual Spring Food Drive
- The UH Hilo 2017 Annual Spring Food Drive is done in culmination with the State Food Drive. Please help us end hunger in Hawai`i. All of your donations, food or monetary, will stay right here to help Big Island residents. In 2016 alone 1. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards Cards
- New Student Programs wants to help you succeed! Our Academic Achievement Awards Cards program is a way for you to be rewarded when you do well on a homework assignments, report, tests, and more. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- The University Concierge is your one-stop-shop for all campus info and hosts UH Hilo’s Bike Share Program and New Student Programs’ Academic Achievement Awards Cards. ...
- Students and alums: Set up your online career portfolio now!
- Have you signed up for College Central, UH Hilo's internship and employment placement site? www.collegecentral.com/hilo-hawaii/ Your college degree isn't a golden ticket to a dream job. ...
- Volunteers Needed!
- Campus and Community Service(CCS) is a Campus Center program that provides an educational approach to foster civic responsibility and engagement through active participation in organized service that meets community needs. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.