Black History Month: The Drizzle, West African Storytelling - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Black History Month: The Drizzle, West African Storytelling
Location: UH Housing: Kehau Turnaround
The Residence Hall Association and Minority Access and Achievement Program proudly presents another cultural DRIZZLE event. This showcase is a modern interpretation of an age old indigenous tradition as it has manifested in parts of Africa. There will also be contemporary storytelling and traditional Hawaiian storytelling.
Come and enjoy, as the storytellers physically animate a parable, myth, or piece of history while accompanied by musicians to accentuate the pace and rhythms of the story. The content of the stories deal with cultural and socio-political concepts that would serve to awaken latent parallels between cultures, particularly the experiences of Africans and Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders. As the oral tradition in itself bridges gaps between many cultures, so do we hope the ideas and circumstances of the stories presented through this program will foster positive cultural exchange and help to benefit solidarity between people within our community.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 9327463
What's also happening?
|February 2014/March 2014|
3p Asthma 101
5:45p Learn to Swing Dance
- International Nights Tickets on Sale
- Tickets for the annual International Nights performances are now on sale! The shows are scheduled for February 6 and 7, 2015. Tickets can be purchased at the Performing Arts Center Box Office, Tuesday-Friday from 9-1. ...
- College Goal 808
- College Goal 808 is designed to help students and their families navigate the student financial aid process. The event offers free assistance in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. ...
- Pre-Valentine Concert with Kris Fuchigami
- Accomplished ʻukulele artist, Kris Fuchigami returns to ‘Imiloa’s Planetarium stage with special guest and award-winning artist, Brittni Paiva. Ticket includes pupus at 5:30 p.m. in Atrium, and concert at 7 p.m. under planetarium stars. ...
- PIPES 2015 Summer Internships - Online apps available!
- If you're a student looking for an exciting summer internship opportunity with agencies and organizations who work in conservation science, natural resource management, and environmental education then check out our PIPES 2015 program. ...
- UH System Common Scholarship Application 2015-2016
- The University of Hawaiʻi System Common Scholarship Application will be available online for the 2015-2016 academic year on December 1, 2014. ...
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2015-2016 and Scholarship
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2015-2016 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2015. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.