Black History Month: The Drizzle, West African Storytelling - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Black History Month: The Drizzle, West African Storytelling
Location: UH Housing: Kehau Turnaround
The Residence Hall Association and Minority Access and Achievement Program proudly presents another cultural DRIZZLE event. This showcase is a modern interpretation of an age old indigenous tradition as it has manifested in parts of Africa. There will also be contemporary storytelling and traditional Hawaiian storytelling.
Come and enjoy, as the storytellers physically animate a parable, myth, or piece of history while accompanied by musicians to accentuate the pace and rhythms of the story. The content of the stories deal with cultural and socio-political concepts that would serve to awaken latent parallels between cultures, particularly the experiences of Africans and Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders. As the oral tradition in itself bridges gaps between many cultures, so do we hope the ideas and circumstances of the stories presented through this program will foster positive cultural exchange and help to benefit solidarity between people within our community.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 9327463
What's also happening?
|February 2014/March 2014|
3p Asthma 101
5:45p Learn to Swing Dance
- International Buddy Program
- Become a buddy for a new international student! We are looking for students, especially students from Hawaii and the US mainland, to volunteer as a buddy for a new international student in the fall. ...
- Epic Origami at 'Imiloa
- 'Imiloa will explore the art and science of origami in its new temporary exhibit, Epic Origami, which will run from July 5 through September 27, 2015. ...
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.