Black History Month: The Drizzle, West African Storytelling - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Black History Month: The Drizzle, West African Storytelling
Location: UH Housing: Kehau Turnaround
The Residence Hall Association and Minority Access and Achievement Program proudly presents another cultural DRIZZLE event. This showcase is a modern interpretation of an age old indigenous tradition as it has manifested in parts of Africa. There will also be contemporary storytelling and traditional Hawaiian storytelling.
Come and enjoy, as the storytellers physically animate a parable, myth, or piece of history while accompanied by musicians to accentuate the pace and rhythms of the story. The content of the stories deal with cultural and socio-political concepts that would serve to awaken latent parallels between cultures, particularly the experiences of Africans and Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders. As the oral tradition in itself bridges gaps between many cultures, so do we hope the ideas and circumstances of the stories presented through this program will foster positive cultural exchange and help to benefit solidarity between people within our community.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 9327463
What's also happening?
|Week of February 23, 2014||Next →|
- Holiday Card Drive with SAC and CCS
- Aloha UH Hilo 'Ohana, The UH Hilo Student Activities Council (SAC) and the Campus and Community Service (CCS) program is asking for donations of unused holiday cards to send to our servicemen and servicewomen in December. ...
- Haumana Hou Lounge
- New Student Programs is happy to announce that the Haumana Hou Lounge is beginning and happening every Tuesday! Stop by the Hale Kehau Lounge every Tuesday starting October 20, 2015 for a relaxing place to study. ...
- Register now for Fall 2015 Commencement
- Eight weeks left to register for Fall 2015 Commencement! Register now to participate in graduation ceremonies! graduation.uhhcc.org/ 2015 Fall Commencement Saturday, December 19, 2015 UH Hilo Vulcan Gymnasium
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
- International Nights: You're Invited to Perform
- The UH Hilo International Student Association invites individuals and groups to perform at International Nights, scheduled for February 19 & 20, 2016. Submit the online application form at go.hawaii.edu/H7. ...
- APIASF Scholarship
- Apply for a scholarship from APIASF (Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Foundation)! Eligibility criteria: Be of Asian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity as defined by the U.S. ...
- UH Hilo Bike Share Program
- The University Concierge by New Student Programs is proud to offer UH Hilo's new Bike Share Program! All current students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to borrow a bicycle to run errands around town. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- UH Hilo welcomes the newest service to support our university and community ‘ohana. Introducing The University Concierge. Located on the first floor of the Student Services Center, The University Concierge is a gateway for campus information. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards Card
- New Student Programs wants to help you succeed! Our Academic Achievement Awards Cards program is a way for you to be rewarded when you do well on a homework assignment, report, tests, and more. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.