Black History Month: The Drizzle, West African Storytelling - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Black History Month: The Drizzle, West African Storytelling
Location: UH Housing: Kehau Turnaround
The Residence Hall Association and Minority Access and Achievement Program proudly presents another cultural DRIZZLE event. This showcase is a modern interpretation of an age old indigenous tradition as it has manifested in parts of Africa. There will also be contemporary storytelling and traditional Hawaiian storytelling.
Come and enjoy, as the storytellers physically animate a parable, myth, or piece of history while accompanied by musicians to accentuate the pace and rhythms of the story. The content of the stories deal with cultural and socio-political concepts that would serve to awaken latent parallels between cultures, particularly the experiences of Africans and Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders. As the oral tradition in itself bridges gaps between many cultures, so do we hope the ideas and circumstances of the stories presented through this program will foster positive cultural exchange and help to benefit solidarity between people within our community.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 9327463
What's also happening?
|Week of February 23, 2014||Next →|
- Anti-Poverty Organizing and Advocacy Fellowship
- RESULTS is an international non-profit based in Washington, DC that advocates for the end of poverty in the US and across the world by promoting access to health, education, and economic opportunity. ...
- Haumana Hou Lounge
- New Student Programs is happy to announce that the Haumana Hou Lounge is happening every Tuesday at a NEW location! Stop by room W201 of the Student Services Building/Center every Tuesday starting January 26, 2016 for a relaxing place to study. ...
- UH Hilo Bike Share Program
- The University Concierge by New Student Programs is proud to offer UH Hilo's new Bike Share Program! All current students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to borrow a bicycle to run errands around town. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- UH Hilo welcomes the newest service to support our university and community ‘ohana. Introducing The University Concierge. Located on the first floor of the Student Services Center, The University Concierge is a gateway for campus information. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards Card
- New Student Programs wants to help you succeed! Our Academic Achievement Awards Cards program is a way for you to be rewarded when you do well on a homework assignment, report, tests, and more. ...
- Drop-In Resumé Critique
- Need advice on how to improve your resumé? Drop in to the Career and Academic Advising Center (Student Services Center, E203) for a resumé critique with Lyssa on Tuesdays, between 1:00-3:30 pm. No appointment necessary.
- Bicycles Wanted!
- The Bike Share Program by New Student Programs (NSP) is in search of bicycles! We gladly accept any bicycle donations throughout the year. ...
- Software Systems for Astronomy July 25-August 5
- Mark your calendar for July 25 - August 5, 2016 (tentatively set) for the second annual Software Systems in Astronomy two week intensive class offered by Professor Albert Conrad. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.