Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival
Location: Hilo Bayfront
Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival is a marine & coastal resources awareness celebration hosted by the University of Hawai'i at Hilo's Office of Research. Free & open to public, the event provides hands-on activities for keiki and their families to learn about and celebrate the importance of protecting our coastal and ocean ecosystems. This annual event features information on marine and coastal research, information on how to get involved with ʻāina and kai stewardship and initiatives, and engaging presentations for community members to reconnect to our island resources.
Each year there are a variety of activities for all to engage in: marine touch tanks, booths with hands-on activities related to resource conservation, and cultural practice all to help us better understand our precious coastal and marine resources. Also expect live music, face painting, ono food, door prizes and much more! Our partners and collaborators help make the event possible. OD presenters include a variety of UH Hilo researchers, programs, clubs and many presenters from natural resource-focused and community organizations. In the past information booths have featured UH Hilo Marine Science and EPSCoR researchers, the Hawaii Division of Aquatic Resources, Marine Mammal Response Network, Hawai‘i Island Hawksbill Monitoring Project, NOAA’s Mokupapapa Discovery Center, The Nature Conservancy Hawaii, Malama ka Aina Hana ka Aina, Keaukaha Community Association, Ke Ana La'ahana, 4-H, Girl Scouts, Keaukaha A+, Pacific Tsunami Museum and many other organizations and community groups involved with protecting Hawaii’s precious natural resources.
The survival of fragile ecosystems and unique biodiversity are dependent on how we interact with our environment and the many decisions we make daily. Come learn about ecological and biological research and management efforts going on across the landscape (from Mauna Kea to the deep blue Pacific Ocean) and ocean.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 808-933-0707
What's also happening?
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
- UH Hilo Upward Bound Employment Opportunity
- TUTORS WANTED! ~College students who are proficient in Mathematics, English/Language Arts, Foreign Language, and/or Science~ Duties: • Drive to assigned local or rural high schools • Provide tutoring and write reports ...
- Board of Student Publications (BOSP) 2014-2015 Applications
- The Board of Student Publications (BOSP) is a Charted UH Hilo Student Organization that oversees the three (3) UH Hilo publications, Ke Kalahea, Hohonu, and Kanilehua and we are filling current vacancies on the Board: If you're interested in ...
- Volunteers wanted for an e-cigarette study
- We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. The purpose is to interview e-cigarette users on reasons for starting, dual use of conventional cigarettes, and opinions on potential legislation. ...
- APIASF Scholarship
- The APIASF General Scholarship is open to Asian American and Pacific Islander students who will be enrolling or are currently enrolled in a U.S. accredited college or university as a degree-seeking undergraduate student in Fall 2015. ...
- International Nights 2015 Seeking Performers
- The UH Hilo International Student Association invites students to perform in International Nights 2015! The shows will be held on February 6 & 7, 2015 at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. ...
- UH Hilo Upward Bound Employment Opportunity
- TUTORS WANTED! ~College students who are proficient in Mathematics, English/Language Arts, Foreign Language, and/or Science~ Duties: • Drive to assigned local or rural high schools • Provide tutoring and write reports documenting ...
- College Goal 808
- College Goal 808 is designed to help students and their families navigate the student financial aid process. The event offers free assistance in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. ...
- UH System Common Scholarship Application 2015-2016
- The University of Hawaii System Common Scholarship Application will be available online for the 2015-2016 academic year on December 1, 2014. ...
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2015-2016 and Scholarship
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2015-2016 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2015. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.