Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival
Location: Hilo Bayfront
Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival is a marine & coastal resources awareness celebration hosted by the University of Hawai'i at Hilo's Office of Research. Free & open to public, the event provides hands-on activities for keiki and their families to learn about and celebrate the importance of protecting our coastal and ocean ecosystems. This annual event features information on marine and coastal research, information on how to get involved with ʻāina and kai stewardship and initiatives, and engaging presentations for community members to reconnect to our island resources.
Each year there are a variety of activities for all to engage in: marine touch tanks, booths with hands-on activities related to resource conservation, and cultural practice all to help us better understand our precious coastal and marine resources. Also expect live music, face painting, ono food, door prizes and much more! Our partners and collaborators help make the event possible. OD presenters include a variety of UH Hilo researchers, programs, clubs and many presenters from natural resource-focused and community organizations. In the past information booths have featured UH Hilo Marine Science and EPSCoR researchers, the Hawaii Division of Aquatic Resources, Marine Mammal Response Network, Hawai‘i Island Hawksbill Monitoring Project, NOAA’s Mokupapapa Discovery Center, The Nature Conservancy Hawaii, Malama ka Aina Hana ka Aina, Keaukaha Community Association, Ke Ana La'ahana, 4-H, Girl Scouts, Keaukaha A+, Pacific Tsunami Museum and many other organizations and community groups involved with protecting Hawaii’s precious natural resources.
The survival of fragile ecosystems and unique biodiversity are dependent on how we interact with our environment and the many decisions we make daily. Come learn about ecological and biological research and management efforts going on across the landscape (from Mauna Kea to the deep blue Pacific Ocean) and ocean.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 808-933-0707
What's also happening?
|Week of March 9, 2014||Next →|
- Join the Student Activities Council!
- The Student Activities Council (SAC) provides programs, activities and services which serve the co-curricular cultural, social, recreational and educational interests of students of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. ...
- NSE Applications for SY2017-18 available now!
- Considering a National Student Exchange? Pick up your application now! Stop by the Student Services Center, Room E-202, or download your application from our website at hilo.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/nse/. ...
- APIASF General Scholarship
- Apply for a scholarship from APIASF (Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Foundation) for the 2017-2018 year! Eligibility criteria: Be of Asian American, Native Hawaiian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity as defined by the U.S. ...
- Study Abroad Application Deadline
- Are you interested in studying abroad for the summer 2017 term or spring 2018 semester? If so, please submit your application and supporting documents to the Center for Global Education and Exchange (CGEE) office by 4:30pm on March 1, 2017. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards Cards
- New Student Programs wants to help you succeed! Our Academic Achievement Awards Cards program is a way for you to be rewarded when you do well on a homework assignments, report, tests, and more. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- The University Concierge is your one-stop-shop for all campus info and hosts UH Hilo’s Bike Share Program and New Student Programs’ Academic Achievement Awards Cards. ...
- UH Hilo Bike Share Program
- The University Concierge by New Student Programs is proud to offer UH Hilo's new Bike Share Program! All current UH Hilo students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to rent a bicycle to use around town. ...
- Students and alums: Set up your online career portfolio now!
- Have you signed up for College Central, UH Hilo's internship and employment placement site? www.collegecentral.com/hilo-hawaii/ Your college degree isn't a golden ticket to a dream job. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.