Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival
Location: Hilo Bayfront
Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival is a marine & coastal resources awareness celebration hosted by the University of Hawai'i at Hilo's Office of Research. Free & open to public, the event provides hands-on activities for keiki and their families to learn about and celebrate the importance of protecting our coastal and ocean ecosystems. This annual event features information on marine and coastal research, information on how to get involved with ʻāina and kai stewardship and initiatives, and engaging presentations for community members to reconnect to our island resources.
Each year there are a variety of activities for all to engage in: marine touch tanks, booths with hands-on activities related to resource conservation, and cultural practice all to help us better understand our precious coastal and marine resources. Also expect live music, face painting, ono food, door prizes and much more! Our partners and collaborators help make the event possible. OD presenters include a variety of UH Hilo researchers, programs, clubs and many presenters from natural resource-focused and community organizations. In the past information booths have featured UH Hilo Marine Science and EPSCoR researchers, the Hawaii Division of Aquatic Resources, Marine Mammal Response Network, Hawai‘i Island Hawksbill Monitoring Project, NOAA’s Mokupapapa Discovery Center, The Nature Conservancy Hawaii, Malama ka Aina Hana ka Aina, Keaukaha Community Association, Ke Ana La'ahana, 4-H, Girl Scouts, Keaukaha A+, Pacific Tsunami Museum and many other organizations and community groups involved with protecting Hawaii’s precious natural resources.
The survival of fragile ecosystems and unique biodiversity are dependent on how we interact with our environment and the many decisions we make daily. Come learn about ecological and biological research and management efforts going on across the landscape (from Mauna Kea to the deep blue Pacific Ocean) and ocean.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 808-933-0707
What's also happening?
|Week of March 9, 2014||Next →|
- Board of Media Broadcasting Open Positions
- The UH Hilo Board of Media Broadcasting has two open positions for the 2017-2018 academic year. These positions will have an open application process until they are filled. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- UH Hilo Mentoring Recognition Award!
- Having a great mentor is critical in student success and we'd like to know who has been your mentor here at UH Hilo. ...
- Campus & Community Service Spring Food Drive
- It’s that time of year again! Campus and Community Service is holding the Annual Spring Food Drive in conjunction with the University of Hawaiʻi State Food Drive. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo’s brand for student retention and graduation. We communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Follow us on social media or regularly check our website (hilo.hawaii. ...
- Spring 2018 Legislative Internships
- Do you love politics? Have you ever wanted to learn firsthand about how laws are made? Internship opportunities in Hawaii State Senator Kai Kahele's Honolulu Office and Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz's Honolulu and Washington DC Offices. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.