Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival
Location: Hilo Bayfront
Ocean Day Mālama Kanaloa Festival is a marine & coastal resources awareness celebration hosted by the University of Hawai'i at Hilo's Office of Research. Free & open to public, the event provides hands-on activities for keiki and their families to learn about and celebrate the importance of protecting our coastal and ocean ecosystems. This annual event features information on marine and coastal research, information on how to get involved with ʻāina and kai stewardship and initiatives, and engaging presentations for community members to reconnect to our island resources.
Each year there are a variety of activities for all to engage in: marine touch tanks, booths with hands-on activities related to resource conservation, and cultural practice all to help us better understand our precious coastal and marine resources. Also expect live music, face painting, ono food, door prizes and much more! Our partners and collaborators help make the event possible. OD presenters include a variety of UH Hilo researchers, programs, clubs and many presenters from natural resource-focused and community organizations. In the past information booths have featured UH Hilo Marine Science and EPSCoR researchers, the Hawaii Division of Aquatic Resources, Marine Mammal Response Network, Hawai‘i Island Hawksbill Monitoring Project, NOAA’s Mokupapapa Discovery Center, The Nature Conservancy Hawaii, Malama ka Aina Hana ka Aina, Keaukaha Community Association, Ke Ana La'ahana, 4-H, Girl Scouts, Keaukaha A+, Pacific Tsunami Museum and many other organizations and community groups involved with protecting Hawaii’s precious natural resources.
The survival of fragile ecosystems and unique biodiversity are dependent on how we interact with our environment and the many decisions we make daily. Come learn about ecological and biological research and management efforts going on across the landscape (from Mauna Kea to the deep blue Pacific Ocean) and ocean.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 808-933-0707
What's also happening?
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
- 19th Annual Make A Difference Day
- Make A Difference Day is an annual event that takes place on Saturday October 25. For this event we will be focusing on projects on UH Hilo's campus. Projects may include, gardening, weeding, general maintenance and campus beautification. ...
- UH Hilo Student Association Tee Shirt Design Contest!
- Enter for a chance to win an iPad mini or an iPod nano! If you are a UH Hilo student with a creative side, submit your own tee shirt design via email by the end of October 31st, 2014. ...
- University Dining Services Survey
- Take the University Dining Services SURVEY and you will be entered to WIN One of Two $150 Gift Cards in Dining Points! Your feedback is important and we want to hear from you! Take the Survey Online at: http://vcil. ...
- Seeking Vendors for the 2015 Hoʻolauleʻa!
- The 2015 Hoʻolauleʻa Committee is seeking vendors for our 20th annual event. The event is on Saturday, January 17, 2015 from 12:00pm to 8:00pm in the Performing Arts Center Parking Lot on UH Hilo campus. ...
- Volunteers wanted for an e-cigarette study
- We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. The purpose is to interview e-cigarette users on reasons for starting, dual use of conventional cigarettes, and opinions on potential legislation. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.