TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
Submarine groundwater discharge (SGD) modifies distributions of phytoplankton and bacteria along the west coast of Hawai`i Island
Jason Adolf, Marine Science, UH Hilo
Groundwater generates a continuum of nutrient-enriched habitats on Hawai`i Island, including fish ponds, lagoons, and brackish coastal surface plumes. We studied the distributions of phytoplankton and bacteria at two sites with high SGD, Kiholo Bay and Kaloko-Honokohau National Historic Park. We hypothesized that the microorganism distributions would reflect inorganic nutrient enrichment, showing elevated biomass and average cell size where SGD influence was present. Phytoplankton biomass was low in the ocean at both sites, but elevated 10 – 100 fold within adjacent fish ponds, with average cell size in ponds larger than in the adjacent ocean. Surface phytoplankton and bacterial distributions differed between the sites, with Kiholo showing low phytoplankton and bacterial abundance near the SGD source, and elevated phytoplankton biomass and average cell size at brackish salinities. Surface phytoplankton and bacterial distribution at Kaloko primarily reflected export from the fish pond. Site-specific characteristics appear to be important modifiers of the responses of microorganisms to nutrients observed at each site. Future research should include consideration of how these responses at the microorganism level impact the broader ecosystem.
For more on the TCBES Graduate Program, visit: tcbes.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com 8089327715
What's also happening?
|Week of December 8, 2013||Next →|
- New Student Programs New Student Survey
- Is this your first year attending UH Hilo as a student? New Student Programs (NSP) puts on many programs, like Haumana Hou Lounge and the Bike Share Program, for new students through the feedback you provide us. ...
- Break Thru Adventures Participant Applications Available
- Break Through Adventures (BTA) participant applications are now open and available for the Spring 2017 trip. ...
- Study Abroad Application Deadline
- Are you interested in studying abroad for the summer 2017 term or spring 2018 semester? If so, please submit your application and supporting documents to the Center for Global Education and Exchange (CGEE) office by 4:30pm on March 1, 2017. ...
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Group
- The ASD Support Group is for students who are members of the Autism Spectrum community. The purpose of the group is for members to get support from others in a safe, semi-structured social setting. Group meets once a week. ...
- The Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Series
- The Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Series continues into this Spring 2017 Semester with a Certificate of Leadership for students who complete and attend 7+ leadership sessions. ...
- LGBTQIA+ Support Group
- LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) Support Group is for UH Hilo students who are questioning or identify as members of the LGBTQIA community. Group meets once a week for 1 hour throughout the semester. ...
- Support Group for Students with Disabilties
- The Support Group for Students with Disabilities is for students with physical, learning, psychiatric, or other disabilities. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards Cards
- New Student Programs wants to help you succeed! Our Academic Achievement Awards Cards program is a way for you to be rewarded when you do well on a homework assignments, report, tests, and more. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- The University Concierge is your one-stop-shop for all campus info and hosts UH Hilo’s Bike Share Program and New Student Programs’ Academic Achievement Awards Cards. ...
- Students and alums: Set up your online career portfolio now!
- Have you signed up for College Central, UH Hilo's internship and employment placement site? www.collegecentral.com/hilo-hawaii/ Your college degree isn't a golden ticket to a dream job. ...
- Volunteers Needed!
- Campus and Community Service(CCS) is a Campus Center program that provides an educational approach to foster civic responsibility and engagement through active participation in organized service that meets community needs. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.