TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
Submarine groundwater discharge (SGD) modifies distributions of phytoplankton and bacteria along the west coast of Hawai`i Island
Jason Adolf, Marine Science, UH Hilo
Groundwater generates a continuum of nutrient-enriched habitats on Hawai`i Island, including fish ponds, lagoons, and brackish coastal surface plumes. We studied the distributions of phytoplankton and bacteria at two sites with high SGD, Kiholo Bay and Kaloko-Honokohau National Historic Park. We hypothesized that the microorganism distributions would reflect inorganic nutrient enrichment, showing elevated biomass and average cell size where SGD influence was present. Phytoplankton biomass was low in the ocean at both sites, but elevated 10 – 100 fold within adjacent fish ponds, with average cell size in ponds larger than in the adjacent ocean. Surface phytoplankton and bacterial distributions differed between the sites, with Kiholo showing low phytoplankton and bacterial abundance near the SGD source, and elevated phytoplankton biomass and average cell size at brackish salinities. Surface phytoplankton and bacterial distribution at Kaloko primarily reflected export from the fish pond. Site-specific characteristics appear to be important modifiers of the responses of microorganisms to nutrients observed at each site. Future research should include consideration of how these responses at the microorganism level impact the broader ecosystem.
For more on the TCBES Graduate Program, visit: tcbes.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com 8089327715
What's also happening?
|Week of December 8, 2013||Next →|
- International Buddy Program
- Become a buddy for a new international student! We are looking for students, especially students from Hawaii and the US mainland, to volunteer as a buddy for a new international student in the fall. ...
- Software Systems for Astronomy July 25-August 5
- Mark your calendar for July 25 - August 5, 2016 (tentatively set) for the second annual Software Systems in Astronomy two week intensive class offered by Professor Albert Conrad. ...
- Students and alums: Set up your online career portfolio now!
- Have you signed up for College Central, UH Hilo's internship and employment placement site? www.collegecentral.com/hilo-hawaii/ Your college degree isn't a golden ticket to a dream job. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.