TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
Submarine groundwater discharge (SGD) modifies distributions of phytoplankton and bacteria along the west coast of Hawai`i Island
Jason Adolf, Marine Science, UH Hilo
Groundwater generates a continuum of nutrient-enriched habitats on Hawai`i Island, including fish ponds, lagoons, and brackish coastal surface plumes. We studied the distributions of phytoplankton and bacteria at two sites with high SGD, Kiholo Bay and Kaloko-Honokohau National Historic Park. We hypothesized that the microorganism distributions would reflect inorganic nutrient enrichment, showing elevated biomass and average cell size where SGD influence was present. Phytoplankton biomass was low in the ocean at both sites, but elevated 10 – 100 fold within adjacent fish ponds, with average cell size in ponds larger than in the adjacent ocean. Surface phytoplankton and bacterial distributions differed between the sites, with Kiholo showing low phytoplankton and bacterial abundance near the SGD source, and elevated phytoplankton biomass and average cell size at brackish salinities. Surface phytoplankton and bacterial distribution at Kaloko primarily reflected export from the fish pond. Site-specific characteristics appear to be important modifiers of the responses of microorganisms to nutrients observed at each site. Future research should include consideration of how these responses at the microorganism level impact the broader ecosystem.
For more on the TCBES Graduate Program, visit: tcbes.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com 8089327715
What's also happening?
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
- Honoring Diversity Workshop
- "Honoring Diversity for a Caring and Inclusive Campus" April 1st. 2015 in Campus Center Rm 301 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM **Continental Breakfast Provided** This workshop promotes an understanding of diversity that creates cultural ...
- Positions Available for Kanilehua Art and Literary Magazine
- We are currently looking for creative and hardworking UH Hilo students to fill the positions at Kanilehua Art and Literary Magazine. ...
- Nominations Being Accepted for Ka Lama Ku Recognition Awards
- Nominations for the Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Recognition Awards Now Being Accepted for 2014/2015 School Year by students, faculty, staff and community members. ...
- Volunteers Wanted for an E-cigarette Study
- Volunteers Wanted for an E-cigarette Study Hello University of Hawaii students, We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. ...
- Note Takers Needed--FALL 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.