TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
Submarine groundwater discharge (SGD) modifies distributions of phytoplankton and bacteria along the west coast of Hawai`i Island
Jason Adolf, Marine Science, UH Hilo
Groundwater generates a continuum of nutrient-enriched habitats on Hawai`i Island, including fish ponds, lagoons, and brackish coastal surface plumes. We studied the distributions of phytoplankton and bacteria at two sites with high SGD, Kiholo Bay and Kaloko-Honokohau National Historic Park. We hypothesized that the microorganism distributions would reflect inorganic nutrient enrichment, showing elevated biomass and average cell size where SGD influence was present. Phytoplankton biomass was low in the ocean at both sites, but elevated 10 – 100 fold within adjacent fish ponds, with average cell size in ponds larger than in the adjacent ocean. Surface phytoplankton and bacterial distributions differed between the sites, with Kiholo showing low phytoplankton and bacterial abundance near the SGD source, and elevated phytoplankton biomass and average cell size at brackish salinities. Surface phytoplankton and bacterial distribution at Kaloko primarily reflected export from the fish pond. Site-specific characteristics appear to be important modifiers of the responses of microorganisms to nutrients observed at each site. Future research should include consideration of how these responses at the microorganism level impact the broader ecosystem.
For more on the TCBES Graduate Program, visit: tcbes.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com 8089327715
What's also happening?
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
- International Buddy Program
- Become a buddy for a new international student! We are looking for students, especially students from Hawaiʻi and the US mainland, to volunteer as a buddy for a new international student in the fall. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Applications
- Are you a US citizen interested in studying abroad while conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2016-2017 academic year. ...
- Epic Origami at ʻImiloa
- ʻImiloa will explore the art and science of origami in its new temporary exhibit, Epic Origami, which will run from July 5 through September 27, 2015. ...
- RISO Orientation and Funding Workshop
- Interested in reapplying as a Registered Independent Student Organization (R.I.S.O.) for the 2015-2016 school year... ...
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship Applications
- UH Hilo students of Asian American and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity who are US citizens, nationals or permanent residents (or citizens of the FSM, Palau or the Marshall Islands) are eligible to apply for the APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship for the ...
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.