TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
Submarine groundwater discharge (SGD) modifies distributions of phytoplankton and bacteria along the west coast of Hawai`i Island
Jason Adolf, Marine Science, UH Hilo
Groundwater generates a continuum of nutrient-enriched habitats on Hawai`i Island, including fish ponds, lagoons, and brackish coastal surface plumes. We studied the distributions of phytoplankton and bacteria at two sites with high SGD, Kiholo Bay and Kaloko-Honokohau National Historic Park. We hypothesized that the microorganism distributions would reflect inorganic nutrient enrichment, showing elevated biomass and average cell size where SGD influence was present. Phytoplankton biomass was low in the ocean at both sites, but elevated 10 – 100 fold within adjacent fish ponds, with average cell size in ponds larger than in the adjacent ocean. Surface phytoplankton and bacterial distributions differed between the sites, with Kiholo showing low phytoplankton and bacterial abundance near the SGD source, and elevated phytoplankton biomass and average cell size at brackish salinities. Surface phytoplankton and bacterial distribution at Kaloko primarily reflected export from the fish pond. Site-specific characteristics appear to be important modifiers of the responses of microorganisms to nutrients observed at each site. Future research should include consideration of how these responses at the microorganism level impact the broader ecosystem.
For more on the TCBES Graduate Program, visit: tcbes.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com 8089327715
What's also happening?
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
- SAC Four Leaf Clover Hunt
- On March 10–14, 2014, you will see Four leaf clovers posted all over the UH Hilo campus. Collect as much as you can and bring them to the Student Activities Council (SAC) Saint Patricks Day event held on March 17th, 2014.
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2014-2015
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2014-2015 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2014. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
- Global Lens Film Series
- The Global Lens film series returns to UH Hilo this spring! The series a critically acclaimed showcase of award-winning, independent narrative features from around the world. ...
- SAC: Plaza Market Monday
- During the Spring semester, UH Hilo's Student Activities Council (SAC) will sponsor Plaza Market Monday every 2nd and 4th Monday from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. ...
- Swing Dance Club
- Swing Dance Club meets Fridays, 5:45-8:00 pm at the Old Gym! Come join us for a night of instruction, fun, free dancing... and swing!