The Spoon River Project - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Spoon River Project
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
In honor of the 75th Anniversary of the Hilo Community Players, the University of Hawai'i at Hilo Performing Arts Department presents The Spoon River Project, a collaboration between UH Hilo and Hawai`i Island's oldest community theatre organization.
The show was adapted into script form by Tom Andolora, a composer and voice teacher in New York City. UH Hilo Professor Jackie Pualani Johnson has welcomed community director Jake McPherson to co-direct the adaptation of Edgar Lee Masters' free-form poems. McPherson served as president of the Players and has appeared as an actor at UH Hilo and in numerous Players' productions.
The play focuses on the departed residents of Spoon River who speak from the grave, examining life and their longing for what might have been. As the post-Civil war community reflects on the dreams, secrets and regrets of their lives, they paint a gritty and honest portrait of the fictional town. Actors include UH Hilo students and veteran community performers: Juli Dobbs, James Elliott, Erin Gallagher, Le`a Gleason, Dick Hershberger, Willyam Hudson, Sharon Justice, Pedro Ka`awaloa, John Marcus Love, Randal McEndree, Catherine McPherson, Lewis Moore, Jin Piper, Brian Wild, Denyse Woo-Ockerman, and Corey Yester. Musical Direction will be by Christopher Tomich, who fulfills his Senior Project for a degree in Performing Arts, Music Concentration.
Special Restrictions: Open Seating tickets are priced at $12 General, $7 Discount & $5 UH Students with valid ID and Children 17 & under.
For more information, contact: 932-7490
What's also happening?
3:30p Epilepsy Awareness Talk
6:30p The FLOW
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
- International Buddy Program
- Become a buddy for a new international student! We are looking for students, especially students from Hawaiʻi and the US mainland, to volunteer as a buddy for a new international student in the fall. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Applications
- Are you a US citizen interested in studying abroad while conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2016-2017 academic year. ...
- Epic Origami at ʻImiloa
- ʻImiloa will explore the art and science of origami in its new temporary exhibit, Epic Origami, which will run from July 5 through September 27, 2015. ...
- RISO Orientation and Funding Workshop
- Interested in reapplying as a Registered Independent Student Organization (R.I.S.O.) for the 2015-2016 school year... ...
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship Applications
- UH Hilo students of Asian American and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity who are US citizens, nationals or permanent residents (or citizens of the FSM, Palau or the Marshall Islands) are eligible to apply for the APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship for the ...
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.