The Spoon River Project - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
The Spoon River Project
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
In honor of the 75th Anniversary of the Hilo Community Players, the University of Hawai'i at Hilo Performing Arts Department presents The Spoon River Project, a collaboration between UH Hilo and Hawai`i Island's oldest community theatre organization.
The show was adapted into script form by Tom Andolora, a composer and voice teacher in New York City. UH Hilo Professor Jackie Pualani Johnson has welcomed community director Jake McPherson to co-direct the adaptation of Edgar Lee Masters' free-form poems. McPherson served as president of the Players and has appeared as an actor at UH Hilo and in numerous Players' productions.
The play focuses on the departed residents of Spoon River who speak from the grave, examining life and their longing for what might have been. As the post-Civil war community reflects on the dreams, secrets and regrets of their lives, they paint a gritty and honest portrait of the fictional town. Actors include UH Hilo students and veteran community performers: Juli Dobbs, James Elliott, Erin Gallagher, Le`a Gleason, Dick Hershberger, Willyam Hudson, Sharon Justice, Pedro Ka`awaloa, John Marcus Love, Randal McEndree, Catherine McPherson, Lewis Moore, Jin Piper, Brian Wild, Denyse Woo-Ockerman, and Corey Yester. Musical Direction will be by Christopher Tomich, who fulfills his Senior Project for a degree in Performing Arts, Music Concentration.
Special Restrictions: Open Seating tickets are priced at $12 General, $7 Discount & $5 UH Students with valid ID and Children 17 & under.
For more information, contact: 932-7490
What's also happening?
3:30p Epilepsy Awareness Talk
6:30p The FLOW
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
- International Nights Tickets on Sale
- Tickets for the annual International Nights performances are now on sale! The shows are scheduled for February 6 and 7, 2015. Tickets can be purchased at the Performing Arts Center Box Office, Tuesday-Friday from 9-1. ...
- College Goal 808
- College Goal 808 is designed to help students and their families navigate the student financial aid process. The event offers free assistance in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. ...
- Pre-Valentine Concert with Kris Fuchigami
- Accomplished ʻukulele artist, Kris Fuchigami returns to ‘Imiloa’s Planetarium stage with special guest and award-winning artist, Brittni Paiva. Ticket includes pupus at 5:30 p.m. in Atrium, and concert at 7 p.m. under planetarium stars. ...
- PIPES 2015 Summer Internships - Online apps available!
- If you're a student looking for an exciting summer internship opportunity with agencies and organizations who work in conservation science, natural resource management, and environmental education then check out our PIPES 2015 program. ...
- UH System Common Scholarship Application 2015-2016
- The University of Hawaiʻi System Common Scholarship Application will be available online for the 2015-2016 academic year on December 1, 2014. ...
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2015-2016 and Scholarship
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2015-2016 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2015. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.