TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
From national policies to local playgrounds: navigating scales of contamination in post-disaster Fukushima
Dr. Sasha Davis
Geography and Environmental Science, UH Hilo
The March 11, 2011 Tōhoku earthquake, and the subsequent tsunami and release of nuclear contamination from the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, is clearly one of the largest disasters of the past century, and it has left large portions of the region physically devastated. Based on research I conducted in Fukushima during the summer of 2013 this presentation will examine the highly variable spatial distributions of radioactive contamination in Fukushima, the coping mechanisms of people navigating these landscapes of contamination, and state policies developed to deal with the disaster. I will aim to show that both the physical and social effects of the disaster are still heavily affecting the region today. Furthermore, in agreement with many other researchers and commentators, I will argue that there has been an incredible discrepancy between state policies and the needs of people affected by the disaster.
Special Restrictions: All are welcome!
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 8089327715
What's also happening?
3:30p Epilepsy Awareness Talk
6:30p The FLOW
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
- UH System Common Scholarship Application 2015-2016
- The University of Hawaiʻi System Common Scholarship Application will be available online for the 2015-2016 academic year on December 1, 2014. ...
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2015-2016 and Scholarship
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2015-2016 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2015. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
- Volunteers Wanted for an E-cigarette Study
- Hello University of Hawaii students, We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. ...
- Positions Available for Kanilehua Art and Literary Magazine
- We are currently looking for creative and hardworking UH Hilo students to fill the positions at Kanilehua Art and Literary Magazine. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.