TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
From national policies to local playgrounds: navigating scales of contamination in post-disaster Fukushima
Dr. Sasha Davis
Geography and Environmental Science, UH Hilo
The March 11, 2011 Tōhoku earthquake, and the subsequent tsunami and release of nuclear contamination from the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, is clearly one of the largest disasters of the past century, and it has left large portions of the region physically devastated. Based on research I conducted in Fukushima during the summer of 2013 this presentation will examine the highly variable spatial distributions of radioactive contamination in Fukushima, the coping mechanisms of people navigating these landscapes of contamination, and state policies developed to deal with the disaster. I will aim to show that both the physical and social effects of the disaster are still heavily affecting the region today. Furthermore, in agreement with many other researchers and commentators, I will argue that there has been an incredible discrepancy between state policies and the needs of people affected by the disaster.
Special Restrictions: All are welcome!
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 8089327715
What's also happening?
3:30p Epilepsy Awareness Talk
6:30p The FLOW
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
- Volunteers Wanted for an E-cigarette Study
- Volunteers Wanted for an E-cigarette Study Hello University of Hawaii students, We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. ...
- Note taker needed for Spring 2015
- Aloha! Disabilities Services is in need of a note taker for an upper level ANTH class. Please keep in mind that you need to be in the same major or minor field, currently in the class, or have taken it before and passed with a “B” or better. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards
- The Academic Achievement Awards card is an exclusive ticket to receive rewards and recognition for all the hard work you put into your education. ...
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.