TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
From national policies to local playgrounds: navigating scales of contamination in post-disaster Fukushima
Dr. Sasha Davis
Geography and Environmental Science, UH Hilo
The March 11, 2011 Tōhoku earthquake, and the subsequent tsunami and release of nuclear contamination from the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, is clearly one of the largest disasters of the past century, and it has left large portions of the region physically devastated. Based on research I conducted in Fukushima during the summer of 2013 this presentation will examine the highly variable spatial distributions of radioactive contamination in Fukushima, the coping mechanisms of people navigating these landscapes of contamination, and state policies developed to deal with the disaster. I will aim to show that both the physical and social effects of the disaster are still heavily affecting the region today. Furthermore, in agreement with many other researchers and commentators, I will argue that there has been an incredible discrepancy between state policies and the needs of people affected by the disaster.
Special Restrictions: All are welcome!
For more information, contact: email@example.com 8089327715
What's also happening?
|Week of November 3, 2013||Next →|
- APIASF General Scholarship
- Apply for the APIASF General Scholarship for the 2018-2019 school year! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $20,000 awards. ...
- 2018-19 FAFSA Available Now
- Effective October 1, 2017, students can complete their 2018-19 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2018. ...
- Summer 2018 and Spring 2019 Study Abroad Application Due
- If you are considering studying abroad for Summer 2018 or Spring 2019, you need to submit your application by March 1, 2018. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- 2018-19 UH System Common Scholarship Application
- The 2018-19 UH System Common Scholarship Application opened November 1, 2017. Go online to complete your application today and apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2018. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
- Spring 2018 Legislative Internships
- Do you love politics? Have you ever wanted to learn firsthand about how laws are made? Internship opportunities in Hawaii State Senator Kai Kahele's Honolulu Office and Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz's Honolulu and Washington DC Offices. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.