TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
From national policies to local playgrounds: navigating scales of contamination in post-disaster Fukushima
Dr. Sasha Davis
Geography and Environmental Science, UH Hilo
The March 11, 2011 Tōhoku earthquake, and the subsequent tsunami and release of nuclear contamination from the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, is clearly one of the largest disasters of the past century, and it has left large portions of the region physically devastated. Based on research I conducted in Fukushima during the summer of 2013 this presentation will examine the highly variable spatial distributions of radioactive contamination in Fukushima, the coping mechanisms of people navigating these landscapes of contamination, and state policies developed to deal with the disaster. I will aim to show that both the physical and social effects of the disaster are still heavily affecting the region today. Furthermore, in agreement with many other researchers and commentators, I will argue that there has been an incredible discrepancy between state policies and the needs of people affected by the disaster.
Special Restrictions: All are welcome!
For more information, contact: email@example.com 8089327715
What's also happening?
|Week of November 3, 2013||Next →|
- New IDs and Validations
- Special hours for new IDs and validations for current IDs for Aug 22, 2016 to Sept 3, 2016 are: Mon-Wed-Fri from 10a to 4p Tues-Thurs from 9:00a to 4p Saturday from 9am - noon Must bring government issued photo ID. ...
- Research internships for students DEADLINE SEPTEMBER 16
- Interested in combining data analytics with natural resource management? UH Hilo is pleased to offer paid ($300.00 monthly) internships to undergraduates with interests in issues related to water and data analytics. ...
- Volunteers Needed!
- Campus and Community Service (CCS), a Campus Center program, is looking for volunteers who would like to help with various events and activities throughout the 2016-2017 academic year. ...
- Study Abroad Fall 2017 Application Deadline
- If you are considering studying abroad for Fall 2017 or academic year ('17-'18) you need to submit your application by October 1, 2016. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Software Systems for Astronomy July 25-August 5
- Mark your calendar for July 25 - August 5, 2016 (tentatively set) for the second annual Software Systems in Astronomy two week intensive class offered by Professor Albert Conrad. ...
- Students and alums: Set up your online career portfolio now!
- Have you signed up for College Central, UH Hilo's internship and employment placement site? www.collegecentral.com/hilo-hawaii/ Your college degree isn't a golden ticket to a dream job. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.