TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
Toward metapopulation ecology of coral-reef fishes
Dr. Mark Hixon
Department of Biology
A marine metapopulation is a collection of spatially isolated local populations of adult organisms connected by larval dispersal. Therefore, a metapopulation is the fundamental unit for managing marine fisheries (traditionally called a "stock") and conserving threatened marine species. Although marine ecologists have the ability to determine important interactions that drive and regulate the dynamics of local populations, integrating this knowledge with patterns of larval connectivity (spawning within one local population seeding another with larvae) and self-recruitment (self-seeding) at the scale of the entire metapopulation has only recently become possible due to breakthroughs in population genetics. The integration of ecological and genetic methods promise to provide holistic understanding of what determines patterns of abundance in marine species.
For more on the TCBES Graduate Program, visit: tcbes.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 9333153
What's also happening?
|October 2013/November 2013|
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
6:30p SAC Zombie Bash
- International Buddy Program
- Become a buddy for a new international student! We are looking for students, especially students from Hawaiʻi and the US mainland, to volunteer as a buddy for a new international student in the fall. ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Applications
- Are you a US citizen interested in studying abroad while conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2016-2017 academic year. ...
- Epic Origami at ʻImiloa
- ʻImiloa will explore the art and science of origami in its new temporary exhibit, Epic Origami, which will run from July 5 through September 27, 2015. ...
- RISO Orientation and Funding Workshop
- Interested in reapplying as a Registered Independent Student Organization (R.I.S.O.) for the 2015-2016 school year... ...
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship Applications
- UH Hilo students of Asian American and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity who are US citizens, nationals or permanent residents (or citizens of the FSM, Palau or the Marshall Islands) are eligible to apply for the APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship for the ...
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.