TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
Toward metapopulation ecology of coral-reef fishes
Dr. Mark Hixon
Department of Biology
A marine metapopulation is a collection of spatially isolated local populations of adult organisms connected by larval dispersal. Therefore, a metapopulation is the fundamental unit for managing marine fisheries (traditionally called a "stock") and conserving threatened marine species. Although marine ecologists have the ability to determine important interactions that drive and regulate the dynamics of local populations, integrating this knowledge with patterns of larval connectivity (spawning within one local population seeding another with larvae) and self-recruitment (self-seeding) at the scale of the entire metapopulation has only recently become possible due to breakthroughs in population genetics. The integration of ecological and genetic methods promise to provide holistic understanding of what determines patterns of abundance in marine species.
For more on the TCBES Graduate Program, visit: tcbes.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com 9333153
What's also happening?
|October 2013/November 2013|
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
6:30p SAC Zombie Bash
- Honoring Diversity Workshop
- "Honoring Diversity for a Caring and Inclusive Campus" April 1st. 2015 in Campus Center Rm 301 8:00 AM to 12:30 PM **Continental Breakfast Provided** This workshop promotes an understanding of diversity that creates cultural ...
- Positions Available for Kanilehua Art and Literary Magazine
- We are currently looking for creative and hardworking UH Hilo students to fill the positions at Kanilehua Art and Literary Magazine. ...
- Nominations Being Accepted for Ka Lama Ku Recognition Awards
- Nominations for the Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Recognition Awards Now Being Accepted for 2014/2015 School Year by students, faculty, staff and community members. ...
- Volunteers Wanted for an E-cigarette Study
- Volunteers Wanted for an E-cigarette Study Hello University of Hawaii students, We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. ...
- Note Takers Needed--FALL 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.