TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
Toward metapopulation ecology of coral-reef fishes
Dr. Mark Hixon
Department of Biology
A marine metapopulation is a collection of spatially isolated local populations of adult organisms connected by larval dispersal. Therefore, a metapopulation is the fundamental unit for managing marine fisheries (traditionally called a "stock") and conserving threatened marine species. Although marine ecologists have the ability to determine important interactions that drive and regulate the dynamics of local populations, integrating this knowledge with patterns of larval connectivity (spawning within one local population seeding another with larvae) and self-recruitment (self-seeding) at the scale of the entire metapopulation has only recently become possible due to breakthroughs in population genetics. The integration of ecological and genetic methods promise to provide holistic understanding of what determines patterns of abundance in marine species.
For more on the TCBES Graduate Program, visit: tcbes.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com 9333153
What's also happening?
|Week of October 27, 2013||Next →|
- Graduate Students: Writing a Winning Grant
- Dr. Rebecca Ostertag will present ideas on writing grants to help with your graduate research activities. Suitable for graduate students as well as potential graduate students. October 26, Waiʻōlino (CoBE) 212, 4:00.
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship
- Apply for the APIASF AANAPISI scholarship from APIASF (Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Foundation) for Spring 2017! Eligibility criteria: Be of Asian American or Pacific Islander ethnicity as defined by the U.S. ...
- Take a survey, help out UH Hilo, enter to win a great prize
- Your chance to participate in the 2016 National Internship & Co-op Study The purpose of this survey is to gain an understanding of your expectations when participating in an internship or co-op program. ...
- Respectful Relationships Group
- Respectful Relationships is a support group for women who want to strengthen themselves and build connections with others after the experience of trauma or abuse that may have occurred either recently or in the past. ...
- Non-traditional Student Support Group
- This group is for students who are over the age of 25 and may be juggling one or more of the following roles in addition to being a student: parent, spouse, caregiver, bread winner, head of household, community member, and more. ...
- The Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Series
- The Campus Center Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Program introduces the Student Leadership Series with a Certificate of Leadership for students who complete and attend 7+ leadership sessions. ...
- Weekly Store Shuttles provided by New Student Programs
- Did you know? New Student Programs provides a weekly Store Shuttle Service for students! This semester's shuttles will run Fridays from 5:00-8:00PM and Saturdays from 1:00-4:00PM with service to the Target/Safeway shopping complex. ...
- Fostering Support Group
- A group for UH Hilo students who have spent any part of their upbringing in foster care. The purpose of the group is for members to get support from others in a safe, confidential setting. Please see flyer. ...
- Software Systems for Astronomy July 25-August 5
- Mark your calendar for July 25 - August 5, 2016 (tentatively set) for the second annual Software Systems in Astronomy two week intensive class offered by Professor Albert Conrad. ...
- Join the Student Activities Council!
- The Student Activities Council (SAC) provides programs, activities and services which serve the co-curricular cultural, social, recreational and educational interests of students of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo. ...
- APIASF General Scholarship
- Apply for a scholarship from APIASF (Asian and Pacific Islander American Scholarship Foundation) for the 2017-2018 year! Eligibility criteria: Be of Asian American, Native Hawaiian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity as defined by the U.S. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards Cards
- New Student Programs wants to help you succeed! Our Academic Achievement Awards Cards program is a way for you to be rewarded when you do well on a homework assignments, report, tests, and more. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- The University Concierge is your one-stop-shop for all campus info and hosts UH Hilo’s Bike Share Program and New Student Programs’ Academic Achievement Awards Cards. ...
- UH Hilo Bike Share Program
- The University Concierge by New Student Programs is proud to offer UH Hilo's new Bike Share Program! All current UH Hilo students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to rent a bicycle to use around town. ...
- Students and alums: Set up your online career portfolio now!
- Have you signed up for College Central, UH Hilo's internship and employment placement site? www.collegecentral.com/hilo-hawaii/ Your college degree isn't a golden ticket to a dream job. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.