TCBES M.S. Program Seminar - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
TCBES M.S. Program Seminar
Location: Wentworth 9
Toward metapopulation ecology of coral-reef fishes
Dr. Mark Hixon
Department of Biology
A marine metapopulation is a collection of spatially isolated local populations of adult organisms connected by larval dispersal. Therefore, a metapopulation is the fundamental unit for managing marine fisheries (traditionally called a "stock") and conserving threatened marine species. Although marine ecologists have the ability to determine important interactions that drive and regulate the dynamics of local populations, integrating this knowledge with patterns of larval connectivity (spawning within one local population seeding another with larvae) and self-recruitment (self-seeding) at the scale of the entire metapopulation has only recently become possible due to breakthroughs in population genetics. The integration of ecological and genetic methods promise to provide holistic understanding of what determines patterns of abundance in marine species.
For more on the TCBES Graduate Program, visit: tcbes.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 9333153
What's also happening?
|October 2013/November 2013|
5:45p Swing Dance Practice
6:30p SAC Zombie Bash
- SAC Four Leaf Clover Hunt
- On March 10–14, 2014, you will see Four leaf clovers posted all over the UH Hilo campus. Collect as much as you can and bring them to the Student Activities Council (SAC) Saint Patricks Day event held on March 17th, 2014.
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2014-2015
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2014-2015 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2014. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
- Global Lens Film Series
- The Global Lens film series returns to UH Hilo this spring! The series a critically acclaimed showcase of award-winning, independent narrative features from around the world. ...
- SAC: Plaza Market Monday
- During the Spring semester, UH Hilo's Student Activities Council (SAC) will sponsor Plaza Market Monday every 2nd and 4th Monday from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. ...
- Swing Dance Club
- Swing Dance Club meets Fridays, 5:45-8:00 pm at the Old Gym! Come join us for a night of instruction, fun, free dancing... and swing!