Clarence Waipa Memorial Scholarship Concert - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Clarence Waipa Memorial Scholarship Concert
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
A number of well-known island musical organizations will come together to perform at the Clarence Waipa Memorial Scholarship Concert on Sunday, May 5 at 2 p.m. in the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Performing Arts Center (PAC). The concert will feature music Waipa arranged or performed with numerous choral organizations during his lifetime.
Herbert Mahelona, music director at Kamehameha High School, Kea’au, and Michael Springer, UH Hilo graduate and a protégé of Waipa, have prepared special musical arrangements of repertoire taken from classical music, Hawaiian standards, and tunes that were standard fare for Waipa’s singers.
An orchestra of local musicians has been formed for the concert, with vocalists from the University Chorus and the UH Hilo Kapili Choir, under the direction of Amy Horst, and the Kamehameha High School chorus, directed by Mahelona. The Kamehameha Alumni Choir, also under Mahelona’s leadership, opened its doors to singers from St. Joseph High, Sing Out Hilo, and the Seventh Day Adventist Choir to round out the ensemble numbers on the program.
Waipa, who passed away in 2011, hailed from Keaukaha, and graduated from California State University in Los Angeles. He returned to Hilo in 1967 to teach music, art, theatre and Hawaiian history at St. Joseph High for over 30 years. During his lifetime, he trained many of the musicians who are working in choral music on the island of Hawai’i. The concert was created to ensure other generations would be enriched by Waipa’s musical legacy.
All tickets are open seating, priced at $12 General, $10 Senior, and $7 UH Hilo/HawCC faculty, staff, alumni, students, and children 17 and under. Tickets are available at the PAC Box Office, Tuesday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. or by calling 974-7310.
All proceeds from the concert will go toward Performing Arts scholarships at UH Hilo. Those wishing to make donations to the scholarship fund can do so by contributing to the UH Foundation, Performing Arts Center Scholarship Fund. For more information, contact Jackie Pualani Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Restrictions: Admission Required. Open Seating. TIckets are $12 General, $10 Senior, $7 UHH/HCC Faculty, Staff, Alumni & Students & Children 17 & Under
For more information, contact: email@example.com
What's also happening?
12p Free HIV Testing
- International Nights Tickets on Sale
- Tickets for the annual International Nights performances are now on sale! The shows are scheduled for February 6 and 7, 2015. Tickets can be purchased at the Performing Arts Center Box Office, Tuesday-Friday from 9-1. ...
- College Goal 808
- College Goal 808 is designed to help students and their families navigate the student financial aid process. The event offers free assistance in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. ...
- WANNA GET PUBLISHED? Hohonu is accepting submissions!
- Have you ever heard of the saying “you cannot be published unless you’re published?” This saying is very true. Hohonu is an academic journal here at UH Hilo seeking students who want to get their research and academic essays published. ...
- Hohonu Cover Art Design Contest
- Hohonu, UH Hilo’s academic journal is seeking for potential cover art pieces for our 2013-2014 AND 2014-2015 publications! 1st prize winner will be awarded a Wacon Intuos Professional Pen and Touch – Medium (one of the best graphics pads ...
- Pre-Valentine Concert with Kris Fuchigami
- Accomplished ʻukulele artist, Kris Fuchigami returns to ‘Imiloa’s Planetarium stage with special guest and award-winning artist, Brittni Paiva. Ticket includes pupus at 5:30 p.m. in Atrium, and concert at 7 p.m. under planetarium stars. ...
- PIPES 2015 Summer Internships - Online apps available!
- If you're a student looking for an exciting summer internship opportunity with agencies and organizations who work in conservation science, natural resource management, and environmental education then check out our PIPES 2015 program. ...
- UH System Common Scholarship Application 2015-2016
- The University of Hawaiʻi System Common Scholarship Application will be available online for the 2015-2016 academic year on December 1, 2014. ...
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2015-2016 and Scholarship
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2015-2016 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2015. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.