Clarence Waipa Memorial Scholarship Concert - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Clarence Waipa Memorial Scholarship Concert
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
A number of well-known island musical organizations will come together to perform at the Clarence Waipa Memorial Scholarship Concert on Sunday, May 5 at 2 p.m. in the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo Performing Arts Center (PAC). The concert will feature music Waipa arranged or performed with numerous choral organizations during his lifetime.
Herbert Mahelona, music director at Kamehameha High School, Kea’au, and Michael Springer, UH Hilo graduate and a protégé of Waipa, have prepared special musical arrangements of repertoire taken from classical music, Hawaiian standards, and tunes that were standard fare for Waipa’s singers.
An orchestra of local musicians has been formed for the concert, with vocalists from the University Chorus and the UH Hilo Kapili Choir, under the direction of Amy Horst, and the Kamehameha High School chorus, directed by Mahelona. The Kamehameha Alumni Choir, also under Mahelona’s leadership, opened its doors to singers from St. Joseph High, Sing Out Hilo, and the Seventh Day Adventist Choir to round out the ensemble numbers on the program.
Waipa, who passed away in 2011, hailed from Keaukaha, and graduated from California State University in Los Angeles. He returned to Hilo in 1967 to teach music, art, theatre and Hawaiian history at St. Joseph High for over 30 years. During his lifetime, he trained many of the musicians who are working in choral music on the island of Hawai’i. The concert was created to ensure other generations would be enriched by Waipa’s musical legacy.
All tickets are open seating, priced at $12 General, $10 Senior, and $7 UH Hilo/HawCC faculty, staff, alumni, students, and children 17 and under. Tickets are available at the PAC Box Office, Tuesday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. or by calling 974-7310.
All proceeds from the concert will go toward Performing Arts scholarships at UH Hilo. Those wishing to make donations to the scholarship fund can do so by contributing to the UH Foundation, Performing Arts Center Scholarship Fund. For more information, contact Jackie Pualani Johnson at email@example.com.
Special Restrictions: Admission Required. Open Seating. TIckets are $12 General, $10 Senior, $7 UHH/HCC Faculty, Staff, Alumni & Students & Children 17 & Under
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
What's also happening?
|Week of May 5, 2013||Next →|
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship
- APIASF AANAPISI Scholarship Apply for the APIASF AANAPISI scholarship! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $5,000 awards. ...
- UH Hilo New Student Survey by NSP
- Aloha to all our newest Vulcans! Each year, the New Student Programs (NSP) office seeks feedback from the students to better its events and services. ...
- Critical Language Scholarship Available
- The Summer 2018 Critical Language Scholarship application is now available. Spend eight to ten weeks abroad during the summer learning Azerbaijani, Bangla, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Punjabi, Swahili, Turkish, Urdu, Arabic, Persian, Chinese, ...
- LGBTQIA Student Support Group
- LGBTQIA Student Support Group LGBTQIA Student Support Group LGBTQIA (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) Support Group is for UH Hilo students who are questioning or identify as members of the LGBTQIA community. ...
- ASD Student Support Group
- ASD Student Support Group The ASD Support Group is for students who are part of the Autism Spectrum community. The purpose of the group is for members to get support from others in a safe, confidential setting. ...
- Fall 2017 Support Groups
- Counseling Services Present: Fall 2017 Counseling & Support Groups All UH Hilo students are welcome! There is no charge for our services. All services respect your privacy and confidentiality. ...
- Support for Students with Disabilities Group
- The Support Group for Students with Disabilities is for students with physical, learning, psychiatric or other disabilities. ...
- Women's Support Group
- The UH Hilo Counseling Center Women's Support Group, is for female students that are seeking to provide and receive support from other like-minded women, please join us for a time of healing, sharing and empowerment. ...
- New to UH Hilo Support Group
- Transitioning to Campus Life can be difficult. Students new to the University of Hawaii at Hilo are invited to join us for a time to connect, share and get support in your new journey. ...
- The Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Series
- The Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Program at Campus Center introduces the Student Leadership Series with a Certificate of Leadership for UH Hilo students who complete and attend 7+ leadership trainings. ...
- APIASF General Scholarship
- Apply for the APIASF General Scholarship for the 2018-2019 school year! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $20,000 awards. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.