4th Annual Slam Against Violence - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
4th Annual Slam Against Violence
Location: Campus Center 301
CALLING SLAM POETS!
April is National Poetry Month and Sexual Assault Awareness Month – celebrate both by joining us for an evening of inspiration & entertainment as we seek to end violence against women through creative expression & financial support for the YWCA of Hawai'i Island Sexual Assault Support Services.
A Poetry Slam is a fun and competitive poetry event where poets are awarded prizes based on audience support for their performance. For the Slam Against Violence, we will be mixing it up a bit, so please read below for the basic rules:
Bring a poem (or a story or song, but no instruments please) that helps make the world safer for women. Perhaps it honors an important woman in your life, exposes the tragedy of sexual assault, or celebrates the wisdom & contributions of women in our local or global community. It can be your own work, or that of another poet or artist. You’ll have 3 minutes to perform the poem on stage (memorization is great, but not required).
In exchange for a donation of any amount, audience members will have the opportunity to honor the performers by giving lei to the poets of their choice. The poets with the most lei at the end of the night will win prizes. So, bring poetry to share and cash to support YWCA of Hawai'i Island Sexual Assault Support Services. And be prepared to have a great time with your Hawai’i Island ‘ohana in a creative, supportive and inspiring atmosphere!
For more information, contact: email@example.com 974-7312
What's also happening?
5:30p RHA 2nd Annual Luau
- Advising for Spring 2015
- In preparation for spring 2015 course registration, be sure to meet with your assigned advisor between November 19-26. You can find your advisor in MyUH and in STAR. ...
- Seeking Vendors for the 2015 Hoʻolauleʻa!
- The 2015 Hoʻolauleʻa Committee is seeking vendors for our 20th annual event. The event is on Saturday, January 17, 2015 from 12:00pm to 8:00pm in the Performing Arts Center Parking Lot on UH Hilo campus. ...
- UH Hilo Upward Bound Employment Opportunity
- TUTORS WANTED! ~College students who are proficient in Mathematics, English/Language Arts, Foreign Language, and/or Science~ Duties: • Drive to assigned local or rural high schools • Provide tutoring and write reports ...
- Board of Student Publications (BOSP) 2014-2015 Applications
- The Board of Student Publications (BOSP) is a Charted UH Hilo Student Organization that oversees the three (3) UH Hilo publications, Ke Kalahea, Hohonu, and Kanilehua and we are filling current vacancies on the Board: If you're interested in ...
- Volunteers wanted for an e-cigarette study
- We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. The purpose is to interview e-cigarette users on reasons for starting, dual use of conventional cigarettes, and opinions on potential legislation. ...
- APIASF Scholarship
- The APIASF General Scholarship is open to Asian American and Pacific Islander students who will be enrolling or are currently enrolled in a U.S. accredited college or university as a degree-seeking undergraduate student in Fall 2015. ...
- International Nights 2015 Seeking Performers
- The UH Hilo International Student Association invites students to perform in International Nights 2015! The shows will be held on February 6 & 7, 2015 at the UH Hilo Performing Arts Center. ...
- UH Hilo Upward Bound Employment Opportunity
- TUTORS WANTED! ~College students who are proficient in Mathematics, English/Language Arts, Foreign Language, and/or Science~ Duties: • Drive to assigned local or rural high schools • Provide tutoring and write reports documenting ...
- College Goal 808
- College Goal 808 is designed to help students and their families navigate the student financial aid process. The event offers free assistance in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. ...
- UH System Common Scholarship Application 2015-2016
- The University of Hawaii System Common Scholarship Application will be available online for the 2015-2016 academic year on December 1, 2014. ...
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2015-2016 and Scholarship
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2015-2016 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2015. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.