4th Annual Slam Against Violence - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
4th Annual Slam Against Violence
Location: Campus Center 301
CALLING SLAM POETS!
April is National Poetry Month and Sexual Assault Awareness Month – celebrate both by joining us for an evening of inspiration & entertainment as we seek to end violence against women through creative expression & financial support for the YWCA of Hawai'i Island Sexual Assault Support Services.
A Poetry Slam is a fun and competitive poetry event where poets are awarded prizes based on audience support for their performance. For the Slam Against Violence, we will be mixing it up a bit, so please read below for the basic rules:
Bring a poem (or a story or song, but no instruments please) that helps make the world safer for women. Perhaps it honors an important woman in your life, exposes the tragedy of sexual assault, or celebrates the wisdom & contributions of women in our local or global community. It can be your own work, or that of another poet or artist. You’ll have 3 minutes to perform the poem on stage (memorization is great, but not required).
In exchange for a donation of any amount, audience members will have the opportunity to honor the performers by giving lei to the poets of their choice. The poets with the most lei at the end of the night will win prizes. So, bring poetry to share and cash to support YWCA of Hawai'i Island Sexual Assault Support Services. And be prepared to have a great time with your Hawai’i Island ‘ohana in a creative, supportive and inspiring atmosphere!
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 974-7312
What's also happening?
|Week of April 14, 2013||Next →|
- Board of Media Broadcasting Open Positions
- The UH Hilo Board of Media Broadcasting has two open positions for the 2017-2018 academic year. These positions will have an open application process until they are filled. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- UH Hilo Mentoring Recognition Award!
- Having a great mentor is critical in student success and we'd like to know who has been your mentor here at UH Hilo. ...
- Campus & Community Service Spring Food Drive
- It’s that time of year again! Campus and Community Service is holding the Annual Spring Food Drive in conjunction with the University of Hawaiʻi State Food Drive. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo’s brand for student retention and graduation. We communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Follow us on social media or regularly check our website (hilo.hawaii. ...
- Spring 2018 Legislative Internships
- Do you love politics? Have you ever wanted to learn firsthand about how laws are made? Internship opportunities in Hawaii State Senator Kai Kahele's Honolulu Office and Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz's Honolulu and Washington DC Offices. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.