4th Annual Slam Against Violence - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
4th Annual Slam Against Violence
Location: Campus Center 301
CALLING SLAM POETS!
April is National Poetry Month and Sexual Assault Awareness Month – celebrate both by joining us for an evening of inspiration & entertainment as we seek to end violence against women through creative expression & financial support for the YWCA of Hawai'i Island Sexual Assault Support Services.
A Poetry Slam is a fun and competitive poetry event where poets are awarded prizes based on audience support for their performance. For the Slam Against Violence, we will be mixing it up a bit, so please read below for the basic rules:
Bring a poem (or a story or song, but no instruments please) that helps make the world safer for women. Perhaps it honors an important woman in your life, exposes the tragedy of sexual assault, or celebrates the wisdom & contributions of women in our local or global community. It can be your own work, or that of another poet or artist. You’ll have 3 minutes to perform the poem on stage (memorization is great, but not required).
In exchange for a donation of any amount, audience members will have the opportunity to honor the performers by giving lei to the poets of their choice. The poets with the most lei at the end of the night will win prizes. So, bring poetry to share and cash to support YWCA of Hawai'i Island Sexual Assault Support Services. And be prepared to have a great time with your Hawai’i Island ‘ohana in a creative, supportive and inspiring atmosphere!
For more information, contact: email@example.com 974-7312
What's also happening?
|Week of April 14, 2013||Next →|
- RISO Registration Form now Available
- Attention UH Hilo Students: The CCS office is now accepting RISO registration forms for the 2016-2017 school year. For more information or to view the application and requirements please visit the RISO webpage: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Career Connections
- The Career and Academic Advising Center is hosting a series of information sessions called Career Connections this spring semester. These sessions will feature businesses and employers and allow students to interact in a more intimate setting. ...
- 2017 UH Hilo Annual Spring Food Drive
- The UH Hilo 2017 Annual Spring Food Drive is done in culmination with the State Food Drive. Please help us end hunger in Hawai`i. All of your donations, food or monetary, will stay right here to help Big Island residents. In 2016 alone 1. ...
- Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Recognition Awards Ceremony
- Join us as we celebrate and recognize our UH Hilo student leaders at the Ka Lama Ku Student Leadership Recognition Awards Ceremony on Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at the Campus Center Dining Hall from 6:30 PM-8:30 PM. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards Cards
- New Student Programs wants to help you succeed! Our Academic Achievement Awards Cards program is a way for you to be rewarded when you do well on a homework assignments, report, tests, and more. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- The University Concierge is your one-stop-shop for all campus info and hosts UH Hilo’s Bike Share Program and New Student Programs’ Academic Achievement Awards Cards. ...
- Students and alums: Set up your online career portfolio now!
- Have you signed up for College Central, UH Hilo's internship and employment placement site? www.collegecentral.com/hilo-hawaii/ Your college degree isn't a golden ticket to a dream job. ...
- Volunteers Needed!
- Campus and Community Service(CCS) is a Campus Center program that provides an educational approach to foster civic responsibility and engagement through active participation in organized service that meets community needs. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.