4th Annual Slam Against Violence - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
4th Annual Slam Against Violence
Location: Campus Center 301
CALLING SLAM POETS!
April is National Poetry Month and Sexual Assault Awareness Month – celebrate both by joining us for an evening of inspiration & entertainment as we seek to end violence against women through creative expression & financial support for the YWCA of Hawai'i Island Sexual Assault Support Services.
A Poetry Slam is a fun and competitive poetry event where poets are awarded prizes based on audience support for their performance. For the Slam Against Violence, we will be mixing it up a bit, so please read below for the basic rules:
Bring a poem (or a story or song, but no instruments please) that helps make the world safer for women. Perhaps it honors an important woman in your life, exposes the tragedy of sexual assault, or celebrates the wisdom & contributions of women in our local or global community. It can be your own work, or that of another poet or artist. You’ll have 3 minutes to perform the poem on stage (memorization is great, but not required).
In exchange for a donation of any amount, audience members will have the opportunity to honor the performers by giving lei to the poets of their choice. The poets with the most lei at the end of the night will win prizes. So, bring poetry to share and cash to support YWCA of Hawai'i Island Sexual Assault Support Services. And be prepared to have a great time with your Hawai’i Island ‘ohana in a creative, supportive and inspiring atmosphere!
For more information, contact: email@example.com 974-7312
What's also happening?
5:30p RHA 2nd Annual Luau
- UH System Common Scholarship Application 2015-2016
- The University of Hawaiʻi System Common Scholarship Application will be available online for the 2015-2016 academic year on December 1, 2014. ...
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2015-2016 and Scholarship
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2015-2016 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2015. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
- Volunteers Wanted for an E-cigarette Study
- Hello University of Hawaii students, We are seeking volunteers for a research study regarding e-cigarette usage patterns. ...
- Positions Available for Kanilehua Art and Literary Magazine
- We are currently looking for creative and hardworking UH Hilo students to fill the positions at Kanilehua Art and Literary Magazine. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.