M.S Thesis Defense: Chris Todd - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
M.S Thesis Defense: Chris Todd
Location: Wentworth 14
Title: Effects of prey abundance on seasonal movements of the Hawaiian Hoary Bat (Lasiurus cinereus semotus)
This study investigated how biotic and abiotic factors affect seasonal altitudinal movements of Hawaiian hoary bats (Lasiurus cinereus semotus) in eastern Hawaiʻi. I used an information-theoretic approach to evaluate if bat activity was associated with aerial insect abundance, temperature, rainfall, or reproductive season. Available insect taxa decreased with elevation, with Lepidoptera most abundant at middle and high elevations. Lepidoptera was consumed significantly more than any other insect taxa at low elevations (P < 0.03), and Coleoptera significantly more at middle elevations (P < 0.02). Insect taxa found in the diet of bats was proportional to their availability at low elevations (P = 0.9) and disproportional (favoring Coleoptera) to their availability at middle elevations (P < 0.001), suggesting that bats opportunistically forage at low elevations and selectively forage at middle elevations. Models indicate that temperature, rainfall, insect abundance and reproductive season are important for bat abundance at all sites (P = 0.05). Abundance of Diptera best predicted bat activity at low elevations (P = 0.02) and abundance of Hemiptera best predicted bat activity at middle elevations, but this was only marginally significant (P = 0.08). No significant correlation between insect taxa and bat activity was found at high elevations.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 3-0791
What's also happening?
|Week of November 18, 2012||Next →|
Holiday observed: Thanksgiving Day
- International Buddy Program
- Become a buddy for a new international student! We are looking for students, especially students from Hawaii and the US mainland, to volunteer as a buddy for a new international student in the fall. ...
- Software Systems for Astronomy July 25-August 5
- Mark your calendar for July 25 - August 5, 2016 (tentatively set) for the second annual Software Systems in Astronomy two week intensive class offered by Professor Albert Conrad. ...
- Students and alums: Set up your online career portfolio now!
- Have you signed up for College Central, UH Hilo's internship and employment placement site? www.collegecentral.com/hilo-hawaii/ Your college degree isn't a golden ticket to a dream job. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.