M.S Thesis Defense: Chris Todd - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
M.S Thesis Defense: Chris Todd
Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 10am to 11am
@ Wentworth 14
Title: Effects of prey abundance on seasonal movements of the Hawaiian Hoary Bat (Lasiurus cinereus semotus)
This study investigated how biotic and abiotic factors affect seasonal altitudinal movements of Hawaiian hoary bats (Lasiurus cinereus semotus) in eastern Hawaiʻi. I used an information-theoretic approach to evaluate if bat activity was associated with aerial insect abundance, temperature, rainfall, or reproductive season. Available insect taxa decreased with elevation, with Lepidoptera most abundant at middle and high elevations. Lepidoptera was consumed significantly more than any other insect taxa at low elevations (P < 0.03), and Coleoptera significantly more at middle elevations (P < 0.02). Insect taxa found in the diet of bats was proportional to their availability at low elevations (P = 0.9) and disproportional (favoring Coleoptera) to their availability at middle elevations (P < 0.001), suggesting that bats opportunistically forage at low elevations and selectively forage at middle elevations. Models indicate that temperature, rainfall, insect abundance and reproductive season are important for bat abundance at all sites (P = 0.05). Abundance of Diptera best predicted bat activity at low elevations (P = 0.02) and abundance of Hemiptera best predicted bat activity at middle elevations, but this was only marginally significant (P = 0.08). No significant correlation between insect taxa and bat activity was found at high elevations.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 3-0791
What's also happening?
4:30p Free Yoga
Holiday observed: Thanksgiving Day
- International Nights 2014
- Groups and individuals who wish to perform at this year's International Nights are invited to submit a Participation Form. The form is online at hilo.hawaii.edu/studentaffairs/international/IN.php . Deadline is December 1, 2013. ...
- Ho‘olaule‘a Volunteers Needed!
- Aloha all! The 2014 Ho‘olaule‘a is coming up quickly! And we will need all the volunteers we can get! Ho‘olaule‘a will be on January 18, 2014 from 12pm – 9:30pm in the lower parking lot behind the theater. ...
- College Goal 808
- College Goal 808 is designed to help students and their families navigate the student financial aid process. The event offers free assistance in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. ...
- Hohonu Positions Available
- Hohonu, the UH Hilo student academic journal is looking to fill staff positions for the 2013-2014 school year. If you are want to join the Hohonu Team, you can find the application on hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/hohonu/ or in Campus Center 210.
- Kanilehua Positions Available!
- Kanilehua is UH Hilo's student art & literary magazine. We publish creative fiction, non-fiction, poetry, visual, and multi-media arts to showcase the talent of UH Hilo students. ...
- University of Hawaii System Common Scholarship Application
- UH Hilo students are able to apply for both University of Hawaii System scholarships as well as UH Hilo scholarships on ONE application. The University of Hawaii System Common Scholarship Application will be available beginning December 1, 2013. ...
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2014-2015
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2014-2015 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2014. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...