M.S Thesis Defense: Chris Todd - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
M.S Thesis Defense: Chris Todd
Location: Wentworth 14
Title: Effects of prey abundance on seasonal movements of the Hawaiian Hoary Bat (Lasiurus cinereus semotus)
This study investigated how biotic and abiotic factors affect seasonal altitudinal movements of Hawaiian hoary bats (Lasiurus cinereus semotus) in eastern Hawaiʻi. I used an information-theoretic approach to evaluate if bat activity was associated with aerial insect abundance, temperature, rainfall, or reproductive season. Available insect taxa decreased with elevation, with Lepidoptera most abundant at middle and high elevations. Lepidoptera was consumed significantly more than any other insect taxa at low elevations (P < 0.03), and Coleoptera significantly more at middle elevations (P < 0.02). Insect taxa found in the diet of bats was proportional to their availability at low elevations (P = 0.9) and disproportional (favoring Coleoptera) to their availability at middle elevations (P < 0.001), suggesting that bats opportunistically forage at low elevations and selectively forage at middle elevations. Models indicate that temperature, rainfall, insect abundance and reproductive season are important for bat abundance at all sites (P = 0.05). Abundance of Diptera best predicted bat activity at low elevations (P = 0.02) and abundance of Hemiptera best predicted bat activity at middle elevations, but this was only marginally significant (P = 0.08). No significant correlation between insect taxa and bat activity was found at high elevations.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 3-0791
What's also happening?
|Week of November 18, 2012||Next →|
Holiday observed: Thanksgiving Day
- Holiday Card Drive with SAC and CCS
- Aloha UH Hilo 'Ohana, The UH Hilo Student Activities Council (SAC) and the Campus and Community Service (CCS) program is asking for donations of unused holiday cards to send to our servicemen and servicewomen in December. ...
- Haumana Hou Lounge
- New Student Programs is happy to announce that the Haumana Hou Lounge is beginning and happening every Tuesday! Stop by the Hale Kehau Lounge every Tuesday starting October 20, 2015 for a relaxing place to study. ...
- Register now for Fall 2015 Commencement
- Eight weeks left to register for Fall 2015 Commencement! Register now to participate in graduation ceremonies! graduation.uhhcc.org/ 2015 Fall Commencement Saturday, December 19, 2015 UH Hilo Vulcan Gymnasium
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
- International Nights: You're Invited to Perform
- The UH Hilo International Student Association invites individuals and groups to perform at International Nights, scheduled for February 19 & 20, 2016. Submit the online application form at go.hawaii.edu/H7. ...
- APIASF Scholarship
- Apply for a scholarship from APIASF (Asian & Pacific Islander American Scholarship Foundation)! Eligibility criteria: Be of Asian and/or Pacific Islander ethnicity as defined by the U.S. ...
- UH Hilo Bike Share Program
- The University Concierge by New Student Programs is proud to offer UH Hilo's new Bike Share Program! All current students, faculty, and staff have the opportunity to borrow a bicycle to run errands around town. ...
- The University Concierge is Open!
- UH Hilo welcomes the newest service to support our university and community ‘ohana. Introducing The University Concierge. Located on the first floor of the Student Services Center, The University Concierge is a gateway for campus information. ...
- Academic Achievement Awards Card
- New Student Programs wants to help you succeed! Our Academic Achievement Awards Cards program is a way for you to be rewarded when you do well on a homework assignment, report, tests, and more. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.