Eia Hawaiʻi - Kuaihelani - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi - Kuaihelani
Location: Campus Center 301
"Kuaihelani: Cultural Reclamation of Midway Atoll" is third in the 2012-2013 Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series and features Aulani Wilhelm (NOAA), Dr. Kalani Makekau-Whittaker (UH Mānoa), and Hawane Rios.
Although a part of the Hawaiian Archipelago, Midway Atoll has long been disconnected from Hawaiʻi in the psyche of most people. Its Hawaiian cultural history and significance has been forgotten along with its traditional name.
In 2011, a group of Hawaiian language scholars embarked on a journey to recover some of the cultural history of Midway, beginning with its name. A critical part of this process was a trip to Midway to connect the archival research to observations and experiences on the atoll and to re-connect that ʻāina to our culture through language and ceremony.
This presentation will share the process and outcomes of this unique project developed through a partnership between Kīpuka Native Hawaiian Student Center (UH Hilo), Ka Haka ʻUla o Keʻelikōlani (UH Hilo) and National Oceanic Atmospheric Association (NOAA).
For more information, contact: email@example.com x30897
What's also happening?
|Week of November 11, 2012||Next →|
Holiday observed: Veterans’ Day
- Pride Hilo Club looking for members
- Are you interested in creating an inclusive community that focuses on educating the general public about LGBTQ+ issues? What about forming a safe network for LGBTQ+ and ally students alike? If you would like to be part of representing the LGBTQ+ ...
- The English Club is searching for new members
- Do you love poetry? Maybe you're an aspiring novelist? Or maybe you haven't touched a book in three semesters? The English Club is open to all students, faculty, staff, and community members, who are interested in seeing how the written word - ...
- The Board of Student Publications wants you!
- Are you looking for a rich leadership opportunity where you can connect with students, faculty, and staff at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, while developing professional skills? If so, then the UH Hilo Board of Student Publications is ...
- US Fulbright Student Scholarship Application for 2019-2020
- Are you a US citizen interested in studying abroad while conducting research overseas? Have you ever thought of teaching English abroad? Well, consider applying for the US Fulbright Student program for the 2019-2020 academic year. ...
- Study Abroad Applications due October 1st
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2019 or the academic year (2019-2020) you need to submit your application by October 1, 2018. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Spring 2018 Legislative Internships
- Do you love politics? Have you ever wanted to learn firsthand about how laws are made? Internship opportunities in Hawaiʻi State Senator Kai Kahele's Honolulu Office and Hawaiʻi Senator Brian Schatz's Honolulu and Washington DC Offices. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.