Eia Hawaiʻi - Kuaihelani - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaiʻi - Kuaihelani
Location: Campus Center 301
"Kuaihelani: Cultural Reclamation of Midway Atoll" is third in the 2012-2013 Eia Hawaiʻi Lecture Series and features Aulani Wilhelm (NOAA), Dr. Kalani Makekau-Whittaker (UH Mānoa), and Hawane Rios.
Although a part of the Hawaiian Archipelago, Midway Atoll has long been disconnected from Hawaiʻi in the psyche of most people. Its Hawaiian cultural history and significance has been forgotten along with its traditional name.
In 2011, a group of Hawaiian language scholars embarked on a journey to recover some of the cultural history of Midway, beginning with its name. A critical part of this process was a trip to Midway to connect the archival research to observations and experiences on the atoll and to re-connect that ʻāina to our culture through language and ceremony.
This presentation will share the process and outcomes of this unique project developed through a partnership between Kīpuka Native Hawaiian Student Center (UH Hilo), Ka Haka ʻUla o Keʻelikōlani (UH Hilo) and National Oceanic Atmospheric Association (NOAA).
For more information, contact: email@example.com x30897
What's also happening?
Holiday observed: Veterans' Day
6a Free Yoga
4:30p Free Yoga
7:30p On Ensemble
- International Buddy Program
- Become a buddy for a new international student! We are looking for students, especially students from Hawaii and the US mainland, to volunteer as a buddy for a new international student in the fall. ...
- Epic Origami at 'Imiloa
- 'Imiloa will explore the art and science of origami in its new temporary exhibit, Epic Origami, which will run from July 5 through September 27, 2015. ...
- Note takers needed for Fall 2015
- UH Hilo Disability Services is in need of qualified note takers for Fall 2015. Pay rate is $9.55 per hour, flexible scheduling based on course availability. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.