Eia Hawaii: Redefining the Kaluulu - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaii: Redefining the Kaluulu
Location: Campus Center 301
Redefining the Kaluulu: Past, Present and Future is the first of the 2012-2013 Eia Hawaii Lecture Series and features Noa Kekuewa Lincoln.
The kaluulu, a large breadfruit grove of old Kona, was a huge source of food, even during years of drought. Many famous and powerful chiefs, such as a Liloa, Umi, and Kalaniopuu and even Kamehameha I utilized Kona as the political and military center of old Hawaii. That the kaluulu cut across political boundaries and encompasses thousands of individual family plots, tells of a chief's power to mobilize efforts across the Kona region.
Noa Kekuewa Lincoln will present his research that has examined the extent and production of the kaluulu in pre-European Hawaii and also discusses contemporary projects aimed at revitalizing breadfruit as a healthy, sustainable food in the modern context.
For more information, contact: email@example.com 808-933-0897
What's also happening?
3:30p Writing for Kani Lehua
3:30p Writing for Kanilehua
- SAC Four Leaf Clover Hunt
- On March 10–14, 2014, you will see Four leaf clovers posted all over the UH Hilo campus. Collect as much as you can and bring them to the Student Activities Council (SAC) Saint Patricks Day event held on March 17th, 2014.
- Free Application for Financial Aid 2014-2015
- To be considered for financial aid for the 2014-2015 academic year, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The website will become available on January 1, 2014. The address is www.fafsa.gov. ...
- Global Lens Film Series
- The Global Lens film series returns to UH Hilo this spring! The series a critically acclaimed showcase of award-winning, independent narrative features from around the world. ...
- SAC: Plaza Market Monday
- During the Spring semester, UH Hilo's Student Activities Council (SAC) will sponsor Plaza Market Monday every 2nd and 4th Monday from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm. ...
- Swing Dance Club
- Swing Dance Club meets Fridays, 5:45-8:00 pm at the Old Gym! Come join us for a night of instruction, fun, free dancing... and swing!