Eia Hawaii: Redefining the Kaluulu - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Eia Hawaii: Redefining the Kaluulu
Location: Campus Center 301
Redefining the Kaluulu: Past, Present and Future is the first of the 2012-2013 Eia Hawaii Lecture Series and features Noa Kekuewa Lincoln.
The kaluulu, a large breadfruit grove of old Kona, was a huge source of food, even during years of drought. Many famous and powerful chiefs, such as a Liloa, Umi, and Kalaniopuu and even Kamehameha I utilized Kona as the political and military center of old Hawaii. That the kaluulu cut across political boundaries and encompasses thousands of individual family plots, tells of a chief's power to mobilize efforts across the Kona region.
Noa Kekuewa Lincoln will present his research that has examined the extent and production of the kaluulu in pre-European Hawaii and also discusses contemporary projects aimed at revitalizing breadfruit as a healthy, sustainable food in the modern context.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 808-933-0897
What's also happening?
|Week of September 23, 2012||Next →|
- APIASF General Scholarship
- Apply for the APIASF General Scholarship for the 2018-2019 school year! Scholarship awards range from one-time $2,500 awards to multi-year $20,000 awards. ...
- 2018-19 FAFSA Available Now
- Effective October 1, 2017, students can complete their 2018-19 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2018. ...
- Summer 2018 and Spring 2019 Study Abroad Application Due
- If you are considering studying abroad for Summer 2018 or Spring 2019, you need to submit your application by March 1, 2018. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- 2018-19 UH System Common Scholarship Application
- The 2018-19 UH System Common Scholarship Application opened November 1, 2017. Go online to complete your application today and apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2018. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
- Spring 2018 Legislative Internships
- Do you love politics? Have you ever wanted to learn firsthand about how laws are made? Internship opportunities in Hawaii State Senator Kai Kahele's Honolulu Office and Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz's Honolulu and Washington DC Offices. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.