Fights and Delights: Three Chinese Comedies - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Fights and Delights: Three Chinese Comedies
Location: Performing Arts Center
Acrobatic Contortions, Mistaken Identities, Adorable Lovers, Exhilarating Battles... Traditional Chinese Theatre Performed In English! Fun for all ages!
The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa’s Department of Theatre + Dance proudly presents Fights & Delights: Three Chinese/Xiqu Comedies, co-directed by Elizabeth Wichmann-Walczak and Mark Branner. Highlighting the vibrancy of traditional Chinese theatre, the three plays celebrate the chou, or comic character, who continually reveals the laughter in life. The shows will be performed in English at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo Performing Arts Center and Kahilu Theatre.
Four master artists from China have been in residence with the UHM Department of Theatre + Dance since August 2017, teaching xiqu voice and movement as well as training the actors in their roles. Mr. Lu Genzhang, who performs laosheng (older male) roles, is a National Actor of the First (highest possible) Rank and an Emeritus Leading Actor with the Jiangsu Province Jingju Company. This will be Lu’s seventh residency at UHM training students to perform in Jingju plays. He teaches acting, movement, and voice for all of the male-voice roles in “Treasure in the Chest” and “Where Three Roads Meet.” Mr. Xu Mingchi, who performs chou roles, is a National Actor of the First Rank and a Leading Actor with the Chuanju Company. This year marks his first teaching residency at UHM; he teaches acting, movement, and voice for all of the roles in “Pi Jin Rolls the Lamp.” Ms. Zhang Ling, who performs dan (young female) roles, is a National Actor of the First Rank and an Emeritus Leading Actor with the Jiangsu Province Jingju Company. This is Ms. Zhang’s fourth residency training UHM students; she teaches acting, movement, and voice for all of the female-voice roles in “Treasure in the Chest” and “Where Three Roads Meet.” Mr. Zhang Xigui, a conductor and percussionist who is also proficient on a wide range of string and wind instruments, is a National Instrumentalist of the Second (second highest possible) Rank and an Emeritus Leading Instrumentalist with the Jiangsu Province Jingju Company. This is Mr. Zhang’s fourth residency instructing UHM students; he teaches technique and interpretation for all the musical instruments (melodic and percussive) for all three plays.
The three Chinese comedies featured in Fights & Delights are: the chuanju; “Pi Jin Rolls the Lamp,” and the two jingju; “Treasure in the Chest” and “Where Three Roads Meet.” “Treasure in the Chest” tells the story of a young woman who hides a young scholar in her family’s chest to protect him from two officers hot on his trail while her family is out trying to arrange a marriage for her. “Pi Jin Rolls the Lamp” recounts the tale of a wife punishing her husband for his gambling problem by making him perform spectacular acrobatics while balancing a candle on his head. “Where Three Roads Meet” relates a story about the famous Chinese general, Jiao Zan, as he escapes capture by two officers at an inn where mistaken identities lead to a virtuoso fight in the dark between an inn keeper and a young warrior trying to protect Jiao Zan.
Special Restrictions: SUGGESTED DONATION:
Cash donations will be accepted one hour prior to the performance at each location.
For disability accommodations or large group requests please contact Melisa at (808) 956-2591 or email@example.com at least 10 working days prior to the event.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (808) 956-2591
What's also happening?
|Week of February 25, 2018||Next →|
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- All those INTERESTED in getting INVOLVED! Relay For Life is recruiting committee members! Relay For Life is the only all night event on campus during the Spring semester. ...
- Go Global: Aotearoa Summer 2019
- Kia Ora! Immerse yourself in Maori culture, practices and history while living and engaging with the local Maori community in North Island, New Zealand (Aotearoa). ...
- Go Global: India (भारत) Summer 2019
- Spend three weeks in India exploring and learning about the history and culture of the country with History Professor Michael Skinner while earning three upper division credits. ...
- 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2018. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2019. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.