Fights and Delights: Three Chinese Comedies - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Fights and Delights: Three Chinese Comedies
Location: Performing Arts Center
Acrobatic Contortions, Mistaken Identities, Adorable Lovers, Exhilarating Battles... Traditional Chinese Theatre Performed In English! Fun for all ages!
The University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa’s Department of Theatre + Dance proudly presents Fights & Delights: Three Chinese/Xiqu Comedies, co-directed by Elizabeth Wichmann-Walczak and Mark Branner. Highlighting the vibrancy of traditional Chinese theatre, the three plays celebrate the chou, or comic character, who continually reveals the laughter in life. The shows will be performed in English at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo Performing Arts Center and Kahilu Theatre.
Four master artists from China have been in residence with the UHM Department of Theatre + Dance since August 2017, teaching xiqu voice and movement as well as training the actors in their roles. Mr. Lu Genzhang, who performs laosheng (older male) roles, is a National Actor of the First (highest possible) Rank and an Emeritus Leading Actor with the Jiangsu Province Jingju Company. This will be Lu’s seventh residency at UHM training students to perform in Jingju plays. He teaches acting, movement, and voice for all of the male-voice roles in “Treasure in the Chest” and “Where Three Roads Meet.” Mr. Xu Mingchi, who performs chou roles, is a National Actor of the First Rank and a Leading Actor with the Chuanju Company. This year marks his first teaching residency at UHM; he teaches acting, movement, and voice for all of the roles in “Pi Jin Rolls the Lamp.” Ms. Zhang Ling, who performs dan (young female) roles, is a National Actor of the First Rank and an Emeritus Leading Actor with the Jiangsu Province Jingju Company. This is Ms. Zhang’s fourth residency training UHM students; she teaches acting, movement, and voice for all of the female-voice roles in “Treasure in the Chest” and “Where Three Roads Meet.” Mr. Zhang Xigui, a conductor and percussionist who is also proficient on a wide range of string and wind instruments, is a National Instrumentalist of the Second (second highest possible) Rank and an Emeritus Leading Instrumentalist with the Jiangsu Province Jingju Company. This is Mr. Zhang’s fourth residency instructing UHM students; he teaches technique and interpretation for all the musical instruments (melodic and percussive) for all three plays.
The three Chinese comedies featured in Fights & Delights are: the chuanju; “Pi Jin Rolls the Lamp,” and the two jingju; “Treasure in the Chest” and “Where Three Roads Meet.” “Treasure in the Chest” tells the story of a young woman who hides a young scholar in her family’s chest to protect him from two officers hot on his trail while her family is out trying to arrange a marriage for her. “Pi Jin Rolls the Lamp” recounts the tale of a wife punishing her husband for his gambling problem by making him perform spectacular acrobatics while balancing a candle on his head. “Where Three Roads Meet” relates a story about the famous Chinese general, Jiao Zan, as he escapes capture by two officers at an inn where mistaken identities lead to a virtuoso fight in the dark between an inn keeper and a young warrior trying to protect Jiao Zan.
Special Restrictions: SUGGESTED DONATION:
Cash donations will be accepted one hour prior to the performance at each location.
For disability accommodations or large group requests please contact Melisa at (808) 956-2591 or firstname.lastname@example.org at least 10 working days prior to the event.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 956-2591
What's also happening?
|Week of February 25, 2018||Next →|
- Freshmen 'Eleu (Mandatory Advising)
- Freshmen, your advisor will be sending you an email to set up an appointment to meet with him or her. Please check your email!
- Study Abroad Applications due October 1st
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2019 or the 2019-20 academic year, you need to submit your application by October 1, 2018. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Vulcan Video Productions ( VVP) is looking for new members!
- Aloha! Vulcan Video Productions (VVP) is looking for new members for the 2018-19 academic year. If you have some media based background, the following positions are available: Promotions Manager, Technology Manager, and Productions Manager. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Leader Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a Leader remember that the deadline to apply is October 5, 2018. ...
- Hilo Vet Center @ Campus Center for Outreach Services
- Maricar S. Souza, Veteran Outreach Specialist, from the Hilo Vet Center will be located at the Campus Center Plaza for Fall 2018 from 9 am - 2 pm on the following dates: October 9 October 30 November 13 November 27 December 4 You may ...
- Students of Hawaii Advanced Research Project (SHARP)
- Interested in biomedical or biobehavioral research? Join our Students of Hawai‘i Advanced Research Project team. Go to www.uhhilo-SHARP.org to discover how to get paid while learning.
- 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit
- Hawaii Community College and the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo will host the 4th Annual Domestic Violence Summit with college students as the focus. The summit is on Friday, October 19, 2018 at ʻImiloa Astronomy Center from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. ...
- Pre-Law Club is looking for new members
- Awesome and active club for future attorneys or law officers. Contact club President Harley Broyles at firstname.lastname@example.org to join or for more information.
- Fill out a sustainability survey, win $50
- Aloha, Come fill out a short survey on sustainability and enter a drawing for $50. The survey is for research being done at UH Hilo in cooperation with Appalachian State University. ...
- Love Yourself: Body Wellness and ED Support Group
- Counseling Services is hosting a support group for students with body image concerns called "Love Yourself: Body Wellness and Eating Disorders. ...
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. For the registration pack and information regard UH Hilo clubs please visit our website. hilo.hawaii. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.