Recreational Paddling, Section 3 - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Recreational Paddling, Section 3
Location: Hilo Bay Front
Learn the fundamentals of outrigger canoe paddling with Rosa Motta. Students will receive a basic orientation to proper paddling form and technique, complete safety assessments, learn the importance of teamwork, and build strength, stamina and rhythm. Proper care and handling of paddles and canoes are also integral parts of this class. Participants will be lifting and carrying canoes in and out of the water, and completing basic maintenance and care as part of the class. Please be prepared to share, encourage and support each other in this fun and challenging learning experience.
All levels of paddlers are welcome.
The UH Hilo Canoe Club Halau is located at Hilo Bayfront, next to the Puna Canoe Club. The canoes are red and white, and there is a red picnic table in front of the halau. There is ample parking available.
There is an outdoor shower and restroom on site. Note that class is dependent on water and weather conditions. Last minute cancellations may occur. Makeup classes are scheduled if possible.
September 7 - November 30, 2017, Thursdays
Instructor: Rosa Motta
Rosa Motta began paddling at 12 years old and is the current President of the UH Hilo Canoe Club. She also trains competitively with the Puna Canoe Club. Rosa brings her passion for Hawaiian culture to her classes, and strives to enhance understanding and appreciation of waʻa (canoe) culture, while sharing history of our beautiful Hilo Bay.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $120
Recommended: Comfortable, water-appropriate clothing and footwear (water shoes), sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, towel, and water to drink.
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
|Week of September 3, 2017||Next →|
Holiday observed: Labor Day
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- All those INTERESTED in getting INVOLVED! Relay For Life is recruiting committee members! Relay For Life is the only all night event on campus during the Spring semester. ...
- Go Global: Aotearoa Summer 2019
- Kia Ora! Immerse yourself in Maori culture, practices and history while living and engaging with the local Maori community in North Island, New Zealand (Aotearoa). ...
- Go Global: India (भारत) Summer 2019
- Spend three weeks in India exploring and learning about the history and culture of the country with History Professor Michael Skinner while earning three upper division credits. ...
- 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship App Available October 1st
- The 2019-20 UH Common Scholarship Application will be available online as of October 1, 2018. Complete the application to apply for over 100 different scholarships available to students attending UH Hilo in Fall 2019. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo Registered Independent Student Organization (RISO) registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.