Recreational Paddling, Section 2 - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Recreational Paddling, Section 2
Location: Hilo Bay Front
Learn the fundamentals of outrigger canoe paddling with Rosa Motta. Students will receive a basic orientation to proper paddling form and technique, complete safety assessments, learn the importance of teamwork, and build strength, stamina and rhythm. Proper care and handling of paddles and canoes are also integral parts of this class. Participants will be lifting and carrying canoes in and out of the water, and completing basic maintenance and care as part of the class. Please be prepared to share, encourage and support each other in this fun and challenging learning experience.
All levels of paddlers are welcome.
The UH Hilo Canoe Club Halau is located at Hilo Bayfront, next to the Puna Canoe Club. The canoes are red and white, and there is a red picnic table in front of the halau. There is ample parking available.
There is an outdoor shower and restroom on site. Note that class is dependent on water and weather conditions. Last minute cancellations may occur. Makeup classes are scheduled if possible.
September 6 - November 22, 2017, Wednesdays
Instructor: Rosa Motta
Rosa Motta began paddling at 12 years old and is the current President of the UH Hilo Canoe Club. She also trains competitively with the Puna Canoe Club. Rosa brings her passion for Hawaiian culture to her classes, and strives to enhance understanding and appreciation of waʻa (canoe) culture, while sharing history of our beautiful Hilo Bay.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $120
Recommended: Comfortable, water-appropriate clothing and footwear (water shoes), sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, towel, and water to drink.
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
|Week of September 3, 2017||Next →|
Holiday observed: Labor Day
- Board of Media Broadcasting Open Positions
- The UH Hilo Board of Media Broadcasting has two open positions for the 2017-2018 academic year. These positions will have an open application process until they are filled. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2017-2018 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 20, 2018. Due to the transfer of the UH Hilo website to a new program we have lost the ability to edit our website. ...
- UH Hilo Mentoring Recognition Award!
- Having a great mentor is critical in student success and we'd like to know who has been your mentor here at UH Hilo. ...
- Free HIV and Hepatits C Testing
- Free HIV & Hepatitis C Testing Conducted by Hawaiʻi Island HIV/AIDS Foundation. Tesiting is Anonymous, Safe & Fast!
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo’s brand for student retention and graduation. We communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Follow us on social media or regularly check our website (hilo.hawaii. ...
- Spring 2018 Legislative Internships
- Do you love politics? Have you ever wanted to learn firsthand about how laws are made? Internship opportunities in Hawaii State Senator Kai Kahele's Honolulu Office and Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz's Honolulu and Washington DC Offices. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.