Japanese Taiko Drumming - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Japanese Taiko Drumming
Location: Old Gym
Learn about the art and spirit of taiko drumming from one of Hilo's best: Chad Nakagawa, current leader of Taishoji Taiko. Taiko drumming is both art and physical exercise. Be prepared for improving your fitness and coordination while learning about the culture, protocols, rhythm and technique. Two compositions will be taught in this session.
Required materials are provided.
September 11 - November 20, 2017, Mondays
Instructor: Chad Nakagawa
Chad Nakagawa is the Artistic Director of Taishoji Taiko, a local group in Hilo, Hawaii that was formed in the 1980s. With over 20 years of taiko experience, Chad has learned under the direction of Taiko masters such as Kenny Endo of the Kenny Endo Taiko Ensemble, Marco Lienhard of Taikoza, Yoshikazu Fujimoto of Kodo, Seichi Tanaka of San Francisco Taiko Dojo, and many others.
Special Restrictions: Tuition: $85
Required: Age 9 and up. No experience is necessary
For more information, contact: CCECS@hawaii.edu (808) 932-7830
What's also happening?
Week of September 10, 2017Next →
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaii Island. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.