Maunakea Scholars Share Their Telescope Experience - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Maunakea Scholars Share Their Telescope Experience
The next scheduled program in the Maunakea Speaker Series will be held Thursday, June 15 from 7pm to 8pm at ‘Imiloa Astronomy Center’s Planetarium.
The Maunakea Scholars program, led by Canada-France-Hawai‘i Telescope (CFHT), is a partnership among the Maunakea Observatories, Hawai‘i State Department of Education, and University of Hawaiʻi. This innovative program is designed to bring aspiring young astronomers into the observatory community by awarding observing time on world-class telescopes to Hawaiʻi high school students so they can pursue research of their own design and inspiration.
The evening presentation will include two Maunakea Scholars from Honokaʻa High School, Hokulani Sanchez and Keilani Steele. These accomplished students used their telescope time on CFHT to observe dark nebulae and study the connection to star formations in our galaxy. CFHT Director Doug Simons and Outreach Manager Mary Beth Laychak will round out the presentation with details about the past, present and future of this unique education program.
The Maunakea Speaker Series is free and open to the public.
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 933-0734
What's also happening?
Week of June 11, 2017Next →
Holiday observed: King Kamehameha I Day
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
- 2019-20 FAFSA Available October 1st
- Effective October 1, 2018, students can complete their 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov. To receive priority consideration, complete your FAFSA by February 1, 2019. ...
- 4th Annual HIplan Business Plan Competition Submissions Open
- This business plan competition is open to individuals or groups (for-profit or non-profit) whose business plan focuses on developing startup or expanding a business based on Hawaii Island. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.