Aparna Ramaswamy presents They Rose at Dawn - Event Details
This event has concluded and is no longer current.
Aparna Ramaswamy presents They Rose at Dawn
Location: UH Hilo Performing Arts Center
Under the direction of Ranee and Aparna Ramaswamy, Ragamala Dance Company's work explores the dynamic tension between the ancestral and the contemporary. As choreographers and performers, Ranee and Aparna create dance landscapes that dwell in opposition—secular and spiritual life, inner and outer worlds, human and natural concerns, rhythm and stillness—to find the transcendence that lies in between. As mother and daughter, each brings her generational experience to the work—the rich traditions, deep philosophical roots, and ancestral wisdom of India meeting and merging with the curiosity, openness, and creative freedom fostered in the United States.
They Rose at Dawn is a solo work, depicting women as carriers of ritual. Navigating inner and outer worlds, invoking a sense of reverence, of unfolding mystery, of imagination. A stellar 5 piece Carnatic musical ensemble accompanies Aparna Ramaswamy as she explores the spontaneous interplay between music and movement and the dynamic contours created by the artists onstage.
“the eye often goes straight to Ms. Ramaswamy’s impeccable technique and incandescent beauty. Through her dancing, the music’s textures come into view”
– Siobhan Burke, The New York Times
“Aparna Ramaswamy is a vision of sculptural lucidity whose dancing brings a full-bodied awareness to complex rhythms and shifts of dynamics.” – Gia Kourlas, The New York Times
The presentation of They Rose at Dawn was made possible by the New England Foundation for the Arts’ National Dance Project, with lead funding from the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation and The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, with additional support from the National Endowment for the Arts.
For disability accommodations, please contact Dori Yamada at (808) 932-7496 (V) or (808) 933-3334 (TTY) at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Special Restrictions: Tickets are reserved seating: Advance Sales: $25 General, $20 Discount, $12 Students w/ Valid ID & Children 17 & under. At the Door: $30 General, $25 Discount, $17 UHH/HCC Student/Child
Call 932-7490 or order online at arts center.uhh.hawaii.edu
For more information, contact: email@example.com (808) 932-7490
What's also happening?
|Week of March 5, 2017||Next →|
- UH Hilo Student Association Seeks CAFNRM, KHʻUOK Senators
- Are you interested in leadership? UHHSA currently has two vacant positions open for the College of Agriculture, Forestry & Natural Resource Management Senator and Ka Haka ʻUla O Keʻelikōlani College of Hawaiian Language Senator. ...
- Freshmen 'Eleu (Mandatory Advising)
- Freshmen, your advisor will be sending you an email to set up an appointment to meet with him or her. Please check your email!
- Study Abroad Applications due October 1st
- Explore the world and earn college credit. If you are considering studying abroad for the Fall 2019 or the 2019-20 academic year, you need to submit your application by October 1, 2018. Applications are available at: hilo.hawaii. ...
- Vulcan Video Productions ( VVP) is looking for new members!
- Aloha! Vulcan Video Productions (VVP) is looking for new members for the 2018-19 academic year. If you have some media based background, the following positions are available: Promotions Manager, Technology Manager, and Productions Manager. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Leader Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a Leader remember that the deadline to apply is October 5, 2018. ...
- Hilo Vet Center @ Campus Center for Outreach Services
- Maricar S. Souza, Veteran Outreach Specialist, from the Hilo Vet Center will be located at the Campus Center Plaza for Fall 2018 from 9 am - 2 pm on the following dates: October 9 October 30 November 13 November 27 December 4 You may ...
- Students of Hawaii Advanced Research Project (SHARP)
- Interested in biomedical or biobehavioral research? Join our Students of Hawai‘i Advanced Research Project team. Go to www.uhhilo-SHARP.org to discover how to get paid while learning.
- Pre-Law Club is looking for new members
- Awesome and active club for future attorneys or law officers. Contact club President Harley Broyles at firstname.lastname@example.org to join or for more information.
- APIA Scholarships
- UH Hilo undergraduate students of Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander and Asian American backgrounds who are U.S. ...
- Break Thru Adventures (BTA) Participant Application Deadline
- Hey Vulcans! If any of you are interested in joining Break Thru Adventures as a participant remember that the final deadline to apply is January 14, 2019, with a priority deadline on November 16. ...
- UH Hilo RISO Registration is Now Open!
- The 2018-2019 academic year UH Hilo RISO registration period is now open. The final day to register will be April 19, 2019. For the registration pack and information regard UH Hilo clubs please visit our website. hilo.hawaii. ...
- What is ʻOpihi?
- ʻOpihi is UH Hilo's brand for student retention and graduation. We also communicate relevant information and possibilities to help students succeed and thrive at UH Hilo. Be sure to regularly out hilo.hawaii. ...
- Student Lingo Now Available!
- Student Lingo is a series of student success workshops for all UH Hilo students, available online and 24/7. ...
Disclaimer: The University of Hawaii at Hilo is not responsible for the contents, links and/or materials presented in any web site listed above that is not of the “hilo.hawaii.edu” or “.uhh.hawaii.edu” domains. All comments, complaints and grievances should be filed with the author, host and/or owner of said site.